RoverAndOut

Football Manager Sacking Bingo 3

Lee Bradbury out at NL Eastleigh after a poor start.

Doesn't look as if anyone had him.

• Like 2

Well, after tonight's EFL Cup matches, I'd say the two results that particularly stand out on first glance are Sheffield Wednesday losing at home to Mansfield and Leeds losing away to Salford (both on penalties). Neither have had a good start to the season and both losing to League 2 opposition will only pile the pressure on Xisco Munoz and Daniel Farke. Why I haven't got Farke on my list I don't know - I assumed his Championship pedigree and a recently relegated Premier League squad would comfortably be top 6 material at least!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can see Wrexham AFC wanting a new manager because since entering league 2 they have been a bit underwhelming, star striker is injured and their star goalkeeper has retired. Also they want a Hollywood ending to fit with the Netflix show I assume.

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

I can see Wrexham AFC wanting a new manager because since entering league 2 they have been a bit underwhelming, star striker is injured and their star goalkeeper has retired. Also they want a Hollywood ending to fit with the Netflix show I assume.

I think they're also trying to look like good guys, and I don't think a quick knee-jerk sacking would fit that narrative. I think they're more realistic than the bookies who predicted Wrexham to win League Two at a canter (although that was largely down to lots of punters throwing their money at them) and probably won't change managers until January at the earliest, and even then only if they're in danger of relegation or if the fans have turned against Parkinson.

Having said that, he'll probably be sacked tomorrow :D

Another EFL result might put on some pressure. Harrogate may be three points clear of the League Two drop zone with two wins from five games but the problem tonight was that the 0-8 drubbing they suffered at the hands of Championship Blackburn took place at Harrogate, Blackburn weren't at full strength and the stats showed 27 goal attempts by the visitors against two for Harrogate. Likely even the sedate hamlet of Harrogate heard muttering on the way out of the ground.

It'd be national news if Simon Weaver went, mind - longest serving manager in the Football League by well over five years (appointed 2009), he took the club into the EFL and his dad is chairman. To put it another way, he's 14 years and 98 days further into his job than the current manager at Charlton! 

• Like 1

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Another EFL result might put on some pressure. Harrogate may be three points clear of the League Two drop zone with two wins from five games but the problem tonight was that the 0-8 drubbing they suffered at the hands of Championship Blackburn took place at Harrogate, Blackburn weren't at full strength and the stats showed 27 goal attempts by the visitors against two for Harrogate. Likely even the sedate hamlet of Harrogate heard muttering on the way out of the ground.

It'd be national news if Simon Weaver went, mind - longest serving manager in the Football League by well over five years (appointed 2009), he took the club into the EFL and his dad is chairman. To put it another way, he's 14 years and 98 days further into his job than the current manager at Charlton! 

As a Rovers fan, whose side only got 490-odd away tickets in a 4,500 seater stadium when the attendance was 2,500-odd, I don't think there were many people there to mutter in the first place. Anyway, superb night for the Mighty Blues, 10 changes from Saturday, 4 up at the break, an average age of 21 at the full time whistle and a 16-year-old at the back! The last 3 were scored by academy lads, the last 2 were both on their senior debut, it's the first time we've scored 8 since we beat West Ham 8-2 on Boxing Day 1963 (you know, THAT set of Boxing Day scores that's trotted out every December) and our biggest away win in our history. Anyway, I'm not in any way disappointed I couldn't get there tonight (despite being a season ticket holder and going to 5 away games last season, I didn't make the cut for the allocation). Might cause some mutterings, but I think Harrogate are just pleased to be in the Football League really.

Dyche was looking dicey until the late turnaround at Doncaster and Heckingbottom's Sheffield United lost at home to Lincoln tonight! Won't be too long before another one's gone somewhere methinks, although they may at least wait until after the transfer window's closed now.

Oh, and @ladyfiona, good Wrexham knowledge! It will be an interesting test for Mr Nice Guy Ryan Reynolds as to how long he can keep his finger away from the trigger for. Does the magic wear off if they get relegated...?

• Like 1

Re the post above, as someone very familiar with League Two standards for many years I'm confident Wrexham and Notts County will both escape the drop this season. It's been a topic of pre-match-pint banter amongst my fellow Carlisle fans for some time that the top 6-8 National League teams could likely be swapped with as many in the bottom of League Two without greatly diluting the quality in the EFL. In fact, some fifth tier teams likely benefit from consistent good seasons at that level and perpetually avoiding promotion. Woking or Bromley, for example, get reasonable crowds, win way more than they lose and generally enjoy themselves. The point being there are teams like them towards the bottom of League Two, Harrogate  and Crawley come to mind, who set out to survive most seasons, and tend to hit the target, but on the odd occasion I find myself in a pre-match pub with their fans they're not the happiest individuals. 

I saw Notts County shred Maidstone United on the last day of last season and reckoned them easily as good as most of the League Two teams I'd seen. With only two teams up from fifth to fourth each season, there's a glut of well-run and competent clubs who get stuck. Wrexham being one in 2022. This season Wrexham only need to be better than the usual struggling minnows to survive, and they definitely will be. I think they'll be in the mix all season, but automatic promotion may be a big ask. I was at Bradford for the first play-off game with Carlisle, 20,000+ in the ground, really good home side and we still did them over two games. MK Dons were probably unlucky to come down and Gillingham with their new owners and input of cash are also likely to be strong. Notts County likely up here too. So the automatic places will be a good fight IMHO. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

The first person to reach 2 hits!

If only it was sprint not a marathon...(or should that be a snickers?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Not quite sure where this development for Colin at Huddersfield Town fits in this game

If this contributes to the eventual winning of the game will there be a stewards enquiry a bit later when Huddersfield take him back around the time he turns 80?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

If this contributes to the eventual winning of the game will there be a stewards enquiry a bit later when Huddersfield take him back around the time he turns 80?

Statement from Huddersfield Town  It is being portrayed as something that has always been on the cards, waiting till HTFC found the right long term appointment but he signed a 1 year contract in May so I am wondering whether the less than impressive start to the season from the Terriers has focused the decision making process (as it were)

A busy weekend on the managerial merry-go-round, and a good one for @Great Uncle Bulgaria and @Sly Ronnie.

First, David Unsworth was sacked by third bottom of the National League Oldham. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66836860 He was a unique pick for GUB.

Then Billy Dodds was sacked by bottom of the Scottish Championship Inverness Cally Thistle. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66834718 He was a unique pick for Sly Ronnie.

Finally, today, Huddersfield confirmed the weekend rumours that Neil Warnock is to be replaced after Wednesday's match. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/huddersfield-town He was picked by 5 players, including the two above, as well as @Bibliogryphon, @wannamaker and @BuffaloPhil!

This puts Great Uncle Bulgaria on 4 out front, with Sly Ronnie up to second spot on 3 and wannamaker and Bibliogryphon in third on 2. Buffalo Phil gets his first hit, leaving @Commtech Sio Bibble as the only player now yet to get off the mark!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

leaving @Commtech Sio Bibble as the only player now yet to get off the mark!

My deep interest in football is clearing helping me here.

• Haha 2

On 20/09/2023 at 18:47, Bibliogryphon said:

Cheltenham Town part company with Wade Elliott

Another miss! That's 5 of the 92 English League managers gone before the end of September - and there's still a week to go!

• Like 1

Paul Heckingbottom looks like a dead man walking - 7-0 down at home to Newcastle with still nearly a quarter of the game to go.

Although Ralf Hasenhuttl survived two 9-0 maulings at Southampton, so you never know.

8-0 now. Had Heckingbottom on me subs bench :banghead:

2 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

8-0 now. Had Heckingbottom on me subs bench :banghead:

Aye, contract to May 26 if memory serves me right, so not the cheapest sacking if Sheff Utd decide to kick him out tomorrow, also - they might at least wait to line up someone else. Given that Luton have likely bagged one relegation spot you'd think Sheffield United fancy their chances of just avoiding the drop so that's likely how the board are thinking. 

• Like 1