Sign in to follow this  
Toast

What are you drinking?

Well, we don't really start at all in the UK but I ain't half partial to an eggnog. Might have to knock one up, but I don't have any cognac so I'll probably sub in some Monkey Shoulder.

Lots of the cocktails on that list sound gorgeous. Particularly the Clover Club!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Well, we don't really start at all in the UK but I ain't half partial to an eggnog. Might have to knock one up, but I don't have any cognac so I'll probably sub in some Monkey Shoulder.

Update: Monkey Shoulder works a treat. This was the recipe I made it to and I served it warm. Made it virgin and then mixed in the whisky afterwards because that's how you do drinks when you're living with a teetotalist.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've got some Warninks in the fridge ..........

Muff. Not really my usual thing but it has proven tobe pretty moreish.

420352913_Screenshot2023-11-25at03_09_25.thumb.png.0b33736064bc6cf2bb80a46a4b31a0e3.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TQR said:

Muff. Not really my usual thing but it has proven tobe pretty moreish.

420352913_Screenshot2023-11-25at03_09_25.thumb.png.0b33736064bc6cf2bb80a46a4b31a0e3.png

You could use it to wash down something from the chippy.

FB_IMG_1699705547450.jpg

• Haha 3

On 13/11/2023 at 01:34, Toast said:

While in the off licence I spotted a bottle of Crème de Pêches, reduced from £15.99 to a tenner.  Snapped it up.  Turned out that the screw top was faulty, luckily they are mostly standard and a rummage in the recycling produced a suitable replacement.

I always figured that DL forum members were the responsible type. This is the very definition of 'reduce, reuse, recycle'!

On 21/11/2023 at 22:21, TQR said:

Update: Monkey Shoulder works a treat. This was the recipe I made it to and I served it warm. Made it virgin and then mixed in the whisky afterwards because that's how you do drinks when you're living with a teetotalist.

I rarely find any eggnog in the shops and have experimented with recipes with 'mixed' results.  Thanks for this @TQR, I'll give it a go.  I now also have a source to point to when I get horrified looks for mentioning I like rum in my eggnog.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Evil Grimace said:

I rarely find any eggnog in the shops

I don't know where you are, but most big supermarkets in England have Warninks Advocaat, at least in the winter.  Generally £11 to £13 a bottle.

• Thanks 1

While we were out and about earlier we went to Nisha Katona’s restaurant, Mowgli, in Camden. Truly stunning food and nice novelty swings instead of chairs, 10/10 would recommend…but anyway, back on topic, they did possibly the best Old Fashioned I’ve ever had, with Monkey Shoulder, apricot liqueur, black cardamom and curry leaf.

• Like 2

Brought home a bottle of Riga Black Balsam. It smells like Calpol/Ribena and opens up your sinuses. Would recommend in shot form.

Riga-Balzams-Currant-Balsam-50cl-1.thumb.png.02849ca21f6defd2e49cecf6282efa69.png

• Like 2

Jäger Old Fashioned

Jägermeister, whisky, maple syrup, chocolate bitters

Great combination. So glad I won that bottle of Jägermeister at the fete back in the summer. Not something I'd have thought of buying, but it's very versatile.

• Shocked 1

Apple Sour. No I don't mean Sourz, I mean Berentzen apple schnapps, lemon juice, vodka and soda water. Makes the side of your jaw tingle.

• Like 1

Currently sipping a Vanessa Polk (no, me neither)

Rum, cherry brandy, Angostura bitters, chocolate bitters

I made this with Lamb's rather than the suggested Appletons.   Packs quite a punch but nice flavours.

That's the last of the tiny sample of chocolate bitters I had. I may shell out for more some time, but I already have Angostura, orange, and Peychaud's, so not in a hurry.

Blow Job  (sorry)

Grand Marnier, banana liqueur, coffee liqueur

Very tasty indeed.

Although Giffard Banane du Brésil is so delicious that it seems a wicked waste to mix it with anything else.

• Like 1

Various high strength Christmas themed guest beers in a local pub - can't remember their names, and can't be bothered to head back to the bar to find out.

Incidentally one of my former DDP joker picks in in here too. Still very much alive, but he has crashed out of the Isle Of Man TT twice, so it's only by luck that he's still here at all!

• Like 2

Candy Cane Martini♥️ This looks delicious!!
Ingredients
2 ounces of vodka (quality of vodka isn’t as important in this recipe as other vodka forward cocktails)
1 ounce white creme de cacao
1 ounce white creme de menthe
Whipped cream
Candy canes for garnish
Directions
In a cocktail shaker with ice, add vodka, crushed candy canes, white creme de cacao and white creme de menthe
Give it a good shake until ingredients are chilled and well combined
You can prepare the glass in two festive ways, either adding whipped cream and crushed candy canes to the drink after preparing it in a martini glass or rimming the glass with corn syrup and crushed candy canes prior to adding the prepared cocktail.
(Idea from Pinterest)

image.thumb.jpeg.496587358794a7902566de63d9d25050.jpeg
  • Like 1

Haven't been drinking much over Christmas but have just made myself an

East India No. 2

Brandy, Grand Marnier, pineapple juice, passion fruit syrup, angostura bitters.

(It's meant to be pineapple syrup but it wasn't worth opening a tin of pineapple for that so I subbed in passion fruit syrup as suggested in the comments.)

Strong and fruity!

Small carton of pineapple juice opened, so will look for more drinks that call for it.

• Like 1

I've been drinking a fair old whack over Christmas, been entertaining guests every day since the 24th. I hereby declare that my posts hereabouts in the first couple of weeks of Jan will be dedicated to some lovely non-alc beverages. This evening, though, I've been on the beers, and now the Don Julio Blanco and Fever Tree Lime Soda. Basic bitch, I know. Nothing elaborate like the delish sounding offering above.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Small carton of pineapple juice opened, so will look for more drinks that call for it.

This? Chilli is optional but strongly recommended.

• Thanks 1

There's a meme thread for this stuff.

On 29/12/2023 at 01:25, TQR said:

This? Chilli is optional but strongly recommended.

Just made one of these. With chilli of course.  Excellent.

Tablespoon measures:

3 tequila

4 pineapple juice

2 triple sec

1½ lime juice

Shaken with an inch of red chilli, sliced.

• Like 1