Sign in to follow this  
Toast

What are you drinking?

3 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

Ha, I also had to chuckle here.  Back in my college days, Pabst was one of a few beers that we commonly drank only because it was so affordable.  I'm remembering less than $3 a sixpack, along with Schaffer's and Mickey's.  But even so we considered it barely palatable.  If we had funds to spare, we would splurge on Michelob or Heineken.  I have heard that a similar marketing feat has occurred with the Aussie beer Foster's, which we enjoy as a decent import but I've heard it is considered the dregs in its home country.    Enjoy what you enjoy!

He! He! Additionally my Canadian friends inform me that Moosehead Beer is crap — yet in my youth it was considered to be good — probably because it has a cute name. 

• Like 1

A peachy Viognier from le Languedoc. Paired perfectly with some spicy Singapore noodles.

Hard night last night. (Based on a true story. Only the names are changed to protect the innocent.)

image.thumb.jpeg.0a86277413e2eec27df99d225ac39a33.jpeg

• Haha 2

Chocolate Biscuit

Brandy, crème de cacao, Kahlua

Very rich and strong, and not as sweet as one might expect. I floated a little cream on top just to make it naughtier. :evil2:

On 07/09/2023 at 23:25, theoldlady said:

He! He! Additionally my Canadian friends inform me that Moosehead Beer is crap — yet in my youth it was considered to be good — probably because it has a cute name. 

I liked Moosehead too!   Haven't seen it in a long time . . . . 

• Like 1

Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer with ice, fresh lime juice, a wedge of lime and a double measure of Dead Man's Fingers rum, with a Vasco de Gama Sumatra, sat outside cos it's still 23C. One of those "actually, life's alright" moments.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TQR said:

Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer with ice, fresh lime juice, a wedge of lime and a double measure of Dead Man's Fingers rum, with a Vasco de Gama Sumatra, sat outside cos it's still 23C. One of those "actually, life's alright" moments.

Inspired me to try an Anejo Highball

Made mine with dark rum, triple sec, lime juice and ginger beer. A dash of orange bitters instead of the standard angostura.  Very refreshing.

In other news, I was in Tesco today and spotted a bottle of Lagavulin on the top shelf.  I was sooooo tempted but it was £46.  I will treat myself but can't just at the moment.

• Like 1

Beringer Zinfandel — a Californian Rose wine.

image.jpeg.f122d717565a0ba6381872bd60eab070.jpeg

• Like 1

It's pretty much impossible to drink anything while in a water bed.  Spill, yes, drink, no.

• Haha 1

I've only slept on a waterbed once. I was completely sober but it made me feel completely hammered. It was bloody awful.

• Like 1

I’m not really one for a whisky neat but I bloody love an Old Fashioned. Monkey Shoulder is the whisky of choice, and a blob of orange blossom runny honey instead of the traditional sugar cube.

8 hours ago, TQR said:

I’m not really one for a whisky neat but I bloody love an Old Fashioned. Monkey Shoulder is the whisky of choice, and a blob of orange blossom runny honey instead of the traditional sugar cube.

Never tried Monkey Shoulder with that. Might get a bottle at the weekend and give it a go. 

• Like 1

I couldn't resist trying Black Forest Gateau

Vanilla vodka, Chambord raspberry liqueur, crème de cacao, kirsch, crème de cassis, cream

Some substitutions were made. 

I don't have vanilla vodka, so I used plain vodka and some Monin vanilla syrup.  No Kirsch, so subbed in cherry brandy.  No cassis, so subbed in crème de mure which I prefer.

I do have Chambord, but I completely forgot to put it in. :rolleyes:

It was still bloody delicious.

• Like 2

On 21/09/2023 at 03:07, Toast said:

I couldn't resist trying Black Forest Gateau

Vanilla vodka, Chambord raspberry liqueur, crème de cacao, kirsch, crème de cassis, cream

Some substitutions were made. 

I don't have vanilla vodka, so I used plain vodka and some Monin vanilla syrup.  No Kirsch, so subbed in cherry brandy.  No cassis, so subbed in crème de mure which I prefer.

I do have Chambord, but I completely forgot to put it in. :rolleyes:

It was still bloody delicious.

I need to try this! 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2023 at 01:55, Paul Bearer said:

Never tried Monkey Shoulder with that. Might get a bottle at the weekend and give it a go. 

I thought it ok.  I admit I’m a tough sell lol but like most ‘popular’ drams they tend to be more marketing than punch. It’s ok though.  6.5/10. Maybe TQR’s option is what is needed to spruce it up a bit.

A very reasonably priced 2014 Tempranillo from Valencia that’s been sitting on the shelf for a while, which I decanted a few hours in advance given its age. Mature stone fruitiness with a creamy smooth oak baseline. Gorgeous.

Tonight I’m having a nice Auchentoshan.  Another single malt whisky. 

Been to the pub and was on vodka and tonic, or VAT as Arthur Daley used to say.

Tobermory Gin which is an absolute barg on Amazon (well, as gins go at least). With Fever Tree Med tonic and a sprig of thyme.

Olympic

Cognac, orange curacao, orange juice, orange bitters

Subbed in Grand Marnier for the curacao, should probably have gone for Triple Sec.  A bit drier than I was expecting, but nice.

• Like 1