Sly Ronnie

Guess the date of the next UK General Election Sweepstake!

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

PoliticsUK is an account on its maybe 4th iteration, having been kicked off for spreading misinformation many times before. Crem probably fucking runs it.

I don’t. 

Anyway it is quoting Tim Shipman of the Sunday Times - and I’ve checked and it is in his article today. 

I've just thought that if Sunak (who's already ruled out January 2025) refuses to give in to sense one last time and delays the election till November, could that be the first time we see the US and UK elections take place on the same day? And how will that affect coverage of both elections in the UK? UK political journalists are gonna be spread pretty thin on the ground.

18 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

I've just thought that if Sunak (who's already ruled out January 2025) refuses to give in to sense one last time and delays the election till November, could that be the first time we see the US and UK elections take place on the same day? And how will that affect coverage of both elections in the UK? UK political journalists are gonna be spread pretty thin on the ground.

US elections are held on Tuesdays, UK General Elections on Thursdays, so there could be 2 days between them. 

1 minute ago, Sly Ronnie said:

US elections are held on Tuesdays, UK General Elections on Thursdays, so there could be 2 days between them 

Ooh yes, good point. Still, it could really test the major news outlets in this country, trying to provide informed coverage of both. The US election campaigns have a reputation for being more 'dramatic', plus the race is a lot closer there than it is here. 

29 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

You posted this in the Political Discussions thread.

It's like he's hoping for another 'Falklands moment' to breeze in and save his premiership at the last second. Maybe directing one of his diplomats to start a slapping contest with the ambassador of a poorer weaker country? 

Ooooh.

Lady Hallett's independent Covid inquiry is to issue a detailed report of the govt's woeful handling of the pandemic before the summer.

Go on then, Dr Death. Wait until the second half of the year before the election now. I dare you.

• Like 3

First election staging post coming up. If Sunak doesn't announce before around March 21st/22nd then May 2nd can be ruled out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

First election staging post coming up. If Sunak doesn't announce before around March 21st/22nd then May 2nd can be ruled out.

Parliament would have to be dissolved on the 26th at the latest apparently, which is when the Easter recess starts anyway.  

Dr Death has ruled out 2nd May.

That’s okay. The longer they’re in power, the more the party implodes and the worse election day will be for them.

• Like 1

A benefit to the American system is exaxt election dates regardless of who is in power. That's my take.

16 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

A benefit to the American system is exaxt election dates regardless of who is in power. That's my take.

Not having the power to call an early election is rather a disadvantage.

15 minutes ago, TQR said:

Not having the power to call an early election is rather a disadvantage.

In some ways. I'd say an early election seems prone to reactionary or emotional elements. There are pro's + con's with both, but I'd rather not live with such uncertainty.

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Dr Death has ruled out 2nd May.

That’s okay. The longer they’re in power, the more the party implodes and the worse election day will be for them.

I'd still prefer they just got the inevitable over with. This government's like an ancient sickly dog staggering around a room looking for a corner to die in. Why prolong the pain?  

Why host it on the same day as all the other elections and reduce the burden on people, councils and budgets? Nothing sums the last decade-and-a-half up better than the unnecessary waste of time, effort and money that's going to be caused by an autumn election.

I'm not at all bothered about getting my prediction wrong, because I know that is the only right day the election should be held. The fact it isn't being held then just shows how shallow and desperate the squatters are. Time's ticking Rishi - fuck off back to Goldman Sachs.

• Like 5

Labour's response:

773586018_Image14-03-2024at22_47.thumb.jpeg.75558055e816c3fa2e31fe5df752e409.jpeg

• Haha 4

Maybe Boris is on holiday until September.

Anyhow, he knows he going to be fisted by the electorate in any event. 

2 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

I'd still prefer they just got the inevitable over with. This government's like an ancient sickly dog staggering around a room looking for a corner to die in. Why prolong the pain?  

At twenty points behind a May election would be certain death. Waiting until autumn still gives them the tiny hope something might yet turn up to save them or mitigate the damage somewhat.

https://naomistanford.com/2009/02/09/teaching-the-horse-to-talk/

Parliament breaks for the Summer on July 23rd, which is during the school holidays so I doubt it’ll happen then.

Late June is still the second half of the year! 

6 hours ago, Father Brown said:

Parliament breaks for the Summer on July 23rd, which is during the school holidays so I doubt it’ll happen then.

Late June is still the second half of the year! 

If it's not May, it won't be June. September, October is my guess, they'll do it before the clocks go back.

• Like 1

I swear, if I find out my MP was in one of those chicken suits with Sunak's face on it....I will be incandescent with rage.

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

If it's not May, it won't be June. September, October is my guess, they'll do it before the clocks go back.

I saw the date of 10th Occtober quoted which will need to be called by 5th September 

Should make for a frenzied conference season

Will we have had the next DL hit before then?

9 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I saw the date of 10th Occtober quoted which will need to be called by 5th September 

Should make for a frenzied conference season

Will we have had the next DL hit before then?

Will conference season even happen with an election campaign ongoing at the same time? 

1 hour ago, Sod's Law said:

Will conference season even happen with an election campaign ongoing at the same time? 

Not normally. The Labour conferences of 1964 and 1974 for example were postponed until later in the year because of the elections in October of those years.

• Like 2