Sly Ronnie

Guess the date of the next UK General Election Sweepstake!

5 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Would I be right in thinking if they did push it out to Jan 2025 He'd have to go to the Palace before Christmas presumably unless the offical campaign was able be as short as 3 weeks. Election can't be held any later than Jan 28th 2025 which is a Tues which would be exteremly unlikely so your talking the 23rd or maybe the Friday or Sat as the latest the election could be 

If an election hasn't been called, Parliament automatically dissolves 5 years after the election, so December 17th 2024. The election then takes place 25 working days later (January 28th). If it was to take place Thursday, January 23rd, then dissolution would be December 12th 2024. Don't see any way of making it shorter than 25 working days, especially given Christmas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think that in 97 there was actually quite a bit of excitement about Blair/Brown.  It looked different. 

1992 was the first GE I could vote in (I missed 92 by a matter of months). The day after election day I was stunned and depressed.  I worked for British Coal at the time and one of my colleagues said during our redundancy outplacement training in answer to the question "When did you know you were going to be made redundant?" - When the Tories won the last election.

Worth remembering the country was actually improving by 1997, they were just sick of the Tories after 18 years and Labour looked a vibrant new alternative. This time, the country is insular, fractured and broke. There's not much Starmer and co. can do short term to change that situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

If an election hasn't been called, Parliament automatically dissolves 5 years after the election, so December 17th 2024. The election then takes place 25 working days later (January 28th). If it was to take place Thursday, January 23rd, then dissolution would be December 12th 2024. Don't see any way of making it shorter than 25 working days, especially given Christmas.

That's what I was kind of thinking. Still makes me wonder if they'll go to the last. Would mean a week of so campaigning lost to Christmas not it would bother the Tories that much. I still think he'll go to the Palace in the either next May/June or around Sep/Oct next year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Worth remembering the country was actually improving by 1997, they were just sick of the Tories after 18 years and Labour looked a vibrant new alternative. This time, the country is insular, fractured and broke. There's not much Starmer and co. can do short term to change that situation.

No, but they're unlikely to carry on wrecking the country and abolishing our rights and freedoms.

• Like 2

To fix the cataclysmic damage the Tories have done to this country over the past 13 years, Labour are going to need at least that amount of time again. And they have to do it in a country where austerity has cut us to the bone, debt is through the roof, growth is through the floor, people's rights and freedoms have been trashed (not to mention their finances), global standing has taken a huge knock, housing, schools and hospitals are all in complete disarray and the abhorrent press will attempt to trash them from day one. Best of luck to them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

No, but they're unlikely to carry on wrecking the country and abolishing our rights and freedoms.

Agreed, but what @TQR said. They're on a hiding to nothing.

I'm hearing more and more through the grapevine and on the SMs and stuff that the election will be in spring rather than autumn as many of us thought. From Jeremy Cunt-Hunt's autumn statement earlier, I got that impression too.

• Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, TQR said:

I'm hearing more and more through the grapevine and on the SMs and stuff that the election will be in spring rather than autumn as many of us thought. From Jeremy Cunt-Hunt's autumn statement earlier, I got that impression too.

What it seems might happen is if the polls narrow a bit or Tory Mp’s try to oust Sunak the election will be called in Spring but if neither happens their might cling on to the autumn. 

21 hours ago, TQR said:

I was listening to a pre-Autumn Statement report last week which suggested the Chancellor might bank his extra cash until the Budget in Spring to keep the measures fresh in the mind for an election and avoid wasting the positive of making people feel "better off" (such as it is). The fact he's chosen to announce the measures now and they all come in between January and April next year would support the idea that there may be a May election after all. 

• Like 2

I agree with @RoverAndOut that May is likely.  I'll be bold and say Thursday 2nd May - it keeps the measures in January and April fresh in the minds of voters and is before the bank holidays.  Easter early in 2024 on Sunday 31st March, so wouldn't break up April as a month for campaigning.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

I agree with @RoverAndOut that May is likely.  I'll be bold and say Thursday 2nd May - it keeps the measures in January and April fresh in the minds of voters and is before the bank holidays.  Easter early in 2024 on Sunday 31st March, so wouldn't break up April as a month for campaigning.

On 13/10/2023 at 22:39, RoverAndOut said:

Let's hope beyond hope that the small number of pragmatic Tories who want this done and dusted at the earliest opportunity get their way and it's held on the same day as the local elections (as it should be): May 2nd 2024.

Not that bold, I said the same thing a month ago! ;):lol:

• Haha 1

Problem, @mymango?

9 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Not that bold, I said the same thing a month ago! ;):lol:

And that's what I get for my cursory reading of previous posts!  We'll find out soon enough if we are right. @RoverAndOut thanks for keeping me honest.

• Haha 1

On 20/10/2023 at 18:58, TQR said:

To fix the cataclysmic damage the Tories have done to this country over the past 13 years, Labour are going to need at least that amount of time again. And they have to do it in a country where austerity has cut us to the bone, debt is through the roof, growth is through the floor, people's rights and freedoms have been trashed (not to mention their finances), global standing has taken a huge knock, housing, schools and hospitals are all in complete disarray and the abhorrent press will attempt to trash them from day one. Best of luck to them.

Are we still talking about the U.K.?

Emily Thornberry: “May GE is worst kept secret in parliament.”

I’d throw money on 2nd May with the LEs.

• Like 3

Still unsure where to place my vote after the gerrymandering.

25 minutes ago, Toast said:

Still unsure where to place my vote after the gerrymandering.

If it's still unclear nearer the time, let us know and I'll have a look.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TQR said:

Emily Thornberry: May GE is worst kept secret in parliament.

I’d throw money on 2nd May with the LEs.

So would I. Plus it's the only way they'll ever lend any democratic legitimacy to the PCC elections happening at the same time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

EDIT: Dw, misread.

The tories know there’s not enough left in them to last until this time next year, especially the 50-odd (so far) who will be standing down.

Why else get Cameron and Hunt back in? If Sunak wanted advice, they’re both a phone call away. Nobody wants the Cabinet jobs or they’re outgoing MPs anyway. 

They certainly won’t get rid of Sunak and do yet another leadership election in the time they have left. If budget goes tits up, plenty of time to call an election. 

May 2nd. 

The King's birthday?

It'd be very this government to pencil in the one month of the year they'd been advised not to have an election. It'll be October, though I am open to May as its closer.

• Like 1

PoliticsUK is an account on its maybe 4th iteration, having been kicked off for spreading misinformation many times before. Crem probably fucking runs it.