Sly Ronnie

Guess the date of the next UK General Election Sweepstake!

Didn't know whether to put this in the Politics thread or the Parliamentary Bingo thread, so it's here. It's the:

Guess the date of the UK General Election Sweepstake!

The last possible date is apparently January 28th 2025. Which is a Tuesday but as we know UK elections are mainly held on Thursdays - so the likely final date for polling day would be January 23rd 2025. So bear this in mind when choosing dates. We essentially have about 15 months left in the current Parliament.

I'll set the ball rolling and pick October 17th 2024.

• Like 1

24/oct/2024

• Like 1

January 28th 2025  :facepalm:

• Like 1

Friday 13th October 2023 (the date of the General Election sweepstake). What do I win?

Oi, where the fuck did the thread go?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TQR said:

Oi, where the fuck did the thread go?

It’s right here. 

7th November 2024 (unfortunately)

31st October 2024, though tbh I think Diego is on the money.

• Like 1

May 9th, 2024

Edited by Dying Probably
correcting error (neither the original or this date weren't taken anyway)

Let's hope beyond hope that the small number of pragmatic Tories who want this done and dusted at the earliest opportunity get their way and it's held on the same day as the local elections (as it should be): May 2nd 2024.

• Like 2

@Bentrovato and @Dying Probably - either you've calculated wrong or you don't think the election will be held on a Thursday as usual!

I'm taking @Toast's guess as being a "glass completely empty" prediction, rather than something serious. :lol:

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

@Bentrovato and @Dying Probably - either you've calculated wrong or you don't think the election will be held on a Thursday as usual!

I'm taking @Toast's guess as being a "glass completely empty" prediction, rather than something serious. :lol:

Arse, I've got my calendar with Sunday at the front. Fixed

• Like 1

Just now, Dying Probably said:

Arse, I've got my calendar with Sunday at the front. Fixed

Easily done, only thought it fair to alert you just in case in the spirit of fair play! :D:lol:

• Thanks 1

As far as I know, UK General Elections don't have to be on a Thursday. It's just a convention. Personally, I think a General Election should held over the weekend - Saturday & Sunday 8am-8pm. That's 24 hrs of voting, giving people plenty of time to vote. We would know by midnight who has won.

7 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

As far as I know, UK General Elections don't have to be on a Thursday. It's just a convention. Personally, I think a General Election should held over the weekend - Saturday & Sunday 8am-8pm. That's 24 hrs of voting, giving people plenty of time to vote. We would know by midnight who has won.

The last General Election not held on a Thursday was in 1931 (92 years and 23 elections ago). It will (I'm 99% sure) be on a Thursday.

11 of the 23 elections in that time have been held in either May or June and there have been a couple of outliers with a single election each in April and July. There's actually been elections in 9 of the 12 months of the year since 1931 (with a, perhaps, surprising number in October):

May - 6 (2015, 2010, 2005, 1997, 1979, 1955)

June - 5 (2017, 2001, 1987, 1983, 1970)

October - 5 (1974, 1964, 1959, 1951, 1931)

February - 2 (1974, 1950)

December - 1 (2019)

April - 1 (1992)

March - 1 (1966)

July - 1 (1945)

November - 1 (1935)

• Like 1

If the Tories do wait until the bitter end, I think it'll be the first GE held in January since 1910.

• Like 2

12th December 2024 :(

5 years since the previous GE. Results day would be, like today, Friday the 13th. Appropriate.

3 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

12th December 2024 :(

5 years since the previous GE. Results day would be, like today, Friday the 13th. Appropriate.

The Tories are desperate for power, but they're not suicidal. The drubbing they're likely to get will be even bigger if they make people go to the polls at Christmas again.

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The Tories are desperate for power, but they're not suicidal. The drubbing they're likely to get will be even bigger if they make people go to the polls at Christmas again.

I would normally agree but I think the current leadership WILL drag it out for as long as possible, for better or for worse.

5 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I would normally agree but I think the current leadership WILL drag it out for as long as possible, for better or for worse.

Probably true, but I do think some of them might consider that a Dec/Jan election screams even more desperation to cling on than normal. By November though, inflation should be un-Trussed and they'll be fairly fresh from conference season and all in the mood to stand up and fight and when they stand up and fight their piggy little Tory cunt neighbours will stand up and fight and when they stand up and fight Cecilia will stand up and fight etc. etc. 

• Haha 1

Is there a holiday or special legislative reason that would make holding an election at that time likely?

6 minutes ago, lilham said:

Is there a holiday or special legislative reason that would make holding an election at that time likely?

Not really. Parliament is in recess from late Jul to early Sep for summer, late Sep to mid Oct for conferences and late Dec to early Jan for Christmas, but apart from that, though late spring is traditional election time, there's nothing to say it can't or won't be held any other time of year. The most recent GE was in December but that was largely for "Get Brexshit Done" reasons.

Rishi is arguably more likely to wait as long as possible because a) he knows he's very likely in big trouble, and b) there's more time for certain economic parameters to recover slightly from their currently fucked state - damage limitation innit. Mind, running down the clock won't do his already pathetic image any good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Whoops. I am old and my eyesight is failing. 5 September 2024. 

• Like 2