Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2024 Deathlist

3 hours ago, Comped said:

despite a day or two of delays for most UK outlets compared to Canadian/US outlets where it was immediate

There was no delay in Lightfoot getting an obit. 

• Like 1

Surely Ozzy should get the coveted number 50 spot?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Surely Ozzy should get the coveted number 50 spot?

How about Sharon and Ozzy replacing the Carters (assuming Jimmy isn't here to start the year)? 

Una Kay, Michael Sinelnikoff, Jean Lodge, and Robert Solow should all be on the list.

49 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

There was no delay in Lightfoot getting an obit. 

Guardian didn't publish their obit (online at least) until 2 days after he died, while the Telegraph waited a about a day (same with the BBC). Which is a bit of a delay. Not massive, but certainly not quick either.

2 minutes ago, Comped said:

Guardian didn't publish their obit (online at least) until 2 days after he died, while the Telegraph waited a about a day (same with the BBC). Which is a bit of a delay. Not massive, but certainly not quick either.

That's hardly a delay. 

You clearly have no idea at all about how well known some North American artists are in the UK.  We do, so be told.

For the record, if you say Lily Tomlin, I immediately think "9 to 5". And I've never even seen that film.

• Like 1

One of the longest serving cast members of Britain's longest running broadcast serial drama   ,103 year old actress June Spencer, also known as Peggy Archer/Woolley in Radio 4s The Archers  .

I think her age and her unique role and achievement in the above description  makes June a very noteworthy candidate. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Comped said:

Guardian didn't publish their obit (online at least) until 2 days after he died, while the Telegraph waited an about a day (same with the BBC). Which is a bit of a delay. Not massive, but certainly not quick either.

You really don’t know what you’re talking about at all. They only posted “a day later” because Lightfoot’s death was announced late in the day and it’s already the next day in the UK. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Comped said:

Guardian didn't publish their obit (online at least) until 2 days after he died

Not to pile on but lol, what? His death was announced 9:30 Ontario time on May 1, and they had an obit up for him an hour later.

• Like 1

As the latest reports of his condition have sounded increasingly negative, perhaps it's time to include Michael Schumacher? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3trosso said:

Toby Keith has been battling stomach cancer and looks rough these days.

Jimmy Carter most likely (if he makes it out of 2023)

Phil Collins

There's always a shock death of the year - I nominate Britney Spears

Former Treasury Secretary W. Michael Blumenthal turns 98 next year.

Former Defense Secretary William J. Perry turns 97 next year

Johnny Gilbert the Jeopardy Announcer turns 96 next year

Chevy Chase has been dealing with health issues

Vince McMahon

Jerry Jones

Michael J Fox's Parkinsons has gotten significantly worse

Liza Minelli was looking rough during that awards show appearance with Lady Gaga

Willie Mays 

Chevy Chase, Vince McMahon and Phil Colins are great names with legit and well documented health issues over the years. Toby Keith is a great one as well. The others are too American though.

I am going to toss a few names.

Jack Nicholson:Reclusive at this stage while his dementia is likely an exaggeration what isn't is the fact that he is 86 and morbidly obese.

King Salman of Saudi Arabia:Around the same as Jack Nicholson. Leader of Saudi Arabia in name only since in actuality his son crown Prince Mohammad Salman has been running the show for quite some time owning to King Salmans ill health. 

Ryan O'Neil: One of Hollywood's biggest junkies back in the day is now nearing his mid 80s and has had heart issues in the past.

Mathair Mohammad:Malaysian politician with a history of heart issues has made headlines in the UK before.

Vanessa Redgrave: I don't know how she's still alive at this point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tracy said:

Not to pile on but lol, what? His death was announced 9:30 Ontario time on May 1, and they had an obit up for him an hour later.

Weird. Shows as significantly later on my page (the next day in the evening). Might be because of my timezone?

The DeathList has already missed 2 James Bonds, it cannot afford to miss another (especially as Lazenby looks so rough at the moment).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

Chevy Chase, Vince McMahon and Phil Colins are great names with legit and well documented health issues over the years. Toby Keith is a great one as well. The others are too American though.

Jack Nicholson:Reclusive at this stage while his dementia is likely an exaggeration what isn't is the fact that he is 86 and morbidly obese.

King Salman of Saudi Arabia:Around the same as Jack Nicholson. Leader of Saudi Arabia in name only since in actuality his son crown Prince Mohammad Salman has been running the show for quite some time owning to King Salmans ill health. 

Ryan O'Neil: One of Hollywood's biggest junkies back in the day is now nearing his mid 80s and has had heart issues in the past.

Mathair Mohammad:Malaysian politician with a history of heart issues has made headlines in the UK before.

You've made some great suggestions especially Ryan O'Nealand Vanessa Redgrave  but I disagree that all the other names you commented  on are too american.  Michael J Fox is synonymous with  Back to the future which is an absolutely iconic  film franchise and cultural phenomenon. 

7 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

The DeathList has already missed 2 James Bonds, it cannot afford to miss another (especially as Lazenby looks so rough at the moment).

Three misses if you count Bob Holness. 

Russell.M.Nelson,Buzz Oldrin and as many politicians as possible.

19 hours ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

"Too American Though" Love it XD

How about ole Ron Jeremy - He just got released into house arrest due to dementia issues. 

a few names for consideration (the rest of my suggestions have pretty much already been mentioned):

• Robert Munsch (78) Author - dementia since 2020, former alcoholic and cocaine abuser (daughter has been teasing an epsiode of her podcast with him for over a year but hasn't posted it... i'm probably just reading too much into it, but maybe he's near the end and she's been saving this episode for when he passes?).
  • Tom Smothers (87) Comedian - stage 2 blood cancer but he claimed in July the prognosis is good (just ignore the fact that he's selling a lot of his possessions, as well as his ranch home, in recent weeks).
  • Jean Chrétien (90) Canadian Prime Minister - history of health issues (quadruple bypass surgery, brain surgery, kidney stones), lost his wife in 2020, worth a punt
  • Alice Munro (92) Author - previous health issues (coronary-artery bypass surgery, cancer treatment), too frail to attend her Nobel Prize ceremeony a decade ago, retired from public life (she'll be on my list until she dies).
  • Ryan O'Neal (82) Actor - mentioned above already (sorry to repeat), but no one mentioned his decade-long battle with Stage 2 prostate cancer in additional to his other health problems.
  • David Soul (80) Actor (and singer?) - Hutch (of 'Starsky and Hutch' fame) previous battle with lung cancer (requiring palliative care) and ongoing health issues with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)

less UK-famous and/or less pressing health issues:

• Josef Fritzl (88) Murderer/Rapist - reportedly suffering from demenita for a few years in prison, doesn't even have his own wiki page though (if that's the minimum fame criteria).
  • George Thorogood (74) Musician/Singer - unnamed 'serious medical condition' earlier this year, finished his tour but hasn't scheduled any more shows since. might be nothing.
  • Paul Henderson (81) Hockey Player - suffering from chronic lymphocytic leukemia since 2009, was receptive to treatment at first but has since had to switch and has had a few setbacks.
  • Jesse Jackson (82) Civil Rights Activitst, Politician - parkinson's since 2017, hospitalized in recent years (caught COVID and suffered a head injury), retired from his presidential role in the civil rights organization PUSH earlier this year due to health.
  • Dr. Ruth Westheimer (95) Sex Therapist - old and cancelled a few appearances in the last year; hope she sticks around for a while though.
  • Cale Yarborough (85) NASCAR 'Legend' - family says he's in failing health with super rare genetic disorder, no cure and will continue to decline, family is asking for prayers.
  • Laurent de Brunhoff (98) Author and Illustrator "Babar the Elephant" - has been publishing the Babar books since 1946 (continuing his father's legacy), not much health news but he is old af if you hadn't noticed.
  • Like 3

Another NASCAR legend I wonder about is Fred Lorenzen, 88 who has been in an assisted-living facility with dementia since at least 2016, but started having memory issues 10 years prior. His family has promised to donate his brain after his death.

On 01/12/2023 at 17:09, 3trosso said:

How about ole Ron Jeremy - He just got released into house arrest due to dementia issues. 

He’s fucked. 

shocked i haven’t seen gary busey being named. if you look at his tiktok account he looks awful but then again being 79 with brain damage will do that to a mf 

• Like 2