Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2024 Deathlist

May be 1 or 2 famous names in classical music ? They are a lot to be in bad health : Seiji Ozawa, Daniel Baremboim, Martha Argerich, Zubin Mehta, Michael Tilson Thomas

• Like 4

Amartya sen

sandra day o connor

king salman of saudi arabia

frank gehry

daniel baremboim

buzz aldrin (considering all the astonaut we lost recently) 

bernadette Chirac !

10 minutes ago, tracy said:

Cheney has obviously been a premature pick up to this point, but I think he's now at the stage where including him is reasonable. His doctor gave him 10 years to live in 2012, and obviously he'll a couple years past that by 2024. He definitely could live another few years, but he won't make 90 and given that he's already been on five lists I can't see them taking the risk of cutting him now.

I think What appeals them with cheney is the heart attack factor : different from cancer or old age which are the main cause of inclusion on the list. But he’s a boring pick : if he had die the first Time on the list it would have been genius but now it’s just relentnesness at this point and I wouldn’t mind if they miss him.

Some guys with no mentions in this thread yet that I think would make decent picks:

• Dabney Coleman. 92 in 2024, had cancer a decade ago, hasn't appeared in anything in a few years. I figure he'd make a good character actor name to replace Ackland (or a drop like Linden.)
  • Louis Gossett Jr. 88 in 2024, still appearing in stuff but noticeably physically weaker now, nearly died of COVID and a cancer survivor. Didn't look too hot in April IMO: https://youtu.be/rZGxgUFTPdU?t=811 I'd be surprised if he had many years ahead of him.
  • George J. Mitchell. 91 in 2024, previously battled prostate cancer and leukemia. Said this year he's doing better but didn't seem confident he'll be around for too much longer.
  • Hou Hsiao-hsien. 77 in 2024, hugely influential Taiwanese filmmaker who has had dementia for years, and it only recently got bad enough that it became public info which suggests he doesn't have too long left. Could be a good more "cult-style" pick.
  • Alejandro Jodorowsky. 95 in 2024, similar cult-style pick as the above only he's way older. Several health issues over the years and has outlived several family members.
  • Jim Lovell. 96 in 2024, not very high-profile anymore and recently became a widower, would be very surprising if he saw 2025.
  • Roger Corman. 98 in 2024, still doing well his age (if a bit frailer than he was a few years ago) but is enough of an aged A-lister that I think he should be on the list from now on.
  • Like 3

Alex Ferguson, Pat Jennings, Harry Redknapp, Alan Brazil. Needs someone football related. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Alex Ferguson, Pat Jennings, Harry Redknapp, Alan Brazil. Needs someone football related. 

Surely time for Terry Venables to make his list debut?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I still say Robert Solow, he'll be 100 next year.

1 minute ago, tracy said:

• Jim Lovell. 96 in 2024, not very high-profile anymore and recently became a widower, would be very surprising if he saw 2025.

Seconding Lovell, DL still needs an astronaut and him and Buzz are probably the last from that generation to be well known enough for the front page

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Yep and Venables much more likely than Jennings, Redknapp and Ferguson IMO

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Good call. Forgotten about that old rogue. 

Rex Williams would be a suitably Ronniesque name to add to the pot.

39 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Stan Bowles could also be a candidate.

Kind of an outside-the-box pick, but I wonder if Greg "Fingers" Taylor would be worth a chance? He was Jimmy Buffett's longtime harmonica player until he was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease at least 10 years ago. Average life expectancy is between 3 to 11 years. From what I've heard on Buffett fan groups on Facebook, he hasn't made a public comment about his passing, so I'm not sure if he's aware of it? I'm sort of surprised he outlived Buffett but Taylor is also a few years younger than Buffett was.

Sandra Day O’Connor will be dead within the next 2 or 3 years. Put her on the 2024 list or lose the chance altogether.

She would be a very good replacement for Mrs. Carter (and possibly her husband).

I think it is also time to add Clint Eastwood (or Jack Nicholson), there are a lot less notable names on the DL list with less issues. 

• Like 9

Pete Sampras.......'s wife

And what you all said

Oh, how could I forget…

Ruth Langford‘s mother. 

• Haha 16

David Attenborough, Michael Caine, Rupert Murdoch. Esther Rantzen, Marion Ross

• Like 1

David Attenborough, Douglas Hurd, James Whale and Denis Law should return.

Patricia Routledge feels overdue an appearance. Pope Francis is getting increasingly frail and it would be a shame to miss another Pope. Franz Beckenbauer, Sandra Day O'Connor, Roberta Flack, Jean Marsh and Rupert Murdoch would be decent additions.

Seeing as all of the above have already been mentioned on this thread, I'm throw in one suggestion that I've mentioned in the past but who hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet. Actor Steve Halliwell, Zak on Emmerdale, has been absent from the soap since June. He is a former alcoholic and has had heart issues in the past, and in his last appearance in June he looked and sounded quite poorly.

Emmerdale-4813289.avif?r=1687210065856

• Like 3

He has been suggested before, but I would say that John Astin would be a good pick

• Like 3

Jonnie Irwin

Duke of Kent

Linda Nolan

Rob Burrow

George Eastham

Shane MacGowan

Esther Rantzen

Roberta Flack

Simon Cowell (wildlife)

Franz Beckenbauer

Michael Tilson Thomas

Nigel Starmer-Smith

James Whale

Are all famous, solid picks in ill-health.

If you want to add an aged sportsman, then Parnelli Jones is getting increasingly frail.

Based on current 2023 DL standings, here’s who I’d have as keeps, returnees and newcomers to make up the 2024 Deathlist

Keeps

Dick Van Dyke

Henry Kissinger

Alan Greenspan

Nigel Starmer-Smith

Jimmy Carter

Mel Brooks

Jacques Delors

Ethel Kennedy

Robert Wagner

Norman Tebbit

Bob Newhart

Joanne Woodward

Stanley Baxter

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Cleo Laine

Yoko Ono

Norman Lear

Marianne Faithfull

Imelda Marcos

Willie Nelson

Dennis Skinner

Sonny Rollins

Linda Nolan

Andy Taylor

Shane MacGowan

Returnees from previous Deathlists

David Attenborough

Emperor Akihito

Noam Chomsky

James Whale

Douglas Hurd

Denis Law

Vanessa Redgrave

Joni Mitchell

Shannen Doherty

Rex Williams

Liza Minnelli

Louis Farrakhan

Newcomers for 2024

June Spencer

Glynis Johns

Roberta Flack

Jonnie Irwin

Rob Burrow

Eva Marie Saint

James Earl Jones

William Russell

David Graham

Gudrun Ure

Tom Baker

Buzz Aldrin

Bernadette Chirac

That makes up the first draft of my 2024 list. As for the drops:

Sandy Gall

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Pete Murray

Prunella Scales

Dick Cheney

Robert Duvall

Alan Alda

Desmond Morris

Angie Dickinson

Hal Linden

• Like 5

Some I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Lynne Reid Banks (95 next year, maybe a "cult pick" but apparent occasional health problems and didn't even make a birthday appearance this year)

Ali al-Sistani (Even though he's only the second-most known ayatollah in the world, he'd be a much better pick (than Khamenei). In his 90s and suffering from heart problems for decades)

Frank Field

Manmohan Singh (92 next year, former Prime Minister of India, massive health troubles in recent years, seemed very close to death when he had dengue two years ago. Quintuple bypass in 2009 and given ten years to live back then. On borrowed time)

Sidney Cooke (97 next year with health history)

Tom Lehrer

Shridath Ramphal (He's never going to be picked, but Commonwealth Sec-Gen with health history, 96 next year)

Yayoi Kusama (Goes into the cult pick territory again, but dementia sufferer and 95 next year)

Former King of Belgium (health problems)

Amartya Sen (health rumors, multiple time cancer survivor, looked 20 years older month ago)

Strongly agree especially with Tom Baker, Rupert Murdoch, Lovell, William Russell, Oganessian.

Edit: Russ Tamblyn's maybe a possibility too. I recall he's been mentioned here multiple times in the past due to some health issues.

• Like 4