Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

19 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

The question easier to explain is why is de Gaulle under G and de Niro under D.

In France, no surname particle belongs to the surname since the Revolution. Philippe de Gaulle is in fact Gaulle, Philippe de. It’s a real nightmare for bibliography trust me. I don’t think it’s the Same with De Niro in which De is part of the full surname. That can explain it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

In France, no surname particle belongs to the surname since the Revolution. Philippe de Gaulle is in fact Gaulle, Philippe de. It’s a real nightmare for bibliography trust me. I don’t think it’s the Same with De Niro in which De is part of the full surname. That can explain it. 

Thanks, useful to get a definitive answer. i'd like to think whoever put Philippe under 'G' was aware of this, but maybe that's giving them too much credit!

De Niro, is of course an Italian name, so you wouldn't necessarily expect it to be treated the same as de Gaulle (is lower case correct in this instance?)

3 hours ago, time said:

Strange, as Charles is definitely a "de Gaulle"!

And if you look at the Deaths in 2024 page, he's under G

Screenshot_20240314-085927.png

2 minutes ago, Phantom said:

And if you look at the Deaths in 2024 page, he's under G

Screenshot_20240314-085927.png

I wasn't doubting it, just wondering at the apparent inconsistency.

10 minutes ago, time said:

I wasn't doubting it, just wondering at the apparent inconsistency.

I've no idea.

I have to admit I did wonder for a while if I should file Jake La Botz under B or L 

10 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I've no idea.

I have to admit I did wonder for a while if I should file Jake La Botz under B or L 

As @Grim Up North said previously, so much inconsistency, its a bit late in the day to define the rules.

Should just depend on whether or not their name is stylised with a capital imo (which depends on where the surname originates from).

de Gaulle = G

De Niro = D

van Agt = A

Van Dyke = V

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, TQR said:

Should just depend on whether or not their name is stylised with a capital imo (which depends on where the surname originates from).

de Gaulle = G

De Niro = D

van Agt = A

Van Dyke = V

And yet a visit to the bookstore the other week as my daughter wanted a copy of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, they had it filed under D

2 minutes ago, Phantom said:

And yet a visit to the bookstore the other week as my daughter wanted a copy of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, they had it filed under D

Just can't get the staff, you need a qualification to lend a book but not to sell one :evil2:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Maybe it was D for Dead.

I see according to Wiki that all of Daphne's kids seem to be alive. Is that the case?

4 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Just can't get the staff, you need a qualification to lend a book but not to sell one :evil2:

Well, considering they had Guy de Maupassant under M. I questioned the logic behind that. The only response that I got was "Do you want this book or not?" 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Phantom said:

Well, considering they had Guy de Maupassant under M. I questioned the logic behind that. The only response that I got was "Do you want this book or not?" 

Be easier if they just filed them all under B.

For Book.

19 minutes ago, Phantom said:

That's what I meant, not only do they not know, they are inconsistent. I should know, my first job out of school was on the book counter at WH Smith. I spent more time reading the books than attempting to sell them.

27 minutes ago, TQR said:

de Gaulle = G

De Niro = D

van Agt = A

Van Dyke = V

This suggestion has merit, though I think - just because it's what I've always done - I'd spell with lower case but still use that 'd' for indexing purposes (which is why I was looking for de Gaulle under D).

Charles Taylor (Peterborough) has died but he is for the List of the Missed for the former team Charles Taylor Is Dead, having last been picked in 2022 @Death Impends https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2022/celebs_T.html#taylorc922

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2024/03/15/charles-taylor-dean-peterborough-church-obituary/

Died 21 February.

• Like 3

On 31/01/2024 at 20:02, WEP said:

Once again:

One for the LotM:

Aziz Saleh al-Numan al-Khafaji, one of the Saddam Hussein companions.

https://www.aljarida.com/article/52490

https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_A.html#alnumaa021

Don't think you may have picked up on this one @Death Impends, Aziz al-Nu'man died on 30 January.

Only saying as he has now picked up a Times Obit: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/aziz-saleh-al-numan-al-khafaji-obituary-cb28sb35b

• Like 2

10 hours ago, polar duck said:

Not sure if this counts as a QO for Roger Guillemin: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-guardian-weekly/20240301/page/6

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I believe press reader was allowed for a previous hit so given precedent it probably counts 

To quote from the rules...

• www.pressreader.com/uk if it can be used to prove the existence of a print obituary in any of the sources mentioned above.
Guardian Weekly isn't one of the sources mentioned above, so I'd say on that basis, it doesn't count.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, time said:

Guardian Weekly isn't one of the sources mentioned above, so I'd say on that basis, it doesn't count.

Got it. Guardian Weekly *is* run by The Guardian, which is what had me confused.

58 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

That Telegraph obit reveals Dugdale's date of birth to be 25-3-1941, so missed the birthday party-pooper bonus by a week (still, she had St. Paddy's Day).

• Like 1