Lafaucheuse

French Deathlist 2024

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You should be facepalming yourself @TQR.

I've known Eddie for 20 years. He used to openly admit that he wore women's clothes for entertainment purposes and because it gave him a thrill. Now he's on this "I'm a bloke but call me her" wagon, which in my opinion makes a complete mockery of people who are genuinely transgender. So yes, it's "he", and HE is a pervert in a frock. Nothing more.

It’s an opinion you are more than capable of keeping to yourself rather than being spiteful for the sake of it in a completely unconnected context, but I’m sorry the facepalm hurt you.

Aaaaaand *ignore*.

Just now, TQR said:

It’s an opinion you are more than capable of keeping to yourself rather than being spiteful for the sake of it, but I’m sorry the facepalm hurt you.

Aaaaaand *ignore*.

I'm sorry you've locked your DMs. Must've triggered you. 

16 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

*he

Doesn't he go by she nowadays?

• Facepalm 1

On 26/03/2024 at 11:01, YoungWillz said:

Mo Farah is Somalian. Johanna Konta is Australian. Sandy Lyle is English. etcetera etcetera.

Preconceived ideas of nationality/domicile are surprising, sometimes. 

Given her hugely long career living in France and singing in French, I see no problem here. Call her an adopted daughter. It's an unnecessary itch to scratch, imo.

Johanna Konta is an ethnic Hungarian. 

I was absolutely sure this would come soon, was about to make a post just a week ago, saying that the next hits would be Maryse Condé, Chirac or Marie France Garaud. Also a DDP pick of mine… 

I wonder if she gets a posthumous Nobel Prize actually. Is that even a thing?

4 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I wonder if she gets a posthumous Nobel Prize actually. Is that even a thing?

Posthumous Nobels have been barred since 1974 (and only two people were ever awarded them: Dag Hammarskjöld for peace in 1961 and Erik Axel Karlfeldt for literature in 1931, both Swedes). However, if the decision to award a Nobel is made before it's public knowledge the person is dead, then it can still be awarded (as with Ralph Steinman for medicine in 2011).

• Like 1

This really is a hell of a list! :flame:

Congratulations again! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats. At this rate, 2/3 of the list will be gone at the end of the year.

• Like 1

Wouhou ! Also my 9th personnal hit !

She was in my radar since 2021 when I learnt that it was her husband who wrote what she said for her last books

Il y a sûrement plein de titres à faire pour sa bio, mais ça pourrait être Maryse Condoléances ou Maryse Condéléances

1 hour ago, Book said:

This really is a hell of a list! :flame:

Congratulations again! 

I’m quite amazed by how good this list is doing actually and, not to jinkx ourselves, but I won’t be surprised now if we reach 18-20. The thing is last year was so dry in term of french deaths that a lot of lingerers are now, unsurprisingly, giving up. Condé was long overdue, so are Chirac, Marie France Garaud, Morin and Dumas. I wouldn’t rule out some other frails and ills to drop dead from nowhere (Le Pen, Delon, Laborde or Hardy). A few nonagenarian could also surprise us (Geminiani, Villalonga, Serre or Dumont) and I sense some unexpected hits such as Fontaine, Pivot, Renaud or Léaud. 

obit to come for Condé, probably tomorrow as I’m quite busy today

also, to end the Clark’s debate, I just found out thanks to La Tombe that Sophia Loren was naturalized french. I’d say She doesn’t belong in such a french list as much of her work and notoriety has relied on her italian work.

my 7th hit. It’s amazing. We choose really well our picks this year for our FDL.

Maryse Condé was a proud Guadeloupean, wishing the Caribbean island to be independent. But as Guadeloupean, we the other French consider her as one of us. With her passing, it’s a huge loss for the world of litterature 

2nd of April 2024

Hit n°9

DSC_2866.thumb.jpg.560bb77c4bfa6a1b9129a0cd5a981c5d.jpg

Condead 

Literary genius Maryse Condé has died two months after her 90th birthday to score yet another hit for our french deathlist. Condé was born in Guadeloupe in 1934, in a upper-class family which got her used to reading French classics from an early age. At 19, she moved to Paris where she started writing her first novels. In the late 1950's she traveled to Africa where she wrote her first published novel and moved back to the UK where she worked for a while for the BBC Africa. For the next decades, she focused on writing plays, before her rise to fame in 1984 with the novel Ségou. Since this critically acclaimed novel, Condé was seen as one of the main black writers on colonialism, slavery and black identity. Her other main works included I, Tituba : Black Witch of Salem and Windward Heights, in which she imagined the sequel of Emily Brontë's famous Wuthering Height taking place in the very early XXth century in Guadeloupe. In the second part of her prolific career, she ended up teaching history, literature and history of black movement in such prestigious university as Berkeley and Columbia. In 2018, she received the New Academy Prize in Literature, often referred as the Alternate Nobel Prize for Literature due to the cancellation of the attribution of the Literary Nobel Prize that year. In her final years, Condé suffered from ill-health and secured a spot in the middle of our list, being chosen in 25th position. She is the 9th hit of our productive french deathlist. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fantomasss said:

Edgar Morin has died New hit !

Seems to have posted on the XMusk within the last hour.

9 minutes ago, Fantomasss said:

Finally not sure but dead on wiki

The same guy who announced his death on wiki actually erased it 15 minutes later.

Yes sorry "j'ai mordu à l'hameçon" :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Sinbabad said:

The same guy who announced his death on wiki actually erased it 15 minutes later.