The Unknown Man

The 20th Death of 2023

The 20th Death of 2023  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone needs to send a link of this post to Carter to get him over the line.

• Like 1

Jean-Marie Le Pen

• Like 1

19 deaths is pretty darn good, dont think we'll hit 20

• Facepalm 1

On 27/12/2023 at 21:23, Undead In Ohio said:

I went with That's All Folks. There are no reports of people rushing to Carter's bedside in Georgia, which probably means that his death is not inniment. 

U sure about that he will die in 48hrs

12 hours ago, Deadpool said:

That's all folks! 19 deaths! pretty decent score 

Doubt it bet we will hit 20 either jimmy Carter or dick van dyke or Alan greenspan 

Ethel Kennedy FTW

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deathrow66 said:

Doubt it bet we will hit 20 either jimmy Carter or dick van dyke or Alan greenspan 

Dick van Dyke looks very well. No way he's going.

I think the only person to die out is Derek draper Kate garraway husband he might be already dead just waiting for announcements from.the media 

• Shocked 1

Nobody tends to die this late in the year as there's usually a very strong desire to at least just make it through to the next year.

18 minutes ago, Autistic Merit said:

Nobody tends to die this late in the year as there's usually a very strong desire to at least just make it through to the next year.

63ac254d78e0d_000-33676fe.jpg

Betty_White_1989_Emmy_Awards.jpg

barbara-walters-dead.jpg.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Autistic Merit said:

New Years Eve 2021 (when Betty White died in the last hours of that year) says hello.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2023 at 13:03, The Old Crem said:

Jimmy Carter at 9pm Georgia time on New Years Eve. So already 2024 in the UK. What happens then? 

But really though - what actually are the rules as to what counts as 12/31/2023 and what counts as 1/1/2024?

Seems like there are annoying drawbacks either way. If you go by local time of the decedent, you could get a situation where someone in Australia dies a few hours before someone in California. Despite dying second, only the Californian would count as a death for the old year, and the Australian would count as a death for the new year.

But if you go by London time, there's the obvious problem that the exact time of death is often never reported. So if an American is only ever reported as dying "in the early evening" of the 31st, there's no way to know if it's before or after London's midnight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Autistic Merit said:

Betty White and Pope Benedict XVI think otherwise

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keytasker said:

But really though - what actually are the rules as to what counts as 12/31/2023 and what counts as 1/1/2024?

Seems like there are annoying drawbacks either way. If you go by local time of the decedent, you could get a situation where someone in Australia dies a few hours before someone in California. Despite dying second, only the Californian would count as a death for the old year, and the Australian would count as a death for the new year.

But if you go by London time, there's the obvious problem that the exact time of death is often never reported. So if an American is only ever reported as dying "in the early evening" of the 31st, there's no way to know if it's before or after London's midnight.

I remember in another defunct dead pool I used to play in, the opposite happened. Helen Suzman who was a South African anti-apartheid politician died on January 1, Johannesburg time. The person running that pool counted it as a December 31 death.

1 hour ago, Keytasker said:

The rule for the Derby Dead Pool is clear.

The date of death is taken as that in the country/region where the person died, i.e. local time is used. ..... If the time of death is reported as exactly midnight local time, the date of the day just beginning is used.

• Like 1

Then there's the compilcated cases of country singers Hank Williams and Townes van Zandt. Both were found dead on January 1st, but may have died the day before.

Bizarrely Townes van Zandt recorded a cover of Hank Williams' "Honky Tonking" on his album "The Late Great Townes Van Zandt".

12 hours ago, Autistic Merit said:

Bullshit.My Grandfather died on the 30th December  and died wanting to live up until the final breath  because he wanted to live as long as he could but he wouldnt have given a shit about whether he died in one year or another but when your times up it's up.New year isn't the same as a landmark as a Big Birthday a wedding or a family visit.Your likelihood of dying in late December is very high although I think it is the second week of January with the highest incidence of mortality.

• Like 2

I feel like late December/early January deaths are especially common. It's flu/covid season and that gets more dangerous as the elderly get older. My great grandmother died around this time about ten years ago, and my grandfather died one week into January. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bmugnoz said:

Betty White and Pope Benedict XVI think otherwise

I agree. Also Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reyonlds being 27th and 28th of Dec. are pretty late.. Death does not care what the date is. When it is your time dates mean nothing.

• Like 1

I personally if I had to pick would go with Nigel Starmer. Winter is more tough for people with Dementia. Every family member I've had that has had dementia before croaked it around late December time. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sean said:

Bullshit.My Grandfather died on the 30th December  and died wanting to live up until the final breath  because he wanted to live as long as he could but he wouldnt have given a shit about whether he died in one year or another but when your times up it's up.New year isn't the same as a landmark as a Big Birthday a wedding or a family visit.Your likelihood of dying in late December is very high although I think it is the second week of January with the highest incidence of mortality.

Well I'm still adamant that no one famous will die today.