Sign in to follow this  
MarcJWallace

Steve McMichael

Former NFL star turned "wrestler" Steve 'Mongo' McMichael has been quietly battling ALS/MND, gone public now as he is "declining quickly".

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-prem-chicago-bears-steve-mcmichael-als-20210423-okfosu3f7ffzpcn6d4lja62cw4-story.html

• Sad 1

Steve "Mongo" McMichael pictured at an award ceremony last weekend, seems to have gone downhill rapidly since March.

BEPP6C36FNDI7OR7E3G2CPHRMA.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, msc said:

Steve "Mongo" McMichael pictured at an award ceremony last weekend, seems to have gone downhill rapidly since March.

BEPP6C36FNDI7OR7E3G2CPHRMA.JPG

Here’s an interview from a week or so prior to the ceremony. Video included. https://abc7chicago.com/11023710/?ex_cid=TA_WLS_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A Trending Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3uC5bj_btwtR5TCmzBr83S8bU6TH9EP3fYHsDFoZYs39vP1W-UnBT--8Q

Another update on Steve McMichael, including a fresh and grim picture:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022/5/2/23054419/our-man-says-steve-mcmichael-belongs-in-hall-of-fame-telander-mongo-misty-mcmahon-singletary-long

A question of days, or, at most, weeks.

Edit: Interestingly, he still seems able to talk, though just barely. But his bodily functions have declined dramatically. A very uneven progression of the disease, which is a big contrast to, say, Ady Barkan.

• Like 3

https://www.instagram.com/p/CerRqHBjwi_/?hl=en :Looks like Steve McMichael is back in the ED based on this Instagram video of his wife's yesterday. Only features their dog snoring and not Steve although you can clearly hear the breathing equipment in the background and get a glimpse of the bed at the end.

New photo of Steve McMichael has surfaced.

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/friend-of-steve-mcmichael-shares-heartbreaking-photo-of-the-nfl-legend-ex-wcw-star

More interestingly, they want to make accomodations for him to allow him to travel to Nashville to see Ric Flair's final fight.

• Like 2

Steve McMichael hospitalized but seemingly improving:

His wife has been pretty blatantly trying to keep him alive until Aug. 22nd, when he might be announced as a 2024 Hall of Fame senior finalist. The ceremony for 2023 is this weekend and he didn't make the cut.

• Like 5

On 04/08/2023 at 09:01, RadGuy said:

Steve McMichael hospitalized but seemingly improving:

His wife has been pretty blatantly trying to keep him alive until Aug. 22nd, when he might be announced as a 2024 Hall of Fame senior finalist. The ceremony for 2023 is this weekend and he didn't make the cut.

Small update on Steve McMichael. Apparently hospitalized with sepsis and pneumonia, which I’m sure is not ideal for an ALS patient. Improvement continues.

One paragraph of note here indicates that he actually had a living will DNR upon his arrival, but his wife “renegotiated” it.

• Like 2

Mongo improving and sepsis is gone.

1 hour ago, drol said:

Mongo improving and sepsis is gone.

I read that as if it was said by Mongo from Blazing Saddles

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HDS said:

Small update on Steve McMichael. Apparently hospitalized with sepsis and pneumonia, which I’m sure is not ideal for an ALS patient. Improvement continues.

One paragraph of note here indicates that he actually had a living will DNR upon his arrival, but his wife “renegotiated” it.

So he had a living will and his wife went against it by getting it changed whilst he was in a coma.Seems dodgy especially as he has capacity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sean said:

So he had a living will and his wife went against it by getting it changed whilst he was in a coma.Seems dodgy especially as he has capacity.

He was apparently admitted in a coma and regained consciousness seemingly after the DNR was renegotiated. Sounded peculiar to me.

Just now, HDS said:

He was apparently admitted in a coma and regained consciousness seemingly after the DNR was renegotiated. Sounded peculiar to me.

That is what I thought too.The whole purpose of the living will is that when you can't make decisions that is what you go by in terms of decision making.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

That is what I thought too.The whole purpose of the living will is that when you can't make decisions that is what you go by in terms of decision making.

Agreed. And it seems like if his wishes had changed, they would have made those arrangements already considering the frequency of medical care he has required these past few years. Maybe something was just lost in translation to the author.

• Like 1

Steve McMichael inexplicably set to be discharged from hospital today:

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Steve McMichael looking expectedly dire in a new video. Looks completely unresponsive to his surroundings:

Can't get the link to work but if you go on his wife Misty McMichael's instagram there is a couple of minute long video and he appears even worse.A TV pole is obstructing part of his face but when you get a glimpse of his eyes they both appear non reactive open and up at the ceiling .Mouth is wide open like a fish looks slightly paler and waxy in it.No indication of consciousness at all.Also he looks like he is struggling to breathe even though he is ventilated.He has gotten into the hall of fame I imagine  because he is very close to the end.There are cameras all in his face when he appears to be actively dying.Quite distasteful.I have seen quite a few friends and family be at the very end and the last thing I would ever have dreamt of doing  would be to fill their deathbed room with cameras .I doubt he knows what's going on at all or that he will last the week out.

Edit :He is only a finalist and has to wait until 2024 which Misty says will inspire him to keep going.There Is am utterly horrendous photo in the Chicago Sun Times of her facetiming her visibly gravely ill husband.I won't even post the link though as it is clearly an unresponsive man dying on the screenshot.In fact if I came across someone looking  like that I would check their pulse to see if they hadnt already expired The Chicago Sun states he is battling pneumonia and about to start a second round of antibiotics but it is behind a pay wall.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Steve McMichael photo from August 25th.

image.jpeg.acc048987130a7fae04836398425c4b7.jpeg

What sort of a sick cunt of a family member would look at that poor bastard in his bed and think "I've a great idea - let's take a photo of Steve and post it on facebook/instagram/whatever".

If there is anyone close to him with an ounce of compassion for the man, they should get a gun and just do the right thing. Shoot her first, and then him. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, An Fear Beag said:

What sort of a sick cunt of a family member would look at that poor bastard in his bed and think "I've a great idea - let's take a photo of Steve and post it on facebook/instagram/whatever".

If there is anyone close to him with an ounce of compassion for the man, they should get a gun and just do the right thing. Shoot her first, and then him. 

That isn't even the worst picture I have seen.

I can understand them taking pictures of him until the 17th August one as he is smiling slightly and looks responsive in the eyes at least.Now he has no signs of life in photos. The wife actually ripped up his DNR as she doesn't want him to go die before he gets into the hall of fame.I can't fathom how nuts you have to be to think it is appropriate to try and resuscitate someone so gravely ill and frail.

On 29/08/2023 at 03:05, Sean said:

I can understand them taking pictures of him until the 17th August one as he is smiling slightly and looks responsive in the eyes at least.Now he has no signs of life in photos. The wife actually ripped up his DNR as she doesn't want him to go die before he gets into the hall of fame.I can't fathom how nuts you have to be to think it is appropriate to try and resuscitate someone so gravely ill and frail.

Steve McMichael named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-news/official-steve-mongo-mcmichael-named-to-the-pro-football-hall-of-fame/538351/

• Like 2