YoungWillz

Miriam Margolyes

I have to do this.

Miriam Margolyes is a national treasure, no doubt about that. But she is now saying she has five or six years left: https://metro.co.uk/2024/07/23/miriam-margolyes-83-reveals-one-demand-starting-fail-physically-21276257/. Her recent heart operation has included part of a cow's heart. 

Miriam is 83 and suffers with spinal stenosis and is worried about running out of money to afford to pay for her care.

It would be a travesty if she didn't have her own thread so we could discuss her in the one place and give her the ultimate tributes she deserves. As she is openly discussing her mortality with her usual gusto, we should oblige her with a dedicated thread.

Gawd bless you Miriam and bless us while we still have you.

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

I love Miriam so much. Hope she massively outlasts her expectations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TQR said:

I love Miriam so much. Hope she massively outlasts her expectations.

So do I.

Beloved across generations. And swears like a docker.

• Like 2

Has to be done .......

• Like 2

She's 83. Five or six years would take her to ninety or there abouts which would be good going for someone who admits they never took great care of their health.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, msc said:

She's 83. Five or six years would take her to ninety or there abouts which would be good going for someone who admits they never took great care of their health.

I just don't know.

It's like we are being prepared, and she is generous in sharing that. She is a member of a group advocating for assisted dying. It may well get too much for her and you know...

Anyway, I for one wish her better days and long years.

She has been saying for a while she has only a few years left.I mean at 83 , being obese having limited mobility and heart problems it is a fair assessment.She doesn`t strike me as someone who will live well into her 90s.

She feels very deathlsity for multiple reasons. 

On 24/07/2024 at 18:25, YoungWillz said:

Miriam is 83 and suffers with spinal stenosis and is worried about running out of money to afford to pay for her care.

She's a very famous actress (at least in the UK, over here nobody has heard of her outside of her part in Potter as far as I know)... How is she worried about running out of cash?

Shes funny but not a national treasure.

She has also become something of a pervert in her old age.

6 hours ago, Comped said:

She's a very famous actress (at least in the UK, over here nobody has heard of her outside of her part in Potter as far as I know)... How is she worried about running out of cash?

Like many older people. She indicates here she'll have to stop working and pay carers in the style "to which she is accustomed": https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/miriam-margolyes-health-money-cameo-b2584222.html

Take from that what you will. A long incapacitation with hefty care bills affects many. She obviously wants to be incredibly comfortable.

13 hours ago, Comped said:

Actors aren't necessarily wealthy.  Most of them work second jobs in between acting roles. OK if they have a long-running role in a soap, or are top tier box office, but most are not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Comped said:

Several factors really.

1. Celebrities are notorious for living beyond their means.

2. As Young Willz pointed out, end of life care/ critical surgeries can easily cripple one's finances depending on how long one''s incapacitation lasts.

3. She's certainly well known, but most of her roles were supporting roles. She probably did well for herself, but I doubt she was raking in millions with her roles. UK actors and actresses also don't make as much as their US counterparts. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dimreaper said:

Several factors really.

1. Celebrities are notorious for living beyond their means.

2. As Young Willz pointed out, end of life care/ critical surgeries can easily cripple one's finances depending on how long one''s incapacitation lasts.

3. She's certainly well known, but most of her roles were supporting roles. She probably did well for herself, but I doubt she was raking in millions with her roles. UK actors and actresses also don't make as much as their US counterparts. 

4. Lives between the UK and Australia – that’s bloody expensive to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dennis Hopper abruptly went broke late in his life after he could no longer act due to his cancer and his income dropped to ~$4500 a month in residual payments, which was obviously a solid amount of money, but it didn't cover all the expenses he had built up over the years he was a bigwig.

I'm sure Margolyes doesn't have much to worry about as long as she keeps pulling in $40,000 a year on Cameo, which she could probably still do while 75% dead.

Miriam Margolyes has been part of my childhood, in addition to her appearance in the Harry Potter films, she has done many voice roles in animated films like Matchmaker in Mulan, Fly in Babe, Rita Grandma who always scream Tom Jones in Flushed Away, Mrs. Plithiver the snake in Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, The Queen in Maya the Bee Movie and Mrs. Astrakhan in Happy Feet.

But my favourite will be Grandma Rosy in Balto

• Like 1