6 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

This has melted by fucking brain early on a Monday morning.

The race was won by five thousandths of a second - I think that is different to 5000th of a second - isn’t it? Or is it?

Please help! 

0.0002 of a second - 1/5000th of a second

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mixed team triathalon nail biter

All that way and it was close as fuck on the line. Germany clear winners but GB/USA in a photo behind that, initially given to Team GB only for a close look at the photo to see them downgraded to bronze

240db13c-ba6d-4ce4-9de3-e9221b618d08.png

37 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

This has melted by fucking brain early on a Monday morning.

The race was won by five thousandths of a second - I think that is different to 5000th of a second - isn’t it? Or is it?

Please help! 

It is different: :D

If you divide 1 by 1,000 you get 1,000 parts. 5 of those is 5/1000's.

If you divide 1 by 5,000 you get 5,000 parts. 1 of those is 1/5000's. 5 of them would be 5/5000's

5/1000's is 5 times bigger than 5/5000's and 25 times bigger than 1/5000.

or (as biblio has put it, decimally)

.001 of a second is a thousandth, and .005 is five thousandths

.0001 is a ten thousandth and .0002 is double that or a five thousandth.

HTH.

ETA: perhaps the latter part of the second definition is where the problem lies, on reading it back to myself (I'm a dolt, so I try to make sure), 'five thousandths' does appear to be extraordinarly similar to a 'five thousandth'.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Mixed team triathalon nail biter

All that way and it was close as fuck on the line. Germany clear winners but GB/USA in a photo behind that, initially given to Team GB only for a close look at the photo to see them downgraded to bronze

240db13c-ba6d-4ce4-9de3-e9221b618d08.png

I'm more surprised that the winner managed to beat both of them despite having an absolutely massive right foot.

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

I'm more surprised that the winner managed to beat both of them despite having an absolutely massive right foot.

She had a 20 minute lead coming out of the swimming

• Haha 2

Deleted.

I think you mean...

38 minutes ago, TQR said:

Fucking Deleted.

:D

• Haha 2

In an Olympics of exceptional achievements, some of the GB field athletes have been abysmal. Morgan Lake didn't make the High Jump final, Holly Bradshaw crashed and burned this morning in her final Pole Vault competition and, worst of all Molly Caudery, the world leader with 4.92m has failed to clear 4.55m to make the Pole Vault final either! Sorry, but on a world stage, that's not good enough! You can't win if you can't even make the final. Questions need to be asked.

Thank god for Keely Hodgkinson we hope.

20 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Sorry, but on a world stage, that's not good enough!

I don't know so much, pole-vaulting and perhaps to a lesser degree high jumping appear to this amateur watcher to be very technical pursuits and very easy to mess up especially if the nerves kick in as they must on a 3rd attempt of three if not before. If you're used to running a 50 second 400m to use a currently running example, a bad day might be 50.5 or 51 even and you might possibly still progress but in the pole vault it's a total fail. Shrug, perhaps I'm being too lenient.

ETA: Freed From Desire, yet again.... they get hold of something like a Terrier these French eh? Oh and I heard Le Bertrand Plastique yesterday as well, now that's taking it back a while (though my curiosity piqued I looked him up and apparently he was Belgian :rolleyes:). What's next Oxygene?

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I don't know so much, pole-vaulting and perhaps to a lesser degree high jumping appear to this amateur watcher to be very technical pursuits and very easy to mess up especially if the nerves kick in as they must on a 3rd attempt of three if not before. If you're used to running a 50 second 400m to use a currently running example, a bad day might be 50.5 or 51 even and you might possibly still progress but in the pole vault it's a total fail. Shrug, perhaps I'm being too lenient.

I get what you're saying, and it's valid, but she's not inexperienced. She's the reigning World Indoor Champion, the British record holder and the world lead this year. They showed her final attempt and she got the height no issue, but for some reason she didn't get the propulsion and came down on the bar. Everyone can knock one down, even the astonishing Mondo Duplantis, but to knock 3 down in a row at the same height and not be able to make the adjustment is poor. She's just been on telly, obviously upset, saying she was in great form, she had a great warm-up and she loves a big crowd, so she doesn't know what went wrong. She was the last one to come into the competition (you get to choose your first height and can pass as often as you like until you've had your 3 attempts) - maybe she came in too high and should have given herself a sighter at a lower height? But, equally, that's a comfortable height for Molly, nearly 40cm lower than she's jumped this year, and when we go in increments of 5cm, that's about 8 jumps. She only needed 4.70m to qualify for the final. The simple fact remains that the Olympics only come every 4 years, she was in the form of her life in Olympic year, an athlete's dream scenario, and it wasn't that 3 other girls jumped higher than her to claim the medals, she didn't execute when it counted and now she'll have to wait 4 more years, when she may not be in great form or another talent will have usurped her. Her chance may have gone, and that's the brutality of professional sport.

Beam final is an absolute nightmare. 

Three fallers so far, it's more Grand National than grand finale.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

All I have to say about that event (I don't watch gymnastics really) is I'm utterly unsurprised that men don't compete in that particular discipline :rolleyes:.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Four fallers.

All Biles has to do is stay on!

They're still Fucking falling on the beams! Maneca-Voinea as well, twice.

EDIT: Sorry, not D'Amato. Either Johnny Vegas in the commentary said the wrong name or I misheard. Both equally likely.

• Like 2

I think the first one having a wobble and the second one falling off has spooked the field. That said, it's a fucking ridiculous sport in the first place - go on, do all these tricks and flips on a plank of wood. What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes::lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

They're still Fucking falling! D'amato as well, twice. She was amazing in the all-round.

That wasn't D'Amato, that was a Romanian girl. This is D'Amato.

Edit: And she didn't fall off!!!! Pro.

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

That wasn't D'Amato, that was a Romanian girl. This is D'Amato.

Already corrected. And D'Amato was amazing just now, as she was in the all-round. Surefire medal this time.

• Like 1

SIMONE FUCKING BILES JUST FELL OFF!!!! :o:o:o:o:o

• Like 1

Not Simone as well?! Christ!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Biles is off. Falling is going to become part of this competition!

W T Fuck are the judges playing at? Get on with it!

That's how you do it Rebecca Andrade! Superb! Having had to wait an absolute age for Biles's score. That's pressure. Fully deserved gold - well it should be. And so pleased for D'Amato who's deserved a medal this week.

This is wild. Literally just staying on the beam is the medal criteria in this final... whew.

ETA: eating my words immediately, the bronze has gone to someone who didn't stay on hasn't it??

• Like 1