comedychris

Comedy & Death - Great Combination

Budd Dwyer (link to Wiki rather than the video) a crooked Pennsylvanian politician's suicide is also on the liveleak.com website. I'd never heard of him until an American friend told me the old (American) chestnut;

Q. What's the difference between Budd Dwyer and Bud Lite?

A. Bud Lite has got a head on it.

Grim viewing indeed.

That's the one who shot himself on TV wasn't it? I think I remember posting a link to youtube of that a few years ago...

I think we're straying a bit from the remit of this thread. I don't find Budd Dwyer's death remotely funny....I mean, his timing is terrible...

I think it's only more disturbing with hindsight, as we now know it was for real and not part of his act.

I'm another person who watched it live at the time and it wasn't really obvious that he was struggling just before he collapsed. He'd been in poor health for quite a few years and so it didn't seem out of the ordinary. I remember it was the talk of the school on Monday and there wasn't a single person who hadn't been laughing along until it became obvious something was very wrong.

Fascinating to see it again though - shame the clip doesn't last a little longer so we see the curtain being drawn and the abrupt fade to black.

I think it's only more disturbing with hindsight, as we now know it was for real and not part of his act.

I'm another person who watched it live at the time and it wasn't really obvious that he was struggling just before he collapsed. He'd been in poor health for quite a few years and so it didn't seem out of the ordinary. I remember it was the talk of the school on Monday and there wasn't a single person who hadn't been laughing along until it became obvious something was very wrong.

Fascinating to see it again though - shame the clip doesn't last a little longer so we see the curtain being drawn and the abrupt fade to black.

Amazingly, the show carried on. The curtain was drawn and subsequent acts had to work in a smaller space...with Cooper's size 13 feet sticking out from under the curtain, while paramedics tried in vain to save his life!

You couldn't make it up...

Amazingly, the show carried on. The curtain was drawn and subsequent acts had to work in a smaller space...with Cooper's size 13 feet sticking out from under the curtain, while paramedics tried in vain to save his life!

You couldn't make it up...

I did watch the programme when it was aired live. Knowing the way Tommy Cooper performed on stage...anything could happen when he tumbled on stage after a number of gins.

What drove my original misunderstanding of the event was the assistant coolly ignoring something strange happening behind her (while she sorted out his props).

I did think it was a strange moment. However, this was a live show that had to work within the timeframes of advertising breaks. I hoped that Tommy was exploiting the moment to straddle a (forced) TV break for the live audience and continue his performance. (Although, in reality, the sound from the audience just before it went to the commercials was worrying.) To be honest, after the break if he'd simply got up and produced one of his big laughs, all the viewers would have been relieved. Sadly not. :crossbone:

Budd Dwyer (link to Wiki rather than the video) a crooked Pennsylvanian politician's suicide is also on the liveleak.com website. I'd never heard of him until an American friend told me the old (American) chestnut;

Grim viewing indeed.

That's the one who shot himself on TV wasn't it? I think I remember posting a link to youtube of that a few years ago...

I think we're straying a bit from the remit of this thread. I don't find Budd Dwyer's death remotely funny....I mean, his timing is terrible...

His death wasn't funny, the joke about it is. That was my point.

Grim viewing indeed.

His death wasn't funny, the joke about it is. That was my point.

Read the end of the sentence and you'll find my joke...

Musical comedian and reality TV show star Jason Wood has died at the age of 38.

The performer – known for his imposing voice and uncannily accurate musical impressions – reached a wider audience when he appeared on the first series of Strictly Come Dancing in 2004, alongside Natasha Kaplinski. He held the dubious honour of being the first person ever voted off the show.

Read more: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/02/20/1...8#ixzz0gAkzsmlk

Have no idea who he is or what he died of

Yet you still had the nerve to create an entirely new thread on him. :party:

The performer – known for his imposing voice and uncannily accurate musical impressions – reached a wider audience when he appeared on the first series of Strictly Come Dancing in 2004, alongside Natasha Kaplinski. He held the dubious honour of being the first person ever voted off the show.

So why start a thread on him? If the deaths of nonentities like this must be recorded, stick 'em in the deaths thread. Can we vote this thread off the forum?

Shucks, I'm not as fast on the trigger as I used to be. :party:

So why start a thread on him? If the deaths of nonentities like this must be recorded, stick 'em in the deaths thread. Can we vote this thread off the forum?

Er... i wasn't aware there was somewhere I could put this topic, he doesn't appear to be a non-entity in comedy circles, I thought someone could enlighten me as to who he was, and yet you lot had a whole topic on Jade Goody, who was the biggest non-entity ever, God, talk about snotty... Unbeliveable :party:

Shucks, I'm not as fast on the trigger as I used to be. :2guns:

Yes, it's such a great feeling... sanctimony :party:

Shucks, I'm not as fast on the trigger as I used to be. :2guns:

Yes, it's such a great feeling... sanctimony :party:

Nothing to do with sanctimony Nell. Jade Goody was indeed a nonentity but she was alive until she was dead if you get my drift. This bloke is dead and dead people don't make for good conversations, or at least dead nonentities don't. That's all. I'm kind, me, nice to everyone since I turned over a new leaf so there's nothing personal. I apologise for the negativity, no snottiness intended. Any suggestion that the above comments might have been trying to spoil this magnificent Jason Wood thread is unfounded. Personally I'm wetting myself with excitement at the wonderful banter we're going to have here thanks to Jason's untimely demise. Come on all you Jason Wood fans who are going to fill this thread with fascinating insights in to the life and death of someone whose very existence appears to have escaped our attention up to now. Don't let poor Nelly's thread die.

Oops! Too late. :o

Yes - get rid of the dead wood.

Coat?

Er... i wasn't aware there was somewhere I could put this topic, he doesn't appear to be a non-entity in comedy circles, I thought someone could enlighten me as to who he was, and yet you lot had a whole topic on Jade Goody, who was the biggest non-entity ever, God, talk about snotty... Unbeliveable :party:

Well Digital Spy have a thread on him , but what can you expect from that forum (see post 18)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1220295

Well Digital Spy have a thread on him , but what can you expect from that forum (see post 18)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1220295

Hags - cool! This shows what can be achieved in a Jason Wood thread. They exhausted 28 posts agreeing they didn't know who he was. That's class that is. Nell you're wasted in this place.

Never heard of him...

Guest The Watcher

Frank Thornton?

What this thread was made for, the National Comedy Center in Jamestown, New York wants to use holograms to bring dead comedians and their routines back to life. http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/dead-comedians-to-perform-classic-standup-as-holograms-20150506

In the same way Tim Vine has been bringing back all Tommy Coopers act?