Cowboy Ronnie

Formula 1 & Other Motor Racing

2 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Ralf Schumacher announces he's in a same sex relationship

It's obviously teriffic that Ralf has reached a point where he feels comfortable enough to share this publicly, but already I'm seeing people on SM ramping up rumours about potentially queer current F1 drivers. That kind of wild speculation and eagerness to try outing them is exactly why so many LGBT+ people in the public eye feel they must stay closeted.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TQR said:

It's obviously teriffic that Ralf has reached a point where he feels comfortable enough to share this publicly, but already I'm seeing people on SM ramping up rumours about potentially queer current F1 drivers. That kind of wild speculation and eagerness to try outing them is exactly why so many LGBT+ people in the public eye feel they must stay closeted.

That's what happened to Mike Beuttler (1970s driver, in the period where F1 was a symbol of machismo.). He would bring girls to races with him to avoid speculation. He disappeared off public life because of HIV/AIDS (which eventually killed him) and the stigma that surrounded it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Ralf Schumacher announces he's in a same sex relationship

With a French young man called Etienne. Seeing Etienne profile, he seems is in 30s younger than Ralf.

Max Vertaliban up to his normal tricks again in Hungary today. Glad it only screwed him this time.

Russell DSQ from a win in Spa due to an underweight car, Hamilton promoted to P1.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Father Brown said:

Russell DSQ from a win in Spa due to an underweight car, Hamilton promoted to P1.

Yeah, typical. An incredible drive from George, making an unusual strategy work and doing a superb job to hold off his team mate in a thrilling finale and what do we get? It all counts for nothing. What a waste of 2 hours.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

What a waste of 2 hours.

It's been that for a while now.

Politics on wheels. Yawn.

39 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Yeah, typical. An incredible drive from George, making an unusual strategy work and doing a superb job to hold off his team mate in a thrilling finale and what do we get? It all counts for nothing. What a waste of 2 hours.

Wasn't a waste in the slightest. Much as the DTS contingent mightn't like it, that's racing. Fair play to George for the bold strat and tyre management but if you go way longer than expected on worn rubber you're playing with fire weight-wise.

31 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Yawn.

Your sport is just tidying up. Shush. :P

• Haha 1

My sport (drunks bashing balls about) you can play without millons of pounds/dollars and a rich daddy to start you off. Only to find it's down to whichever company pays the most to have the best kit and you're fucked anyway.

It's as tedious as fuck, as elite as fuck and boring as hell. And I went to a couple of them or more back in the day.

I'm off to Santa Pod (weather allowing) in September to watch Top Fuel which is far more interesting, if admittedly not exactly open to your average man with a dog-on-a-string financially.

I drive a sub 5 sec 0-60 car, which also isn't exacly budget friendly and is definitely a toy. And you can't use the fackin thing to any real degree on the public road anyway - so it's not like I don't appreciate motor sport.

14 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I'm off to Santa Pod (weather allowing) in September to watch Top Fuel which is far more interesting, if admittedly not exactly open to your average man with a dog-on-a-string financially.

I drive a sub 5 sec 0-60 car, which also isn't exacly budget friendly and is definitely a toy. And you can't use the fackin thing to any real degree on the public road anyway - so it's not like I don't appreciate motor sport.

Been to Santa Pod a couple of times before, thoroughly enjoyed! Took my last car (RS3) on a RWYB day and managed the 1/4 in 11.9s.

Want somewhere (aside from track days) to use your car properly? Take it to the Highlands. Hoo boy you can have some fun up there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Father Brown said:

I get it, but if Russell weighs 1.51kg (3.3lbs) more than Hamilton, isn’t it a wash?  I’m very serious about this.  It’s a total bullshit rule if they don’t include the weight of the driver ffs.  Common sense.

SC

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I get it, but if Russell weighs 1.51kg (3.3lbs) more than Hamilton, isn’t it a wash?  I’m very serious about this.  It’s a total bullshit rule if they don’t include the weight of the driver ffs.  Common sense.

SC

I see where you're going with that and surely that line of thinking opens up F1 to new talent with very lightweight cars. Bring it on!

image-9.jpg

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Cars are given ballast to balance out driver weights - the mandated driver weight is 80kg, so a 70kg driver has 10kg ballast onboard.

55 minutes ago, TQR said:

Cars are given ballast to balance out driver weights - the mandated driver weight is 80kg, so a 70kg driver has 10kg ballast onboard.

So, the lads in my post above would be gifted generous supplies of hydrogen, or summat, then

Sainz to Williams, replacing Sargeant

image.thumb.jpeg.3f71f899ff7189fccf4fd7b637c1f2dc.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Father Brown said:

Sainz to Williams, replacing Sargeant

image.thumb.jpeg.3f71f899ff7189fccf4fd7b637c1f2dc.jpeg

Blimey. They must be confident for 2026. Either that or Carlos has reason not to be confident in the Audi project.

To tie both conversations together, perhaps Williams is going with a novel weight reduction technique:

585340768_Image3.thumb.jpeg.51bd672a1fb12ddebc6a46556fbad3f9.jpeg

• Haha 4

It's a downgrade for Sainz but hopefully with two experienced drivers in the main team, Williams can be consistently in the points again with better upgrades. Sargeant's just not quick enough, and when he is it's not consistent.