Cowboy Ronnie

Formula 1 & Other Motor Racing

Renault Megane race cracking shunt. And she walked away!

Typical woman driver, manages to crash on a relatively straight bit of road. She oughta try driving through the rather bendy Sally in the Woods in a Fiat 128 at rather-too-many miles per hour, losing the back end on a hill with a rather large drop to the left, regaining control, and carrying on to the cinema to watch Terminator 2, all without shitting her pants. Bet she can't :)

Typical woman driver, manages to crash on a relatively straight bit of road. She oughta try driving through the rather bendy Sally in the Woods in a Fiat 128 at rather-too-many miles per hour, losing the back end on a hill with a rather large drop to the left, regaining control, and carrying on to the cinema to watch Terminator 2, all without shitting her pants. Bet she can't :)

According to one who was there she had a moment of madness after some bloke began shunting her up the rear end without any prior warning. I'd say the lady can be excused her behaviour!

I have to agree. A sigifiicant number of women drivers should never have been granted a licence to begin with - the blue rinse brigade trundling along at 30mph in their Micras, and the mothers behind the wheels of huge four wheel drives on the school run or in the supermarket carpark immediately come to mind.

I have to agree. A sigifiicant number of women drivers should never have been granted a licence to begin with - the blue rinse brigade trundling along at 30mph in their Micras, and the mothers behind the wheels of huge four wheel drives on the school run or in the supermarket carpark immediately come to mind.

I don't want to sound politically correct, but by the same reasoning many men should be banned from driving.

regards,

Hein

I don't want to sound politically correct, but by the same reasoning many men should be banned from driving.

regards,

Hein

Quite possibly true, but in my experience, the 60+ female driver is a about the worst and most dangerous there is.

According to one who was there she had a moment of madness after some bloke began shunting her up the rear end without any prior warning. I'd say the lady can be excused her behaviour!

Fair enough, although I'd be more than happy if some bloke tried shunting me up the rear end :)

Guest TDF

Robert Kubica involved in "serious" rally crash. I hope he's not too badly injured, the Renault was looking good in testing.

F1 star airlifted to hospital

Some news reports today saying Kubica's prognosis still isn't clear, others suggesting the doctors are fighting to save his hand and he's out for a whole season.

What were the odds against Petrov as world champion this time last week?

A site that might be of interest to certain members, www.celebrities-with-diseases.com, has obviously taken on board the recent Zsa Zsaga.

Responding to rumours that one of the driver’s arms may be amputated, Carrozzino said that “all assessments have yet to be made. An amputation is not a decision that is made so rapidly. I do not confirm or deny this report.”

Tom Pryce footage on You Tube. Not the usual ghoulish clip but mainly race footage. Having said that the opening shot is a head on view of the end of Ricardo Zorzi's race including a fleeting moment when the back of his car is engulfed in flames. This - at least - puts his hysterics at the start of the clip from behind his car in context. Remember, this is at the end of an era when a few drivers met their F1 end engulfed in flames. There's also a fleeting moment when something resembling a pile of offal flies past in the front of the shot!

I believe I mentioned this clip on post 271 above. At the end of the clip, you can also see Tom Pryce's blood-soaked body being stretchered away. I was surprised to find this footage even existed, as South Africa only started its TV service in 1975. It certainly adds some context to the other, more famous, clip of the accident. Though many people have been bemused at the reactions of Renzo Zorzi and Bill (the marshal seen with the non-Pryce killing extinguisher) to what was Jansen van Vuuren flailing past right in front of them.

I also scanned the pages detailing this accident from the recent 'The Lost Generation - The Brilliant But Tragic Lives Of Rising British F1 Stars Roger Williamson, Tony Brise And Tom Pryce' book, if anyone's interested in seeing them.

Renzo Zorzi has taken the last lap at 68. http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/55315/f1-ricordo-addio-a-renzo-zorzi-un-campione-incompreso

Tom Pryce footage on You Tube. Not the usual ghoulish clip but mainly race footage. Having said that the opening shot is a head on view of the end of Ricardo Zorzi's race including a fleeting moment when the back of his car is engulfed in flames. This - at least - puts his hysterics at the start of the clip from behind his car in context. Remember, this is at the end of an era when a few drivers met their F1 end engulfed in flames. There's also a fleeting moment when something resembling a pile of offal flies past in the front of the shot!

I believe I mentioned this clip on post 271 above. At the end of the clip, you can also see Tom Pryce's blood-soaked body being stretchered away. I was surprised to find this footage even existed, as South Africa only started its TV service in 1975. It certainly adds some context to the other, more famous, clip of the accident. Though many people have been bemused at the reactions of Renzo Zorzi and Bill (the marshal seen with the non-Pryce killing extinguisher) to what was Jansen van Vuuren flailing past right in front of them.

I also scanned the pages detailing this accident from the recent 'The Lost Generation - The Brilliant But Tragic Lives Of Rising British F1 Stars Roger Williamson, Tony Brise And Tom Pryce' book, if anyone's interested in seeing them.

Renzo Zorzi has taken the last lap at 68. http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/55315/f1-ricordo-addio-a-renzo-zorzi-un-campione-incompreso

YoungWillz I hope you posted in Chequered Flag and not just buried here in extra curricular threads.

SC

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

One of Britain's  former top tier speedway riders Taffy Owen has died aged 84/85 - sources vary on his age. 

As a once massive speedway fan glad to se someone posting this, but Owen was never really a top tier speedway rider. His season with top league Belle Vue was when they entered a junior team in the second division (although he was 33 at the time) and the bulk of his career was with second division workington, with whom he was generally a heat leader (i.e. one of their top 3 riders) but not really one of the stars of the league. Saw him several times at Weymouth (then my local team) in the 70s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

As a once massive speedway fan glad to se someone posting this, but Owen was never really a top tier speedway rider. His season with top league Belle Vue was when they entered a junior team in the second division (although he was 33 at the time) and the bulk of his career was with second division workington, with whom he was generally a heat leader (i.e. one of their top 3 riders) but not really one of the stars of the league. Saw him several times at Weymouth (then my local team) in the 70s.

I don't know much at all about the sport  but one of the Google searches or tweets described him like that and I just took their word for it!!

• Like 1

Former Ferrari & Williams aerodynamicist Antonia Terzi killed in car crash (of the motorway variety), aged 50. She left F1 some years back moving to Bentley, then into academia, and was about to take up a Professorship in Australia.

For those of you who attended F1 races, what has been your most vivid memory of any race? Me and my younger brother attended about 3-4 F1 races in total all with my dad. My dad on the other hand attended way more if I remember, around 10 or 11 races since the 1980s.

I enjoyed the races that I attended but don't have any memories that stand out, my dad's favorite memory at an F1 race is the time he was there attending the 1992 British Grand Prix where Mansell won and the fans swarmed to the track because my dad was one of the fans who went on the track to celebrate Mansell's victory. 

I’ve only been to the British Grand Prix. 2011, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Loved it every time but next on the agenda is seeing a different round. Monza, Red Bull Ring, Spa, Monaco, Singapore and Interlagos in particular. If I ever have some kind of windfall I’m taking a year out and doing every race on the calendar. 

Though I’ve lived and breathed F1 throughout my life, my favourite races to attend are probably BTCC rounds. I prefer to get into the minutiae of F1 races with comms and so on, the full picture, but with BTCC there’s not much to analyse, it’s just hard, close, often chaotic racing, and in its support races too. The BTCC final in 2019 was fucking incredible from the Director’s Terrace at Brands Hatch. Devastating as a Dan Cammish fan, but man alive was it exciting.

I've been to Monaco on a French exchange if that counts. Not a race day but the road is the track so...

On 17/11/2021 at 04:16, TQR said:

I’ve only been to the British Grand Prix. 2011, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Loved it every time but next on the agenda is seeing a different round. Monza, Red Bull Ring, Spa, Monaco, Singapore and Interlagos in particular. If I ever have some kind of windfall I’m taking a year out and doing every race on the calendar. 

Though I’ve lived and breathed F1 throughout my life, my favourite races to attend are probably BTCC rounds. I prefer to get into the minutiae of F1 races with comms and so on, the full picture, but with BTCC there’s not much to analyse, it’s just hard, close, often chaotic racing, and in its support races too. The BTCC final in 2019 was fucking incredible from the Director’s Terrace at Brands Hatch. Devastating as a Dan Cammish fan, but man alive was it exciting.

Interesting. I just called my dad and he has told me about all the F1 races he attended. 13 in total. Also attended the Daytona 500 in 2015 and the Indy 500 in 2011.

In order

1985 British Grand Prix

1988 German Grand Prix

1992 British Grand Prix

1994 British Grand Prix

2002 British Grand Prix. After taking a long break from attending events to focus on raising his two children he decided to take me and my brother to our first race. Don't have any memories of this.

2006 British Grand Prix.

2008 Spanish Grand Prix

2010 British Grand Prix. This was our 2nd race and my brother and I were racing fans at this time so we enjoyed watching the race.

2013 Hungarian Grand Prix

2015 British Grand Prix

2016 Spanish Grand Prix

2016 British Grand Prix

2017 Russian Grand Prix. We went to Russia for a vacation and attended the race. This was our 3rd race my brother and I attended with dad and our last F1 race as of now

Though my dad and I have not been to have of the tracks you want to go to, I definitely think you should see a different round as well. We are also hoping to do the same thing next year, either attend one of the F1 races in the Middle East or the Americas. Right now our race shortlist is Bahrain, Mexico, Canada and Brazil. Also hoping to attend the Indy 500 next year at least (plan to go by myself).

EDIT: Confirmed my ticket for the Indy 500. This is gonna be my first Indy 500 and my first time traveling abroad since the start of the rona.

Edited by TheSpinosaurus
Update
  • Like 1

Bruce Johnstone, one of Formula 1’s forgotten heroes passed away on the morning of 3 March 2022. Johnstone was among the last standing British Racing Motors (BRM) drivers, along with Howden Ganley, Vern Schuppan, and Brian Redman.

Some of his greatest achievements in the racing world include his win in the Kyalami Nine Hour in 1962 along with David Piper. He drove a Ferrari GTO in this race, which he later used as transport for his family in Johannesburg. Johnstone participated in one World Championship Grand Prix, the famous 1962 BRM/Lotus title decider in East London, and finished in ninth place. He also took part in many non-championship events where he achieved a fourth in the 1962 Oulton Park Gold Cup for BRM.
SC

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Dave Nicoll, English professional Grand Prix motocross racer has died aged 78. Obit

Chequered Flag thread, for fuck sake.

• Like 1