Cowboy Ronnie

Formula 1 & Other Motor Racing

Jo Siffert footage - apparantly - though it comes to a grinding halt after forty odd seconds every time I try and run it.

Jo Siffert footage - apparantly - though it comes to a grinding halt after forty odd seconds every time I try and run it.

"He died from suffocation". Which I suppose is the best way of putting it, since his helmet visor melted in the heat and went down into his lungs. Apparently, the wrecked BRM is still in someone's collection somwhere.

It's not as grim as a 7:29 Italian clip of Lorenzo Bandini at Monaco in 1967 I have somewhere. Those Italians really know how to do these things.

I think we've discussed this before but if they'd got Siffert out he'd have had nothing more than a broken ankle. I know the BBC had footage they've probably destroyed now looking head on at the accident and making it obvious how poor the fire fighting at Paddock Hill bend really was.

Bandini's on You Tube as well, he lived a day or two after didn't he? Looking at the crash you don't envy him those last hours.

I think we've discussed this before but if they'd got Siffert out he'd have had nothing more than a broken ankle. I know the BBC had footage they've probably destroyed now looking head on at the accident and making it obvious how poor the fire fighting at Paddock Hill bend really was.

Fire safety was generally poor at circuits back then, as you know. Immediately after Bandini's accident, quite a few tracks kitted their marshals out in full fire suits, but it had all been forgotten by 1971. It still seems appalling when you think about it, especially when you consider Roger Williamson died in exactly the same circumstances less than 2 years later. I have to ask myself if this was the same decade I was born in.

Bandini's on You Tube as well, he lived a day or two after didn't he? Looking at the crash you don't envy him those last hours.

I've seen the YouTube Bandini clips, but the one I have is worse. You get closeups of his burning car and see him being literally hauled out of the wreck coated in extinguisher powder (horribly grim photo here). Not to mention seeing his distraught wife in the pits shaking and being led away.

Bandini was underneath his Ferrari for 4 minutes. I read about it on a French site, and as far as I could make out he had 3rd degree burns on 70% of his body (apparently the nerve endings are usually destroyed in burns that bad, so his last 3 days may not have been quite as horrible as I imagined - I do hope they gave him plenty of morphine, though). As I said above, numerous drivers died in horrible fiery crashes at this time but it took many years before anyone did anything sensible to deal with or prevent them.

damn it, didn`t notice the formula one post.... i did search "bobby hamilton" before hand too...

i do apologise

[Fear not, topics now merged. DWB]

I wonder if any of our learned racing correspondents would be able to shed any light on this video of a very fiery crash at the 1981 Nurburgring 1000KM (a knowledge of German might help as well). It is a bit graphic but not as horrifying as Mary Travers.

Unless my eyes deceive me, the race was not stopped despite the fact that two wrecked cars were on fire and blocking the way. I was also wondering who the on fire chap was at the end of the video, did he ever race again?

I wonder if any of our learned racing correspondents would be able to shed any light on this video of a very fiery crash at the 1981 Nurburgring 1000KM (a knowledge of German might help as well). It is a bit graphic but not as horrifying as Mary Travers.

Unless my eyes deceive me, the race was not stopped despite the fact that two wrecked cars were on fire and blocking the way. I was also wondering who the on fire chap was at the end of the video, did he ever race again?

No. He died instantly.

His name was Herbert Mulller, and more information can be found here.

The race carried on for 3 laps before Nelson Piquet was pronounced winner. Although the fact that drivers had to pass by ambulance man with a body covered by a blanket is in very poor form.

No. He died instantly.

His name was Herbert Mulller, and more information can be found here.

The race carried on for 3 laps before Nelson Piquet was pronounced winner. Although the fact that drivers had to pass by ambulance man with a body covered by a blanket is in very poor form.

He died? The man about two minutes and twenty seconds in? He was running around OoO!

Read the report, DDT. The crash, which you asked about, was the death of Herbert Muller.

The "running man" to whom you refer was Karl-Josef Romer who raced again but was killed, also at the Nurburgring, 5 yrs on.

Unless my eyes deceive me, the race was not stopped despite the fact that two wrecked cars were on fire and blocking the way.

The German commentary states accusingly that the drivers passed the burning wreck in order to keep their place in the race, as it wasn't cancelled yet at that moment.

I was also wondering who the on fire chap was at the end of the video, did he ever race again?

According to the German commentary it's an accident Muller had nine years earlier, also on the Nurburgring. His Ferrari crashed and caught fire. He got out after 23 seconds, all in flames and suffered only minor burns.

regards,

Hein

Ah sorry, DDT, I've just seen what you meant - I couldn't see the end of the video last night (computer problems). I've only just now seen it again. I presumed wrongly you were asking about the main crash and then it was to do with the main crash footage, as Rohmer received burns in the Muller death crash and was the only person I could think of who would be running & burning.

Either way, they're dead now. :rolleyes:

Ah sorry, DDT, I've just seen what you meant - I couldn't see the end of the video last night (computer problems). I've only just now seen it again. I presumed wrongly you were asking about the main crash and then it was to do with the main crash footage, as Rohmer received burns in the Muller death crash and was the only person I could think of who would be running & burning.

Either way, they're dead now. :rolleyes:

No probs OoO. I really must stop watching these ghoulish crash scenes on YouTube.

Just a statement: I have never once in my life takin ancient Nascar drivers into consideration for Deathlist.

And I don't know why.

Thinking of the likes of MotoGP, F1, WRC, BSB etc. Could this be a bad year for the racers? I know there will be a couple at least in the road racing scene both here in NI & in the Isle Of Man as there always is.

Don't see any obvious reason why this year should be any worse than the recent past. If we're that bothered we should maybe arrange a DL outing to Handy's house in the summer and take in the action on a particularly bad part of the IOM TT course. I know it's tempting fate but I fully expect every driver on the first F1 grid of the year next month to be breathing next Christmas, a few of them may be sacked, doubt any will die.

Spectating F1 and WRC seems to be more hazardous than driving the cars. Some spectacular high speed crashes have resulted in nasty but not fatal injuries to the drivers.

Respect to the skill of the drivers and the current safety record of the cars

Thinking of the likes of MotoGP, F1, WRC, BSB etc. Could this be a bad year for the racers?

I expect a lot of the old guard to bow this year as de Graffenried & Oakes have already done, but none of the current F1 racers.

Long, big-worded but interesting medical journal article on long-term injury/strain of a F1 driver's wrist

So far the only proper medical report really published on the study of F1 drivers.

I well remember Didier Pironi had heart monitioring during a GP in 1981 (I think it was at Monaco) and these results were viewed with amazement by the Doctors - exclaiming that with such a fast beat, for so long, they would expect any "normal" person to die from such stress on their heart.

Guest Down with ferrari

Hurrah!! Finally a Mclaren 1-2, yep I know no potential death in sight but I don't care celebrating, no reds here!!!!!!! :ph34r::):P

Hurrah!! Finally a Mclaren 1-2, yep I know no potential death in sight but I don't care celebrating, no reds here!!!!!!! :):P:P

I read a race report... another dull race I'm glad I was out sailing and missed the race !

F1 is SO boring and has been for 10 years or more. Bring back straw bails and firey death for chap with stiff upper lips !

:ph34r:

You'll be meaning the likes of this, then.

Or maybe this greatest hits package, Pink Floyd song goes well with it, I reckon.

If I remember correctly Ratsenburger AND Senna died in the same weekend, ah those were the days !

Sorry, Senna was an egomaniac that thought he was indestructible and drove like it (to the detriment to others) but Ratseburger was a promising young driver that was unlucky (as I remember it).

Please remember that I am an old fart and the brain is not wot it use to be. Hind site is 20:20 and rose tinted.

Razor Boy

Same weekend and - just about - same corner, the camera filming Ratzenberger's practice accident is looking over the site of Senna's crash in the race.

Same weekend and - just about - same corner, the camera filming Ratzenberger's practice accident is looking over the site of Senna's crash in the race.

I guess its a good thing only stewards have died since??? :ph34r: