widnes14

Last of the Summer Wine

5) Frank Thornton is immortal.

NOBODY is immortal, which is - kind of - the point of this site. Granted, he might live to see his 100th birthday cards. But, he's gonna die!

Turritopsis nutricula is a hydrozoan (jellyfish) with a life cycle in which it reverts back to the polyp stage after becoming sexually mature.

It is the first case in which a metazoan (animal) is capable of reverting completely to a sexually immature, colonial stage after having reached sexual maturity as a solitary stage.

It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation. This cycle then repeats, rendering it effectively immortal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

I feel a jellyfish thread coming on...

I feel a retraction coming on, in other words there's a creature out there that - mebbe - could've stung Moses! Like, awesome.

• Like 1

5) Frank Thornton is immortal.

NOBODY is immortal, which is - kind of - the point of this site. Granted, he might live to see his 100th birthday cards. But, he's gonna die!

Turritopsis nutricula is a hydrozoan (jellyfish) with a life cycle in which it reverts back to the polyp stage after becoming sexually mature.

It is the first case in which a metazoan (animal) is capable of reverting completely to a sexually immature, colonial stage after having reached sexual maturity as a solitary stage.

It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation. This cycle then repeats, rendering it effectively immortal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_nutricula

I feel a jellyfish thread coming on...

I feel a retraction coming on, in other words there's a creature out there that - mebbe - could've stung Moses! Like, awesome.

An immortal creature that could have stung Moses, you say?... I think this might be the beginning of something bigger than a jellyfish thread . It could be the basis of a new religion.

Hello there, I'm a Turritopsis Fundamentalist, what are you ?

It's been posted elsewhere, but figured this thread should come back with the passing of Foggy.

I was going to post it here, but the search feature was 'doing my head in'.

Guest bennys farts
It's been posted elsewhere, but figured this thread should come back with the passing of Foggy.

It will be nora batty next... im gonna bomb that bastard cafe out of sight :skull:

Guest Scot

Another one who was in Last of the Summer Wine went last week - Foggy has now joined Compo in the great hills in the sky.

Guest Brit

And, in other news... Charlton Heston has died.

Another one who was in Last of the Summer Wine went last week - Foggy has now joined Compo in the great hills in the sky.

He died on 20 March, which is over a month ago. f*****t.

And, in other news... Charlton Heston has died.

No sh*t, sherlock

Kathy Staff aka Nora Batty has died. Announced on the radio, no link yet.

Kathy Staff aka Nora Batty has died. Announced on the radio, no link yet.

Surely that means the end of the series. It wouldn't be the same without Nora Batty's tights?

Don't bet on it though...

Its confirmed on the BBC news website. Link ASAP.

[edit] I keep getting the error 404 message, however, the headline story is

Summer Wine star Staff dies at 80

Actress Kathy Staff, who played Nora Batty in long-running BBC One sitcom Last Of The Summer Wine, has died.

link

It will be nora batty next... im gonna bomb that bastard cafe out of sight :pop:

Good call, sir!

It will be nora batty next... im gonna bomb that bastard cafe out of sight :pop:

Don't worry, they'll have to close the café down now. They're short of staff...

... I'm on the way to the cloakroom.

Surely that means the end of the series. It wouldn't be the same without Nora Batty's tights?

Don't bet on it though...

Last of Last of

Russ Abbott "gutted".

(I STILL wouldn't bet on it....)

Last of Last of

Russ Abbott "gutted".

There will be so much uproar from the elderly, the Daily Mail et al, that it will NEVER finish.

Mind you, with Peter Sallis nearly blind and one of the recent more popular cast members apparently in very poor health, it's not a surprise if they do finish.

Smacks of generating publicity. They'll cancel it for a while, only to revive it, possibly with a cast healthy enough to go on for a few more years. Peter Sallis may have strutted his last before the cameras but there are a few others who'll be able to continue.

Smacks of generating publicity. They'll cancel it for a while, only to revive it, possibly with a cast healthy enough to go on for a few more years. Peter Sallis may have strutted his last before the cameras but there are a few others who'll be able to continue.

Hey, this idea's got legs Mary - they could revive it with Neil Morrissey, Martin Clunes and, perhaps Phil Mitchell as the grumpy one, and Denise Van Outen in a Nora Batty-esque role - it could go on for years! Hurrah! Time to slit my throat.

Last of Last of

Russ Abbott "gutted".

There will be so much uproar from the elderly, the Daily Mail et al, that it will NEVER finish.

Mind you, with Peter Sallis nearly blind and one of the recent more popular cast members apparently in very poor health, it's not a surprise if they do finish.

Not Frank Thornton is it?

Nah, Thornton's immortal anyway

He's not an unique pick on the DDP, so I might as well tell you - Stephen Lewis (Smiler) is not too well, I hear.

Nah, Thornton's immortal anyway

He's not an unique pick on the DDP, so I might as well tell you - Stephen Lewis (Smiler) is not too well, I hear.

I honestly haven't got time to enter the DDP, I've got too many dead pools going on that I'm having difficulty keeping track of each one.

I heard Stephen Lewis wasn't doing too well although he doesn't seem to be at death's door

If they were really gonna revive it, how about approaching Lemmy to join the cast? A Compo for the 21st century if ever such a creature existed.

Definitely maybe The End.

Definitely maybe The End.

A decision that makes little commercial or artistic sense. Reading between the lines here, it's the aged creative team that have killed it off, potentially this show had the immortality of - say - Coronation Street, but that would have required those that created it passing on the brand to new generations of writers.

Wallace and Gromit will doubtless go the same way in a couple of decades.

It's ironic that one of the 'younger' cast members drafted in , Trevor Bannister has dropped dead while the oldies like Frank Thornton and Peter Sallis shuffle on!

• Like 1