millwall32

Alex Higgins (And Snooker)

52 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Just the one no-info here - Fred van Rensberg I would assume is dead? But can't find any DOB/DOD info - he was South African if that helps anyone here track that down?

Van Rensburg. There's a Fred van Rensburg from JoBo listed as dead on this family tree website, most of the data is paywalled but it says he had a son in 1948 so that could be our guy - would put him in his 40s during his visit to the UK.

23 hours ago, Arsewipe said:

Paul Hunter aside, it seems Snooker is a good sport for longevity as long as you look after yourself, unlike Higgins and that fat Canadian with the long name.

Man, life was so much simpler in the days when this was an acceptable image of elite sport, eh?

Big-bill.jpg

I mean, yer average Joe could look in on television and consider he had some chance of competing if he put his mind to it.

Bill Weberniuk, btw for you young 'uns. 

Died aged 56

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Van Rensburg. There's a Fred van Rensburg from JoBo listed as dead on this family tree website, most of the data is paywalled but it says he had a son in 1948 so that could be our guy - would put him in his 40s during his visit to the UK.

To complicate matters more he had a son called thread and the est birth-periods are 50 years.

F. Van Rensburg Sr est birth between 1883 and 1943?

F. Van Rensburg Jr est birth between 1918 and 1978?

They read more like birth/death dates to be frank....

If Jr was born in 1918 that would make him 48 when he came to the World Champs, and make him 102 if he was still alive, I'm pretty sure we'd know about a 102 year old snooker player?? no??.....

So probably safe to say (with the caveat that we haven't tracked down death records for  Stanbury or Lees but both were active so long ago as to be presumably dead) that Rex Williams is the last survivor of the 'pre-modern' era of snooker world championships given Reardon's first appearance was 1969. 

Without more complete data either father or son could be our Van Resburg...

Conrad Stanbury died in 1973 in Hounslow, born 29 Jan 1894. Source: England and Wales death index.

Unless there's anything more detailed about Lees or FvR, then there's not much more delving I can do currently.

34 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Conrad Stanbury died in 1973 in Hounslow, born 29 Jan 1894. Source: England and Wales death index.

Unless there's anything more detailed about Lees or FvR, then there's not much more delving I can do currently.

Cheers. Updated my post to reflect that.

Regards Jim Lees - his only final stage pro-matches appear to be the 1954 championship (or at least of those including on cuetracker's extensive but incomplete database.) Tbh given these are disputed world championships as far as validity goes, and he's seems to have fluked his way into I'd be amazed if we get any info at all.... although they have him turning pro in 1946 which would make him unlikely to be alive. That said this is the same Jim Lees he was at the qualifiers in 1947...... so would presumably have been at least in his 20s but anywhere up to his 50s or 60s at that age.... he's listed as English....

I wonder if South African newspapers could perhaps help with regard to Van Rensburg and any potential obituary or follow up pieces on him (the chances of a bloke who played in the 19....

A Jimmy Van Rensburg b. 1931 appears to be alive - perhaps a relative of the Fred were looking for? He was 46 when he turned professional in 1978 and won the South African Professional Championship in 1984?.

To add to this Fred Van Resburg was at least 31 in 1964..... according to an article from the 1964 Birmingham Daily Post in the British Newspaper Archive that names Rex Williams at 31 the youngest on their group of best players that includes van Rensburg....

That would make him at least 89 if he's still alive, but more than likely in his late 90s to early 100s going by average age of the rest of the players they mention. Seems pretty safe to say he's dead.

Mention of death of Freddie van Rensburg here.

"Catherine’s uncle on her mother’s side, Freddie VAN RENSBURG, was a national professional snooker and billiards champion. He passed away in 1997 at the age of 88."

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Mention of death of Freddie van Ransburg here.

"Catherine’s uncle on her mother’s side, Freddie VAN RENSBURG, was a national professional snooker and billiards champion. He passed away in 1997 at the age of 88."

Wow. Just wow. Full credit for that effort - and there was me cycling through newspaper archives to get his age. :lol:

So just the mysterious Jim Lees left to confirm that Rex Williams is definitely the last man standing from the final stages of pre-1969 world champs (I ain't looking at the bloody qualifiers if the actual final stages players are this obscure...)

• Like 1

Had a look for Jim Lees.

No luck on Ancestry (tried to get him through census records via occupation but I suppose back then they would have had another job aside from playing snooker!).

A photo or an excerpt would help me narrow it on Ancestry. Annoyingly there are a few eBay hits on him where the page has now disappeared because they're past items e.g. if you type in "Jim Lees" snooker then hit images, the second image result I can see is an edition of "Billiards and Snooker" where he is mentioned. The photo on the front cover could be him and it might help with picture recognition from family trees on Ancestry. Sadly when you click that image, it just takes you to a related search page on eBay grrr.

As OoO said, unless somebody can throw us a key detail, we probably won't find him. Keep digging though.

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Had a look for Jim Lees.

No luck on Ancestry (tried to get him through census records via occupation but I suppose back then they would have had another job aside from playing snooker!).

A photo or an excerpt would help me narrow it on Ancestry. Annoyingly there are a few eBay hits on him where the page has now disappeared because they're past items e.g. if you type in "Jim Lees" snooker then hit images, the second image result I can see is an edition of "Billiards and Snooker" where he is mentioned. The photo on the front cover could be him and it might help with picture recognition from family trees on Ancestry. Sadly when you click that image, it just takes you to a related search page on eBay grrr.

As OoO said, unless somebody can throw us a key detail, we probably won't find him. Keep digging though.

picclick can sometimes through up images for dead ebay listing unforutantely there's three named players and 2 on the cover.

Billiards-And-Snooker-Richard-Holt-1961-ID22394.jpg

https://picclick.co.uk/Billiards-And-Snooker-Richard-Holt-1961-ID22394-372516250301.html

Here’s the lad!

Original tweet. If they are listed in order then he’s second from right.

From looking at the photo my money is on most probably deceased. :lol:

D567AFAA-50E5-4117-BED2-3BABFC679A4D.jpeg

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Here’s the lad!

Original tweet. If they are listed in order then he’s second from right.

From looking at the photo my money is on most probably deceased. :lol:

D567AFAA-50E5-4117-BED2-3BABFC679A4D.jpeg

I'd go with most probably deceased but it's hard to always tell in black and white. Looks to be in his 40s to 50s? Which would make him anywhere from 107 to 117 ; even if he looks a bit old for his age he'd be 97....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Snooker returns 1st June.

https://wst.tv/championship-league-to-start-june-1st/

A few active tour players might be good punts for the MMMDP

That's good news  for my dad who has to self isolate till at least the end of June and watches snooker on tv all the time. .Not so good news for my mum who has to self isolate with him ! She's not such a big fan ! She's been enjoying watching box sets of drama series for the last few weeks ! There could be trouble ahead ...:unsure:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

That's good news  for my dad who has to self isolate till at least the end of June and watches snooker on tv all the time. .Not so good news for my mum who has to self isolate with him ! She's not such a big fan ! She's been enjoying watching box sets of drama series for the last few weeks ! There could be trouble ahead ...:unsure:

Get em a second telly amazoned as an isolation present? 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2020 at 15:50, Miracle Aligner said:

I'd go with most probably deceased but it's hard to always tell in black and white. Looks to be in his 40s to 50s? Which would make him anywhere from 107 to 117 ; even if he looks a bit old for his age he'd be 97....

Definitely dead.... 

I asked on my snooker forum and a bloke called Mick came through... he was born in 1908 and we think he died in  1965 - the death could be someone else but he's almost certainly dead. This information pretty much confirms Rex Williams is - as we already thought the last surviving pre-modern era  world championship snooker player. 

Hi yes.

Actually page 137 of John Kobylecky's book The Complete International Directory of snooker players gives his birth date as 8/9/08.

His name is given as H. Jim Lees. I checked the birth registry for anyone of that name born in england in 1908 and there was a Horace James Lees born in Salop at that time.

A Horace J Lees died aged 58 in Fulham in 1965, he would be the right age but may or may not be the same person.

The photo on twitter is dated 1952/53 which would put him about 44-45 years old.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

Definitely dead.... 

I asked on my snooker forum and a bloke called Mick came through... he was born in 1908 and we think he died in  1965 - the death could be someone else but he's almost certainly dead. This information pretty much confirms Rex Williams is - as we already thought the last surviving pre-modern era  world championship snooker player. 

Bravo @Miracle Aligner!

Here is an Ancestry family tree page, with records to back it up:

Horace James Lees

1908–1965

BIRTH 8 SEP 1908 • Newport, Shropshire, England

DEATH 27 JAN 1965 • Fulham, London, England

Residence

Sep 1939 • 1 Rosemount, Furnace Lane, Oakengates, Shropshire, England

Marital Status: Single; Occupation: Billiard Hall Proprietor

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Can't move his arms or legs so needs some dedicated looking after

When he drops a number two they likely have to get one of his snooker cues and take a shot at the brown to clear the mess!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Guarantee you the attention seeking cunt will die either the day before or in the middle of the World Snooker Championship so he gets all the 'late great' bollocks from Dennis & friends an a special documentary made despite a career that's thoroughly undeserving of any such recognition. 

Also read the entire article - he's got Sepsis - so a 1 in 5 shot of the final black.

23 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Can't move his arms or legs so needs some dedicated looking after

When he drops a number two they likely have to get one of his snooker cues and take a shot at the brown to clear the mess!

Snooker poopy!

• Like 1

For the interested or just the bored, the Covid Classic Championship League will be shown on ITV4 from 3pm each day from tomorrow until the 11th June. 

On in ten minutes.

For a bit of context only 10 of the top 128 players have tables at home, and snooker clubs have only just re-opened for professionals. So this might be worth a watch for comedy purposes alone. 

On 25/05/2020 at 20:18, gcreptile said:

Fundraising page? I know gambling might be considered a disease but sheesh the blokes earned and blown more money....

'Best friend' Lineker coughed up a whole grand (euro's at that) from his 1M+ a year licence fee payer salary (pounds). Still, if you're concerned he'd just stick it on the 3:30 at Kempton Park I can see the reasoning.

Don't wish the health thing on him though of course.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Fundraising page? I know gambling might be considered a disease but sheesh the blokes earned and blown more money....

'Best friend' Lineker coughed up a whole grand (euro's at that) from his 1M+ a year licence fee payer salary (pounds). Still, if you're concerned he'd just stick it on the 3:30 at Kempton Park I can see the reasoning.

Don't wish the health thing on him though of course.

Yeah I think it's ridiculously sad that he's begging for money too. He's destitute though so understand why he would. 

Anyway to the active players - I'm not saying they're out of practice but the high break is in the low 60s a dozen frames or so in. 

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

'Best friend' Lineker coughed up a whole grand (euro's at that) from his 1M+ a year licence fee payer salary (pounds).

We're straying towards my favourite topic of Children in Need and all that wank when multi multi millionaires give their time for free so that the poor folk of Britain can contribute their last £20 each to tot up to £20m that the celebrities and sportsmen could just have coughed up so we could watch something decent on the TV instead of a pile of shite.

And whilst I'm totally off topic on this topic all these other fuck big organisations like M&S and McDonalds and British Airways turn up with their massive cheques that are actually our fucking money that we dropped in all the tins and bags etc etc in their stores, planes, restaurants etc during the year. Whole thing is a rape of the poor to give to the poorer and even more unfortunate.

And if these charities are important, same with Help the Heroes - these guys and gals got injured on our behalf, then the government should be funding them properly out of the taxes that the poor of Britain have already paid.

And if they are not important then they shouldn't exist (most of them are important and should exist but should be funded properly). That would also mean that you wouldn't have to spend about an hour a week forking out money to wankers doing sponsored exercise which they want to do anyway.

Perhaps if we eliminated all the above then when the real evil cunts who try and get their kids sponsored to go and Walk the Great Wall of China or go on the trip of a lifetime to South America or summat then those fuckers would stand out like a sore thumb and everyone would tell them to go fuck themselves and pay for their own kids fucking holidays like the rest of us.

Rant over - the conversation may return back to Willie Thorne and his health and gambling.

• Like 6