Lee Kuan Yew has flown in to see Suharto, so I guess he's thinking that the end is fairly near.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/worldNews/id...K30360420080114

improves (slightly)

we're seeing a pattern

thursday: suharto improves slightly

friday: suharto suffers multiple organ failure

saturday: suharto improves slightly

sunday: suharto very critical

monday: suharto improves slightly (again)

i kept on googling suharto today (hah, I was sick today, and my temperature was unstable for a while). I felt that he wasn't dead since that would otherwise be reported in the media. (his health updates come every 24 hrs)

Indonesia's elite pays respects to dying deposed president

Like an old mafia boss, former Indonesian president Suharto lies dying in a Jakarta hospital, surrounded by weeping family members, personal advisors and public protectors.

Doctors say the 86-year-old is in a coma after suffering multiple organ failure and is on a ventilator.

Guest Guestiepoo
Indonesia's elite pays respects to dying deposed president

Like an old mafia boss, former Indonesian president Suharto lies dying in a Jakarta hospital, surrounded by weeping family members, personal advisors and public protectors.

Doctors say the 86-year-old is in a coma after suffering multiple organ failure and is on a ventilator.

We should invoke the "Sharon rule" and claim him as dead. Oh, I've forgotten, we haven't invoked that rule on Sharon yet...

Guest Guest

Now that I reread the Wiki... just wow....

His purges were done in full view (and, I assume, implicit approval) of the McCarthyesque West.... but historically, it was not uncommon for leaders to destroy the families of the previous rulers... I suppose there's an analogy here somewhere.

Seeing the recent impacts of strike and strike threats on France, the UK, and the US, I might agree with his doing away with labor unions...

However, he did bring in and distribute food aid to the citizenship...

Now - on his deathbed, he is both adored and despised by Indonesians...

Just... wow. There will be no one neutral about his death.

Former Indonesian Dictator Suharto Contracts Pneumonia, Clings to Life

JAKARTA, Indonesia — Doctors caring for Indonesia's former dictator Suharto said Monday he had contracted pneumonia in one of his lungs — one of the most dangerous threats for a patient suffering from multiple organ failure.

The doctors said they were amazed that Suharto was still clinging to life after their weekend prognosis that he had only a slim chance of recovering from multiple organ failure. Family members, meanwhile, said they would leave it to physicians to decide if and when the 86-year-old should be taken off life support.

Pulmonologist Hadiarto Mangunnegoro said one of Suharto's lungs had become infected with mild pneumonia — one of the gravest threats to patients suffering from organ failure. Doctors were trying to make sure it did not spread to the second lung, he said, which "would be very dangerous."

I'm neutral about his death in much the same way as I am indiffernt to the minute by minute Suhartowatch played out in this thread over the last few days.

Different strokes I guess...

It's like Yasser Arafat all over again. He's a gonner, but he'll take ages to finally go.

(having said that...no doubt he'll shuffle off this afternoon.)

It's like Yasser Arafat all over again. He's a gonner, but he'll take ages to finally go.

Isn't there an ancient proverb that covers this?

"A watched dictator never dies"?

Agreed! Maybe its something to do with divine retribution. The more horrible you are in life the longer you take to die. Sharon, Fidel, Arafat and now Suharto all seem to be following the same path and were all far from saintly.

Mind you my arguement falls down with Saddam but only because Bush wanted his pound of flesh, I suspect he could have gone on for years suffering from something horrible, if given a chance.

I'm neutral about his death in much the same way as I am indiffernt to the minute by minute Suhartowatch played out in this thread over the last few days.

Yes, he's had a couple of different strokes over the years which have contributed to his currently frail health.

At this rate everyone else will die ahead of Suharto

Visitors not permitted to see Suharto

Only members of the presidential doctor team and close relatives such as soeharto's children and grandchildren, were allowed to go inside the room where Soeharto is being treated at Pertamina Hospital

Visitors not permitted to see Suharto

Only members of the presidential doctor team and close relatives such as soeharto's children and grandchildren, were allowed to go inside the room where Soeharto is being treated at Pertamina Hospital

I always wondered why doctors impose this rule. Are they concerned that if someone walks into the room, they'll cough on him and he'll die, or is it the draught from opening the door they're concerned about? If I was lying there about to die I'd want loads of people to come in and tell stories about what a great guy I was. That would make me feel much better.

Suharto's fine, he'll be doing jumping jacks next week and running the Bali Marathon the week after.

Nah, just some dedicated doctors. He's in very poor health, worse than Sharon and it IS only a matter of a short time now. His improvement in this case is relative to his previous lingering at the door of death. Put it this way; none of us on here would be well advised to swap health with him.

Nah, just some dedicated doctors. He's in very poor health, worse than Sharon and it IS only a matter of a short time now. His improvement in this case is relative to his previous lingering at the door of death. Put it this way; none of us on here would be well advised to swap health with him.

Also he has a cast-iron constitution

Guest Guestiepoo

I guess I meant Indonesians, particularly those who have been directly affected by his rule.

thursday: suharto improves slightly

friday: suharto suffers multiple organ failure

saturday: suharto improves slightly

sunday: suharto very critical

monday: suharto improves slightly

tuesday: suharto develops sepsis and irregular heartbeat

and as a comparison...

April 1, 2005 -- The pope is reportedly suffering from a serious bloodstream infection called sepsis.

The Vatican says the pope is in "very serious condition" but is "lucid and fully conscious." Due to the seriousness of his condition, the Vatican reported that last rites -- a Catholic sacrament -- were performed on the pontiff last night. The sacrament is given to people who are seriously ill as well as to those who are near death.

Thursday, the Vatican reported the pope had very low blood pressure and went into septic shock. Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls says the pope's blood pressure is still "unstable."

Septic shock occurs when blood pressure drops severely. With this condition the body's organs, including the kidneys, liver, lungs, and brain, don't get enough blood supply. This can cause them to not function properly.

sepsis:

There were 2,070 visits in the derivation set, with 110 deaths (5.3%), and 1,109 visits in the validation set, with 63 deaths (5.7%). Independent multivariate predictors of death were terminal illness (odds ratio, 6.1; 95% confidence interval, 3.6-10.2), tachypnea or hypoxia (2.7, 1.6-4.3), septic shock (2.7, 1.2-5.7), platelet count <150,000 (2.5, 1.5-4.3), band proportion >5% (2.3, 1.5-3.5), age >65 (2.2, 1.3-3.6), lower respiratory infection (1.9, 1.2-3.0), nursing home residence (1.9, 1.2-3.0), and altered mental status (1.6, 1.0-2.6). The clinical prediction rule stratified patients into mortality risk groups of very low, 0.9% (95% confidence interval, 0.2-1.5%); low, 2.0% (0.8-3.2%); moderate, 7.8% (5.6-10%); high, 20% (13-27%); and very high, 50% (36.1-64%) in the derivation set. Mortality rates for the corresponding risk groups in the validation set were 1.1%, 4.4%, 9.3%, 16%, and 39%, respectively. The receiver operating characteristic area for the rule was 0.82 in the derivation set and 0.78 in the validation set. CONCLUSIONS: In patients with suspected infection, this model identifies significant correlates of death and allows stratification of patients according to mortality risk. As new therapies become available for patients with sepsis syndromes, the ability to predict mortality risk may be helpful in triage and treatment decisions.

Suharto is a lot like the pope - you can't trace either of their conditions to the top leading causes of death (aka related to artery clotting or cancer) - they just die by becoming really really weak

Guest Guest_DAVE_*

by the way if Suharto dies n o later than saturday it will be the best ever start to the year for deathlist-there hasnt been a 2nd hit earlier than january 20 before.So heres hoping....