Lady Die

DL Members' Secrets

Mad, bad and dangerous to know.

SLTG Boudicca is a moderator and you go and say that about her!

I have countless secretes, countless secretes that DL members

could not understand. :D

Or may choose not to ;)

I have countless secretes, countless secretes that DL members

could not understand. :D

I am not sure that we should wish to share your secretions, bodily or otherwise.

My parents are , wait for it , Scousers. Oh the shame.

I'm a fan of Intelligent Design.

Anything that annoys the scientific establishment that much, can't be all bad.

Well done Kansas, for its superb decision to allow the nonsensical Evolution theory, to be questioned and doubted in its schools.

The USA, showing us all the way forward.

See, I was assured that people around here are intellectually stimulating rational thinkers (assuming their minds haven't been addled by an exclusive diet of root vegetables). I see I was misled. Such a disappointment... :D

I'm a fan of Intelligent Design.

Anything that annoys the scientific establishment that much, can't be all bad.

Well done Kansas, for its superb decision to allow the nonsensical Evolution theory, to be questioned and doubted in its schools.

The USA, showing us all the way forward.

As much as I try to avoid arguments on here, isnt it clear that Intelligent Design is a transparent compromise theory that is sufficently vague to allow the fundamental concepts of religion to exist alongside overwhelming scientific evidence of how the universe really evolved?

Not that I'm not keeping an open mind on this subject :D

Well, as someone at Panda's Thumb pointed out, intelligent design counts as a scientific theory if you completely redefine "scientific" and "theory." It would appear that the Kansas school board is attempting to do exactly that.

And yes, it's religious to the core.

Well my take is that we obviously do not fully understand cosmology and all that stuff yet, but maybe string theory and that 11th dimension stuff is progress in the right direction.

I see it like an ant creeping around in my garden - He has no idea whatsoever about other continents because he doesn't have the experience of them or the brain power to even start to see a picture that big. However, humans have got that stuff sorted now and are making inroads into much bigger questions.

To come up with an idea that the universe and its contents are just too complex to have been created by chance sounds like a convenient cop out. Given enough time all things will happen no matter how small the probability. Given enough time Clive Dunn will die. Its no good saying that there is some mysterious intelligent force at work which will ensure that Dunn lives forever if that's what the intelligent one decides. I just cant accept it.

Dunn's death will therefore prove the invalidity of Intelligent Design theory - probably :D

if you completely redefine "scientific" and "theory." It would appear that the Kansas school board is attempting to do exactly that.

Agreed here - The Darwin theory in my eyes is total

complete nonsense. He was a scientist that compared

us to an ape and tried to explain that this we evolved

from over time.

I actually was watching the History channel not to long

ago back during the summer. I was watching a show

based on how time started. Supposeably there were

3 different kinds of apes, One around 7 ft tall, One the

average human size and one a bit smaller.

Anyhow it continued with the story how our species

was the most dominant and as time progressed our

population grew and grew.

Although with the many spiritual experiences i have

witnessed in my life, the results of this story to me

are as false as how the earth was once said to

be flat.

It would be a lot simpler if they had R.E. lessons, and ID could be incorporated into these

Things aren't nearly that simple. The attack on evolution is part of a broader-based attack on science in general by social and religious conservatives in the USA. Having ID in RE lessons, even if they existed, wouldn't have the desired effect, which is to attack science and Enlightenment rational thought in the pursuit of a political and ideological agenda.

This book provides a good, if rather frightening, overview.

Although with the many spiritual experiences i have

witnessed in my life, the results of this story to me

are as false as how the earth was once said to

be flat.

But the "earth is flat" theory was destroyed by the gathering of indisputable evidence which ultimately become too overwhelming for that theory to survive.

Unless my, admittedly shallow, knowledge of ID is wrong, the ID concept isn't based on any hard evidence at all - just the idea that there simply must be some incomprehensible force that created our universe and everything in it. Oh...and that force is therefore what the religions of the world call God or whatever they choose to name him/it/her.

Unless my, admittedly shallow, knowledge of ID is wrong, the ID concept isn't based on any hard evidence at all - just the idea that there simply must be some incomprehensible force that created our universe and everything in it.  Oh...and that force is therefore what the religions of the world call God or whatever they choose to name him/it/her.

That would make a reasonable definition of God (or whatever....) but ID goes nowhere in explaining how the universe happened. Instead it gives subscribers to the theory/belief an excuse to speculate about how God (or whatever.....) went about it, and to take the incredibly arrogant path of ascribing "intelligence" to a being who (if he/she it exists) is likely to be well beyond the realm of what we know as intelligence.

We must remember that science over the centuries has created almost as many problems as it has solved.

Are you suggesting that science has a poorer solutions to problems ratio than religion??!

We must remember that science over the centuries has created almost as many problems as it has solved.

One of the biggest problems that science has yet to find the answer to is "What is the question?" In other words, science must somehow discover the questions/problems that it will then investigate.

Religion tends to get made up as it goes along. I suspect that is a basic tenet that must be accepted before one can take "religion" seriously enough to become, for example, an archbishop. :D

A religious mistake isn't likely to wipe out humanity, but a scientific mistake could very well do so.

...unless the two become confused !

A religious mistake isn't likely to wipe out humanity, but a scientific mistake could very well do so.

...unless the two become confused !

I can't recall the last time I heard of a bus load of people being massacred by Scientific zealots.

If science does kill on a large scale, it's generally at the hands of some ideological maniac that's 100% sure that their God is the one-and-only and everyone else is hell spawn.

I can't recall the last time I heard of a bus load of people being massacred by Scientific zealots.

Well honez, dont speak too soon - those hotels that just went up in Jordan might well have been as a result of some over-vigourous scientific discussion that just got out of hand :D

Ahhh but aren't we getting confused here as we are comparing science and religion as belief systems not the tools that science can provide.

Its not like science as a belief system was ever the basis for a world war - don't try to tell me anyone's coming up with an idea like say...the Aryan race idea and going to war over that...

...Doh!