Sign in to follow this  
MadMac

Robert Robinson

Back on the subject of RR, weren't the families on Ask the Family dreadful?

"Mr Middleclass who's a librarian, Mrs Middleclass who's a teacher and their children Tarquin aged 14 and Crispian aged 12."  And they all wore NHS glasses.

And what was the implication in lumping together the "mother and youngest child" for some questions?

Blacks were a bit thin on the ground too! Maybe an investigative program should run RR to ground and ask if he was a closet fascist all along.

Worrying. A theme tune that has been wiped completely from my memory. Ask The Family was a forgotten prisoner in some secluded cell parked in the remotest recess of my brain before reading this stuff. Imagine year upon year of solitary confinement before someone turns the key and announces: "You have a visitor." It can mess up your mind.

"Mr Middleclass who's a librarian, Mrs Middleclass who's a teacher and their children Tarquin aged 14 and Crispian aged 12."  And they all wore NHS glasses.

And what was the implication in lumping together the "mother and youngest child" for some questions?

Blacks were a bit thin on the ground too! Maybe an investigative program should run RR to ground and ask if he was a closet fascist all along.

Were there black people in the 60s & 70s? I don't remember seeing them anywhere on TV.

Were there black people in the 60s & 70s? I don't remember seeing them anywhere on TV.

Well there was the 'Black and White Minstrel Show'. B)

Were there black people in the 60s & 70s? 

There certainly were,

but they were only allowed out after dark,

lest they scare the natives. B)

There certainly were,

I'd have thought that would scare the natives more. You'd only be able to see their teeth & the whites of their eyes. B)

There certainly were,

I'd have thought that would scare the natives more. You'd only be able to see their teeth & the whites of their eyes. B)

I think you'll find the ordinance in force at that time, stated that dark glasses had to be worn and smiling was prohibited.

There certainly were,

lest they scare the natives. ;)

I think you'll find the ordinance in force at that time, stated that dark glasses had to be worn and smiling was prohibited.

Thanks for that info. B)

Whilst listening to a very dull episode of “The Brain of Britain” on Radio 4 today, I began to wonder not only how old RR is but whether he would be somewhere on the DeathList, given that he was not exactly young back in the seventies, when presenting “Ask the Family.”

I'm pleased to see he's here.

A quick trawl on the net did not bring to light any news or more recent photographs of our subject than those apparently taken in 1973, so it's hard to tell how healthy he currently looks. He has just turned 79.

To add to the nostalgic feel of this thread, here are a couple of reminders of his best work, "Ask the Family."

First, a typical family of contestants.

askthefamily_old_team.jpg

The Dawsons from "Godalming." George is these days a retried accountant, Tristan still collects stamps even after his gender reassignment, Simon works in advertising while Jennifer (yes those do look like NHS specs) does voluntary work at a lesbian collective in Camden. You can be assured that this is from the seventies by the massive preponderance of brown.

To really bring it back, here are some obscure teasers from everyone's favourite Christmas present from 1972, The Ask the Family quiz book.

Q. If Dover is 2 and Plymouth 3, what is Edinburgh?

Q. If 8 follows 1, and 3 is between 17 and 19, which number is dead centre?

Q. A boy had 9 coins totalling 46.5p made up of three each of three different coins. What were the coins?

Q. On a telephone dial, the finger hole for '0' is at six o'clock at the bottom. Which digit is at the top at twelve o'clock?

Q. If an LP lasts 30 minutes, how many times will it revolve while being played?

The last two, presumably like RR, are showing their age.

Whilst listening to a very dull episode of “The Brain of Britain” on Radio 4 today, I began to wonder not only how old RR is but whether he would be somewhere on the DeathList, given that he was not exactly young back in the seventies, when presenting “Ask the Family.”

I'm pleased to see he's here.

A quick trawl on the net did not bring to light any news or more recent photographs of our subject than those apparently taken in 1973, so it's hard to tell how healthy he currently looks. He has just turned 79.

To add to the nostalgic feel of this thread, here are a couple of reminders of his best work, "Ask the Family."

First, a typical family of contestants.

askthefamily_old_team.jpg

The Dawsons from "Godalming." George is these days a retried accountant, Tristan still collects stamps even after his gender reassignment, Simon works in advertising while Jennifer (yes those do look like NHS specs) does voluntary work at a lesbian collective in Camden. You can be assured that this is from the seventies by the massive preponderance of brown.

To really bring it back, here are some obscure teasers from everyone's favourite Christmas present from 1972, The Ask the Family quiz book.

Q. A boy had 9 coins totalling 46.5p made up of three each of three different coins. What were the coins?

Q. On a telephone dial, the finger hole for '0' is at six o'clock at the bottom. Which digit is at the top at twelve o'clock?

Q. If an LP lasts 30 minutes, how many times will it revolve while being played?

The last two, presumably like RR, are showing their age.

Three 10p coins, 3 x 5p coins, 3 half p coins.

Did they ever get a prize on Ask the Family? No, I thought not.

The prize was - I think - some stupid trophy or other useless insult, like premium bonds for the kids. Remember in the days of industrial action and three day weeks the BBC had a problem with giving away anything valuable, as it was all paid for the struggling licence payers.

1) 1 (It's the numbers of the trunk roads that lead to them from London)

2) 50 (It's a dartboard)

3) Answered elsewhere

4) 5, I think

5) 1000 (33 1/3 RPM)

And no, I don't have the book.

4) 5, I think

3, rather:

29191227.telefonedisco1usmint.jpg

That's for European models. Apparently US models have a slightly different lay-out.

regards,

Hein

George is these days a retried accountant

What was he retried for? My guess is crimes against fashion.

BTW why is "Godalming" in quotes?

Well, old Smuggins is still alive, though he's quitting the day job. Another Humph scenario, or just a call-my-bluff-tshirt_thumb.jpg?

Call My Bluff presenter Robert Robinson dead at 83!

He was on my list of possibilities for 2011, but was he on my final list...?

Ah no, tish, would that he were.

Seven years ago today, the Reaper called Robert Robinson's bluff, aged 83.

Image result for robert robinson

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Seven years ago today, the Reaper called Robert Robinson's bluff, aged 83.

Image result for robert robinson

Did he Ask the Family first?

• Like 2