Godot

Mollie Sugden et al

It wouldn't surprise me if she won a few awards for playing Nana in that last episode.

And quite rightly so. Liz Smith is a bit of a national treasure, and has been for years. Yes, she seemed very spritely on Paul O'Grady the other day so unless she gets a sudden complaint like a bout of pneumonia or a chill on her kidneys I can't see her popping off any time soon.

A bit like Dame Thora Hird, I don't ever recall her being young - I know she was quite late on to acting but she's played batty old grannys for at least 20 years now, and both her roles in 2.4 Children and The Royle Family are so spot on it's like seeing my grandmother on the screen.

I'm rather surprised both Wikipedia and IMDB list her birth year as 1921. I could have sworn it was more like 1924 or 1926 - perhaps that's what it 'used' to be...

She apparently invented the binliner as well!

Do we think that she will be made a Dame?

I don't think she will because she doesn't have a high enough acting profile.

It would be nice though, she is a funny woman.

She apparently invented the binliner as well!

When she does pop off it would be apt to bury her in a binliner.

If they haven't yet met it would be nice if the powers were to discuss the possibility of deathlisting Mollie Sugden. It would be a great honour for her. There hasn't been any news about her since her Little Britain appearance as far as I can see but she certainly has an international presence thanks to the success of Are You being Served in the US.

It's a long shot with none of the actuarial support and research provided by RA and OoO for their picks. But Mollie is class which is more than can be said for so many of the nobodies that are threatening to turn a once stimulating forum in to a bore 'em.

Wasn't really sure if this is the best thread or not, but felt it didn't warrant its own thread.

They've just shown Don't Wait Up - Comedy Connections on BBC1, including interviews with Tony Britton & Dinah Sheridan.

Sheridan, who has not appeared on telly for yonks, and who I thought might be ill, seems as healthy as ever. I think she's about 86 now, but she looked a good 10-15 yrs younger. From having her high up as a potential pick, she's shot down the list now as I think she'll make 90.

Tony Britton, who must be, oh what nearly mid 80's now? Looked okay - I don't think he'll die within the next year or so - still seemed with it, looked robust enough. Probably won't make 90 but I think he will make 2008.

Anyone else see the programme and agree/disagree?

Wasn't really sure if this is the best thread or not, but felt it didn't warrant its own thread.

They've just shown Don't Wait Up - Comedy Connections on BBC1, including interviews with Tony Britton & Dinah Sheridan.

Sheridan, who has not appeared on telly for yonks, and who I thought might be ill, seems as healthy as ever. I think she's about 86 now, but she looked a good 10-15 yrs younger. From having her high up as a potential pick, she's shot down the list now as I think she'll make 90.

Tony Britton, who must be, oh what nearly mid 80's now? Looked okay - I don't think he'll die within the next year or so - still seemed with it, looked robust enough. Probably won't make 90 but I think he will make 2008.

Anyone else see the programme and agree/disagree?

I agree. Those two seem far too healthy for their years and I wouldn't lay any bets on either of them croaking for a good 5 years or so, unless they meet with a nasty traffic accident in the meantime.

I'm worried about what amounts to a news blackout on Mollie. This is an old feature, but nice. One tiny cameo role in Little Britain about three years ago and that's been it. Nothing. You get the impression that one day there will be an announcement - dead - with no fanfair or preamble. It shouldn't be like this. She's too much a part of our lives to simply fade away. Come back Mollie just for one more sitcom.

While we're on the topic, Frank Thornton is 87 today! Still working too, if I'm not mistaken?

My dad met him once....said he was really nice!

Happy Birthday Frank! :ghost:

I think we could see one or two sitcom deaths this year. I was tempted to go with Reg Varney in the DDP but didn't. There's still the Vicar in Dad's's Army and Bill Pertwee and now the Vicar of Dibley team is out of work one of them could be in the frame soon. There's also Hugh Lloyd and our very own Clive Dunn. Warren Mitchell had his 82nd birthday yesterday.

Agreed, Godot - as well as your fine examples;

Donald Sinden (Two's Company, Never the Twain) will be 85

Tony Britton (Don't Wait Up) will be 84, and his co-star Dinah Sheridan will be 88

Donald Hewlett (It Ain't Half Hot, Mum; Come Back Mrs Noah (alongside Molly)) will be 86

Terence Alexander (Terry and June as well as Bergerac) will be 85

Jack Douglas (various Carry On films) will be 81

And these took me a few minutes, so there must be many more out there. We could run a sweepstake!

I think we could see one or two sitcom deaths this year. I was tempted to go with Reg Varney in the DDP but didn't. There's still the Vicar in Dad's's Army and Bill Pertwee and now the Vicar of Dibley team is out of work one of them could be in the frame soon. There's also Hugh Lloyd and our very own Clive Dunn. Warren Mitchell had his 82nd birthday yesterday.

Gerald Sim, Eric Longworth, John Bluthal, Felix Bowness & Mollie Sugden would be my top tips.

Followed by Trevor Bannister, Bill Pertwee, the aforementioned Hewlett & Ronnie Corbett.

But these things are never simple or straightforward - who would've thought Anton Rodgers & Gareth Hunt would die before Peter Sallis?

While we're on the topic, Frank Thornton is 87 today! Still working too, if I'm not mistaken?

CP:

Off topic slightly...are you going to have a running list of people that have been discussed again?

CP:

Off topic slightly...are you going to have a running list of people that have been discussed again?

I might just add and subtract from the old one and ask some kindly mod to rename the title to correct the year. It seemed to be helpful in both DL and personal deadpooling selections, so I wouldn't mind keeping it up.

Gerald Sim, Eric Longworth, John Bluthal, Felix Bowness & Mollie Sugden would be my top tips.

Followed by Trevor Bannister, Bill Pertwee, the aforementioned Hewlett & Ronnie Corbett.

But these things are never simple or straightforward - who would've thought Anton Rodgers & Gareth Hunt would die before Peter Sallis?

Good call OoO

There have been ruminatings of what (if any) reaction there would be from aged co-stars of Wendy Richard & in particular Mrs Sugden...

Well, she's made a statement at least - found here and it will be interesting to see if she makes the funeral.

It was the lack of a statement from Stephen Lewis on both Reg Varney AND Kathy Staff's deaths which made me plump for him, as well as knowing he was ill....

But a statement means nothing sometimes doesn't it? Frankie Howerd & Benny Hill etc..

Saw Sugden on the Wendy Richard Tribute tonight... she looked very well I doubt she'll be going anywhere anytime soon...

Saw Sugden on the Wendy Richard Tribute tonight... she looked very well I doubt she'll be going anywhere anytime soon...

I think most of the actor contributions were from 'A Life On The Box' from 2001, so how Mollie is these days is anyone's guess. Saying that, she looked a hell of a lot better in those clips than in The Liverbirds comeback a few years earlier.

Was the sun out or something, seemed to me a one-upmanship on sunglasses. One shouldn't be afraid to cry nor being snapped by the paps crying. It probably would be good publicity for the a to z listers out today.

Nice basket. Impressed.

Dr Legg never ages, does he?

I thought Mr Fenton was dead. I used to see him occasionally in Battersea/Clapham while he was in Eastenders (although I never paid attention to that tosh).

He does look well for a gentleman of his years (83 next month).

I thought Mr Fenton was dead. I used to see him occasionally in Battersea/Clapham while he was in Eastenders (although I never paid attention to that tosh).

A la Christopher Lee

I have to say I thought he was dead too. I liked him both in Eastenders and also in "Shine On Harvey Moon"