Godot

Mollie Sugden et al

I bet her pussy is really haunted now she's dead.

Wall-to-wall reruns of Come Back Mrs Noah on Dave, then?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8129617.stm

Sad news. Best known for Are You Being Served.

Also remembered for Mrs White in Cluedo and for being in Little Britain as part of the "Mollie Sugden's bridesmaid" sketches.

Oh no, not Mollie, and the worst of it was I didn't have her.

First Wendy, now Mollie...could 2009 be the year of 'The Curse Of Grace Brothers'? :banghead:

On that note, how's Frank Thornton doing these days?

I wonder if P!NK is going to do a tribute to Mollie? (Who was obviously a big influence on the singer's coiffure.)

Mollie was bigger than Michael Jackson. I think BCAlum you will have to agree that Mollie Sugden was by far the most significant death of 2009, and she wasn't even Belgian.

Here's as good as any place to post that sitcom writer Vince Powell, who wrote "Never The Twain", "Bless This House" and lots of other programmes that I've never heard of, has expired at the age of 80.

Here's as good as any place to post that sitcom writer Vince Powell, who wrote "Never The Twain", "Bless This House" and lots of other programmes that I've never heard of, has expired at the age of 80.

He created the infamous Mind Your Language and Love Thy Neighbour. Which makes him a poor man's Johnny Speight, I suppose. Or a racist c unt.

He created the infamous Mind Your Language and Love Thy Neighbour. Which makes him a poor man's Johnny Speight, I suppose. Or a racist c unt.

Also wrote a sitcom starring Sid James and Victor Spinetti about a couple of city types who leave the rat race to run a farm. It wasn't a success, but paved the way for The Good Life later on in the 1970s...

It seems a lot of his comedies are based on differences, racial, religious, cultural. An interesting CV, abeit dominated by the two comedies you mentioned, Harry. I can remember 'Mind Your Language' quite well despite being only 4 when it originally finished in 1979...

Just saw Frank Thornton on Mollie Sugden Tribute earlier tonight. Doesn't look too bad for 88... I think he may well live into his 90s but you never know....

I see that Geoffrey Hughes who plays Twiggy has had prostate cancer.

Geoffrey Hughes is "gravely ill" after his cancer returns.

(Might not be the most relevant thread, but whatever...)

Michael Sharvell-Martin, whom some might remember as a supporting actor for Dave Allen and Benny Hill, died on October 28th aged 65...

Michael Sharvell-Martin, who some might remember as a supporting actor for Dave Allen and Benny Hill, died on October 28th aged 65...

I certainly remember him in Dave Allen's shows. I'm surprised to find he was only 65, but if Dave Allen was still alive he'd only be 73.

Michael Sharvell-Martin, who some might remember as a supporting actor for Dave Allen and Benny Hill, died on October 28th aged 65...

I certainly remember him in Dave Allen's shows. I'm surprised to find he was only 65, but if Dave Allen was still alive he'd only be 73.

I remember him from "There's no Place like Home" too. Didn't one of the cast members of that die young while on their honeymoon.

I remember him from "There's no Place like Home" too. Didn't one of the cast members of that die young while on their honeymoon.

Yes, Stephen Watson in 1986. What I can remember from that series is that it had a young Martin Clunes in it...

Yes, Stephen Watson in 1986. What I can remember from that series is that it had a young Martin Clunes in it...

Thought I might set this thread up so we can talk about those cosy sitcom stars that are no longer with us.

If Admin could do the honours and shift all that 'No Place Like Home' stuff from the Dead of 2010 to here, it would be very much appreciated :pop:

Edited by Lady Grendel
Done. But I had to move Michael Sharvell-Martin's death to here too and I'm not sure it is the appropriate place, but the posts make no sense without it. He's little enough known I hope for it not to matter

My claim to fame was serving him once in superdrug when I was a teenager. From memory he bought a pencil case with smarties over it.......not that myself or the pencil case had any direct contribution to his death!

Keith Barron is the kind of guy you half expect to find out has died suddenly of a heart attack and you go "Oh, wow, he's dead?" and then you never think of it again.

Either him or the block from that gold chains episode of "Only Fools and Horses" I always get him confused with.

I was recently trying to think of 80s (or older) sitcoms where everyone is still alive and was surprised that Howard and Hilda from Ever Decreasing Circles are both still with us, meaning all the main cast from that are still with us.

Keith Barron is the kind of guy you half expect to find out has died suddenly of a heart attack and you go "Oh, wow, he's dead?" and then you never think of it again.

Either him or the block from that gold chains episode of "Only Fools and Horses" I always get him confused with.

Keith Barron is an actor I've never had much time for. I thought it was because of the execrable Duty Free, but he was just the same in dictionary corner on Countdown.

I formed a similar opinion of Anton Rodgers mainly based on his performances in Fresh Fields and May to December.

I thought we already had a sitcom thread?

Anyway, Gerald Sim, John Nettleton, Dora Bryan, Stephen Lewis, Geoffrey Hughes, Penny Marshall, John Horsley, Hywel Bennett, Tony Booth and Bill Pertwee would be amongst the next.

But then every so often we have somelike Anton Rdogers or that chap from 2.4 children that just go *snap* like that...