maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Finished reading a book on Writing History. Not all that interesting and not much I didn't know already, but one interesting passage concerned the proper use of grammar in historical essays. It outlined several considerations but also noted that grammical conventions can be ignored in cases where it sounds awkward to write/speak "correctly." The example they used was Star Trek's "to boldy go where no man has been before," claiming that although it was technically incorrect, it would be much less inspiring to write it the grammatically correct way. Thus, he asserts that while grammatical considerations are essential and must be used frequentely, occassionaly it is acceptable to break the rules for stylistic/awkward purposes.

In other words, the exact same conclusion NAP and I came to in the grammar thread. Good to know that the folks of Deathlist are on par with the eggheads at Harvard. :P

Finished reading a book on Writing History. Not all that interesting and not much I didn't know already, but one interesting passage concerned the proper use of grammar in historical essays. It outlined several considerations but also noted that grammical conventions can be ignored in cases where it sounds awkward to write/speak "correctly." The example they used was Star Trek's "to boldy go where no man has been before," claiming that although it was technically incorrect, it would be much less inspiring to write it the grammatically correct way. Thus, he asserts that while grammatical considerations are essential and must be used frequentely, occassionaly it is acceptable to break the rules for stylistic/awkward purposes.

In other words, the exact same conclusion NAP and I came to in the grammar thread. Good to know that the folks of Deathlist are on par with the eggheads at Harvard. :P

I know that I am being tedious as I keep saying this........ but there is no book of English usage of which I am aware that condemns the split infinitive. Most state that it is perfectly acceptable and cannot understand where the objections originated. (Probably in some anally retentive prep school teacher).

Indeed, in sentences such as 'ice failed to completely melt', the meaning will change if you unsplit the infinitive. Also if 'to boldly go' is wrong why isn't 'I boldly go'. So the only way in which I'd disagree with the author is in his saying that the split infinitive is 'technically incorrect'. It isn't.

Currently tackling The God of Small Things.

It's imaginative, mystical, brave and truly awesome in places. Hugely impressed.

Currently tackling The God of Small Things.

It's imaginative, mystical, brave and truly awesome in places. Hugely impressed.

I was too. It's an excellent book.

I'm almost finished with The DaVinci Code now, and haven't been awe struck by it. The ideas behind it are very interesting, but the mysterious clues and the overall ' treasure hunt' storyline aren't that interesting or mysterious! Thanks for the recommendation BHB, it has been a good read, just not really good!

Anyway, I've come across a good ' swapping ' site. You just put in a list of books you have got and want to swap, then look through the extensive list of books available. All you pay is the postage to send your book. I've swapped a couple of times and it works for me. Here.

Finished "A Spectacle of Corruption" by David Liss in a mere two days over my vacation. It's an excellent work of historical political fiction set in 1700s England that sucks you in and doesn't let go. Conspiracy of Paper (his first novel) was good, but I didn't get really into it until about half-way through the book. This time he masters the art and it only takes the first few chapters to get you into "couldn't put it down" mode, which was surprising to me since most books I read tend to fall more into the "can't wait to put it down" category. :rip:

One problem is that the book has zero re-readibility value. Once you know the secrets behind all the mystery and intruige that befuddle the main character, I can't imagine being interested in the book again.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed - Jared Diamond. Apocalyptic weekend reading.

Have to agree with Mpfc and Six, God of Small Things is a fantastic book.

Currently re-reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith which I love and thoroughly recommend..

I just finished reading 'Barefoot Gen' by Keiji Nakazawa for the fourth time. It's a manga book about the weeks leading up to the atomic bomb being dropped on Hiroshima. The first time I read it, I cried at the end, but then again, I was only 12.

I am currently split between reading 'Samurai William' by Giles Wilson, less of a book, and more of a well written history of the first adventurers who discovered Japan, and the first (and really the only) Gaijin Samurai. A british explorer who was stranded in Japan, and when people came to rescue him, found he'd gone native. Wilson really makes it come alive, I'd recommend it, full of interesting facts, and very well written.

The other book I am reading is 'Call of the Cthulhu' by one of my favourite authors, H.P. Lovecraft. A collection of weird fiction stories, written well before their time, by Lovecraft back in the 1920's I believe.

The other book I am reading is 'Call of the Cthulhu' by one of my favourite authors, H.P. Lovecraft. A collection of weird fiction stories, written well before their time, by Lovecraft back in the 1920's I believe.

Went through "Waking Up Screaming" by Lovecraft some time ago. Excellent writing, although I've always though his vocabularly was a bit excessive, even for a pedant such as myself. :P

Cthulhu pops up on these forums every now and then. He is, of course, the patron overlord of Post-Whoring, so he and Mr. Hopkins are somewhat at ends... :)

Went through "Waking Up Screaming" by Lovecraft some time ago. Excellent writing, although I've always though his vocabularly was a bit excessive, even for a pedant such as myself. :)

From this anthology, some of his writings to me are rather fictional, I don't care for it all. From wikipedia this story written by him seems to be something I would read.

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward–Ward delves into the black arts and resurrects the darkest evil from beyond the grave.

..Waking Up Screaming. Very brillient name.

Slave to the Grave speaks the truth; God of Small Things stayed good to the very end.

Tackling Sarah Waters Fingersmith now, much simpler but well told story. I'll keep you posted, first 83 pages are alright.

Picked up Death and the Penguin today. I think it will appeal to many DLers. It's about a chap who's hired to write stock obits -- to be begin with he's fed up that none of his subjects die... until they *do* start dying and he starts to realise that all's not as it seems...

Cheers Alphonsin

A recommendation from a man of your discernment is to be taken seriously. Incidentally, I'm lovin' 'Fingersmith,' a glorious pastiche of 19th century novel plotting and twenty first century sensibilities.

Cheers Alphonsin

A recommendation from a man of your discernment is to be taken seriously. Incidentally, I'm lovin' 'Fingersmith,' a glorious pastiche of 19th century novel plotting and twenty first century sensibilities.

Hope you don't mind me pondering on this MPFC, given that Cumbria is the last place I would expect to find any nine bob notes, but your affection for Alphonsin is beginning to resemble that of a schoolgirl crush. You don't have a shiny Cox's Orange Pippin for him in your pocket by any chance? It's just that I'm a tad jealous. It's not as if he supports Carlisle United is it? Don't get in above your head. These city boys wouldn't know what to say to a horse in a chip shop but they're pretty street wise. It could all end in tears. Just you go steady now and listen to your old pal Godot.

Just finished a great book by conservative radio talk show host Mike Gallagher - called Surrounded by Idiots: Fighting Liberal Lunacy in America. One of the few books where I truly dreaded it ending, I hope he writes more books in the future.

I'm not sure I can stand such a book. I have little admiration for US liberals, but for a completely different reason. I think they're a bunch of right-wing idiots, hardly distiguishable from the current Republican idiots.

regards,

Hein

Godot

Yeah, I take yer point. I'm impressed with Alphonsin. Less a schoogirl crush - let's face it the Dr Death avatar is less than shaggable - and more appreciation of the combination of a thread of genuine argument in his posts and some substantial facts behind 'em. I'd liken it to Carlisle United signing former Premiershit striker Michael Bridges last season. I saw him punt home some exceptional goals, the twenty five yarder, placed to perfection away at Northampton, being the best. Once we'd established he really was that good the next conversations that broke out in the support were about how long he'd stay and how much he'd contribute. I'll declare myself inspired by the 'death science' of OoO, Rotten Ali and Alphonsin. I think they're adding summat we should seek to keep.

Godot

Yeah, I take yer point. I'm impressed with Alphonsin. Less a schoogirl crush - let's face it the Dr Death avatar is less than shaggable - and more appreciation of the combination of a thread of genuine argument in his posts and some substantial facts behind 'em. I'd liken it to Carlisle United signing former Premiershit striker Michael Bridges last season. I saw him punt home some exceptional goals, the twenty five yarder, placed to perfection away at Northampton, being the best. Once we'd established he really was that good the next conversations that broke out in the support were about how long he'd stay and how much he'd contribute. I'll declare myself inspired by the 'death science' of OoO, Rotten Ali and Alphonsin. I think they're adding summat we should seek to keep.

The thing is where to play 'em? I would have OoO as right back with Rotten Ali on the left in defence. You might make a decent sweeper yourself, not much seems to get past you. I'd put Star Crossed on the right with maybe NAP or MH on the left. Windsor could play at the back but he would get sent off a lot. TF would make a decent target man - good with his head but could he play alongside the stylish Bou? Slave and LG are reliable utility players who can do the business week in week out. Josco is highly entertaining with his little jinks but probably a luxury we can't afford. Banshee might go in goal while FF, well he's FF so he has to sit in the stands doesn't he? With a side like that Alphonsin might have to spend some time on the bench dontcha think?

Godot

The thing is where to play 'em? I would have OoO as right back with Rotten Ali on the left in defence. You might make a decent sweeper yourself, not much seems to get past you. I'd put Star Crossed on the right with maybe NAP or MH on the left. Windsor could play at the back but he would get sent off a lot. TF would make a decent target man - good with his head but could he play alongside the stylish Bou? Slave and LG are reliable utility players who can do the business week in week out. Josco is highly entertaining with his little jinks but probably a luxury we can't afford. Banshee might go in goal while FF, well he's FF so he has to sit in the stands doesn't he? With a side like that Alphonsin might have to spend some time on the bench dontcha think?

Don't I get to play?

Just to keep it on topic I'm reading about the Romanovs at the moment.

Sorry Handrejka, assumed you had three legs just as I assumed Lady Di would prefer polo. Really the squad is so large it's impossible to mention everyone. I didn't include myself because I was always the last to be picked at school. Note there was a token Yank - well that's how they treat Brits in their films. Apologies also for going off topic. I'm reading a book at the moment but it's sh*t.

Perhaps we could follow the lead of President Bush

Mr President, in an attempt to appear more intellectual, is letting slip at every opportunity that he is reading books. Big books, and lots of them. Apparently over sixty this year already.

His reading this year includes a bit of Shakespeare and Camus.

Hamlet, the one where the boy prince is haunted by his father; and L'étranger, the one where a European colonialist hunts down and kills an Arab and then awaits execution for his crime.

I prefered 'Birdsong', by Sebastian Faulks, if you can get past the slow start.

Getting back off topic, you can be in my team Handrejka. We probably wouldn't win the league, but an exciting cup run could be possible. :)

Perhaps we could follow the lead of President Bush

Mr President, in an attempt to appear more intellectual, is letting slip at every opportunity that he is reading books. Big books, and lots of them. Apparently over sixty this year already.

His reading this year includes a bit of Shakespeare and Camus.

Hamlet, the one where the boy prince is haunted by his father; and L'étranger, the one where a European colonialist hunts down and kills an Arab and then awaits execution for his crime.

I prefered 'Birdsong', by Sebastian Faulks, if you can get past the slow start.

Getting back off topic, you can be in my team Handrejka. We probably wouldn't win the league, but an exciting cup run could be possible. :)

That's a sh*t load of books. Still, I suppose his holidays are about 20 weeks long, so he may get through one or two of them.

I wonder if he has learned to read without moving his lips?

Started, and read the first half of, Chuck Palahnuick's Haunted last night. Pretty good, though I think Lullaby is better.

Anyhow, if you haven't read any CP, do give it a go -- he's really on that deathlist vibe (if that makes any sense at all...)

(Do I get a prize for second-most uninteresting post of the week?)

Bunker Man by Duncan McLean, a very dark novel.

As you can see from the reviews on Amazon, some people love it while others absolutely hate it.