maryportfuncity

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Steaming slowly through; 'On Becoming a Novelist' by John Gardner, supposedly a seminal work for aspiring fiction writers. Somewhat dated these days, good advice but many mentions of typewriters.

I've read ' We Need To Talk About Kevin ' and found it uncomfortable to read, due to it being so realistic. It is very well written and hits hard.

I've just finished 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', I enjoyed it but found the first half a bit tedious, I'm just starting 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell' by Susanna Clarke.

When i'm bored I may start reading a book called 'The Haunted' but then again all I need is the history channel. <_<

Normally I don't mind typos and misspellings much, but that one gets on my tits.

clapper9yr.gif Nicely used! clapper9yr.gif

It's one of the few things that drive me nuts, misspelling atheist.

Is it any wonder 'atheist' gets spelled wrong, what with it contradicting the whole "'i' after 'e' except after 'c'" rule? You atheists... always trying to be different, aren't you?

Enjoying A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson although I do wonder, am I the only one here to think he gets a bit up himself at times? I don't like to be told what is and what is not a big number.

Still he tackles a huge subject pretty well and there are one or two good deaths in the book including the bloke who put lead in petrol and who invented CFCs. He took ill and created a device to turn himself automatically in bed with strings and pulleys, then strangled himself in the thing by accident.

that's so unoriginal - it's stolen from a snub pollard silent movie!

anyway, currently part way through richard strange's autobiography. i remember some dim distant lit class where i was told that minor poets have the most interesting lives. certainly true of strange, who was nearly famous in the doctors of madness, then solo, and spent the rest of the last quarter century making neglected music and being a bit part actor, yet rubbing shoulder with tons of interesting people he wouldn't have encountered if the doctors had been - say - u2, and so took him into the closed environs of rock stardom.

it almost makes you glad to be a failure - at least you can try to claim an interesting life!

he's not a bad writer, either, which always helps.

... Is it any wonder 'atheist' gets spelled wrong, what with it contradicting the whole "'i' after 'e' except after 'c'" rule? You atheists... always trying to be different, aren't you?

I thought it was ' "i" before "e" except after "c" '? :)

... Is it any wonder 'atheist' gets spelled wrong, what with it contradicting the whole "'i' after 'e' except after 'c'" rule? You atheists... always trying to be different, aren't you?

I wouldn't know, I've never been taught that pseudo-rule, but wasn't there a third (if silent) clause to it about the pronunciation of the word? As far as I know atheist has three syllables, which makes proper spelling quite clear.

regards,

Hein

Whoops!! :lol:

Serves me right for trying to be a clever clogs... :P

What - like science?

What - like science?

That's a good point actually... what about 'seizure'?

Man! All of a sudden the rules that shaped me as a child are eroding away. :)

I've read two in the past week (well, I need something to do before the football comes on).

First up was Danny Wallace's 'Join Me', which is an account about the cult (it's not a cult, it's a collective) he started initially by placing an ad in Loot magazine simply saying Join Me and urging potential joinees to send him passport photos. It grew and grew and he's got a couple of thousand 'joinees' now. The book's about three years old now, but his collective's still going strong and there's a website, which I can't be arsed to post a link to. Anyway, it's a funny book and an amazing tale. I wonder if any DListers are also Joinees?

The second was 'Whispers of Betrayal' by Michael Dobbs which is about an ex-soldier with a grudge bringing London to a standstill and forcing the Prime Minister to his knees. Dobbs is an ex-ministerial type and his inside knowledge is very apparent and interesting (especially the Whip's little book in which he records all the minister's extra marital shagging!)

In the current light and especially after last July's atrocities it's certainly a book that makes you think and then think again.

I'd recommend both of them as light reads. Neither's particularly challenging, but they are fun in their own right. And, hey, fun is all I need 'til the football starts.

Next up from the 'to be read' pile is Frank Muir's autobiography 'A Kentish Lad', which promises to be an amusing read.

I'll let you know in due course.

I had to search all the way to page 5 before I found this thread!

Anyway, I've just finished reading ' The Fourth Bear' by Jasper Fforde, and wanted to let you all know that it's an extremely clever and funny book. I suggest that you all read it as soon as possible - and the rest of his work. It's all the work of a genius. Really.

"To The Ends Of The Earth", by William Golding. Don't bother - it was crap.

Just bought another autobiog. "First Lady" by April Ashley. She's in couple of my dead pools as she has ME and a heart condition

Next up from the 'to be read' pile is Frank Muir's autobiography 'A Kentish Lad', which promises to be an amusing read.

I'll let you know in due course.

Like anyone gives a flying crap, but a promise is a promise. It was a bloody good read and I was astounded by how much the man achieved during his life. I was also a little surprised to learn that Jimmy Edwards was gay- gives a whole new interpretation to 'Whack O!'

Anyway, The Da Vinci Code next- yeah, I know, but I'm always put off by stuff that everyone else likes- I like to be a bit individual. :rolleyes:

I'm halfway through it at the mo and, it pains me to say, it's a F*****g good read.

...Anyway, The Da Vinci Code next- yeah, I know, but I'm always put off by stuff that everyone else likes- I like to be a bit individual. :D

I'm halfway through it at the mo and, it pains me to say, it's a F*****g good read.

I've not wanted to read The Da Vinci Code because it has received so much high praise, and things that receive high praise from the general media are usually completely rubbish... but I am thinking of giving it a try now based on your opinion BHB. I am trusting your individualism here. :D:)

I've not wanted to read The Da Vinci Code because it has received so much high praise, and things that receive high praise from the general media are usually completely rubbish... but I am thinking of giving it a try now based on your opinion BHB. I am trusting your individualism here. :D:D

That's how I felt about Memoirs of a Geisha. I tend to shy away from any of the "must read" books, especially if TV talk-show hosts are involved in pronouncing them so. However, I received it as a gift for Christmas this year, and so I read it. A very compelling read (of the 'I-couldn't-put-it-down' variety). From what I understand, there is geisha (auto)biography available that is much more accurate in terms of what the life of a geisha was actually like, but as a piece of fiction Memoirs is excellent. Don't want to see the film though.

...Anyway, The Da Vinci Code next- yeah, I know, but I'm always put off by stuff that everyone else likes- I like to be a bit individual. :D

I've not wanted to read The Da Vinci Code because it has received so much high praise, and things that receive high praise from the general media are usually completely rubbish... but I am thinking of giving it a try now based on your opinion BHB. I am trusting your individualism here. :D:)

Why read the book when you can watch the film. Saves a few hours...

Anyhow, the most interesting book(let) I've read recently is the 1957 copy of 'The rules and regulations of the Kirkton of Fraserburgh'.

This death related read gives a fasinating insight to rules regarding burial in this time.

Forget the expression 'Six foot under', this book(let) is very specific in saying that graves (especially if its a double plot) should be dug to 8 feet. It also says that there should be 6 inches of soil between each casket burried in the plot. A coffin must be under at least 3 foot of soil to ground level.

Anyway, when I read this it reminded me of a Quirky news story I read last week.

There was a lady tending to the grave of her late uncle. She was planting flowers at the grave. She then took a step to the side to survey her work when suddenly the ground fell from beneath her. She ended up half buried in the grave next door. It was reported that there were three caskets piled one on top of the other and one or more of the caskets caved in.

The article didn't say if she was a bulky lady...

Edit: Here is the article.

Did a quick google search for pictures of Ms. Zuydendorp, but came up a blank.

Managed to find this picture of the hole she fell into though:

graf_84679h.jpg

Isn't it bad graveyard etiquette to go trampling around on other people's graves?

Could it be that she was dancing?

Did a quick google search for pictures of Ms. Zuydendorp, but came up a blank.

Managed to find this picture of the hole she fell into though:

graf_84679h.jpg

Isn't it bad graveyard etiquette to go trampling around on other people's graves?

Could it be that she was dancing?

Capelle aan den IJssel is a 'burb of my home town. I used to live close to that bone mine.

And yes, even in this weird country you're not supposed to walk on graves. There are some exceptions, such as the graves in a few churches here. Fortunately those graves are covered with sturdy slabs of granite.

regards,

Hein

...Anyway, The Da Vinci Code next- yeah, I know, but I'm always put off by stuff that everyone else likes- I like to be a bit individual. <_<

I've not wanted to read The Da Vinci Code because it has received so much high praise, and things that receive high praise from the general media are usually completely rubbish... but I am thinking of giving it a try now based on your opinion BHB. I am trusting your individualism here. <_<:lol:

Six, give it a go! Finished it yesterday afternoon out in the garden and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very good book with some nice twists, although I wouldn't say it was the masterpiece that all these media types claimed it to be- not a patch on a decent King for example.

Talking of whom I was considering dusting off all his tomes on my shelves and re-reading them from the beginning, starting with Carrie, but I have now put off this plan as I noticed, when planning my King marathon this morning, that my copy of The Stand is missing.

I am currently interrogating the family one by one, even baby BHB, but so far she has not uttered a word. She must be aware of her right to remain silent.

Tonight I plan to do the old trick of leaving the lights off, turning my back and urging the guilty person to place the book on the coffee table for when the light is turned back on- with guaranteed anonymity.

However, if this doesn't work, tomorrow I shall be going all 'Sayid' on their asses. There'll be torturous screams in BHB Towers come morning...

<effects Vincent Price-like evil laugh>

Have just started reading The Ascent of Rum Doodle. Looks like it might be a good holiday read.

I recently finished 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts. Excellent read for the whole family, provided the whole family is over eighteen. It's over 900 pages, don't be put off.