Godot

A Famous Belgian

Guest Guest

I like this new topic. How about San Marino? Or would the ruler get an obit as it is the oldest republic in the world.

And isn't David Bowie's wife from Somalia or am I getting mixed up. Oh and I'm really embarrassed to know this but Maisie William's from Boney M was born in Montserrat (dies from shmae)

David Bowie's wife Iman is indeed Somalian. An argument could be made that due to the current political instability the Somali President or PM could be a DL candidate. But as I can't name either I'd go along with Treble O's list of fameless nations.

Iman was born in Somalia but is now a naturalised American, so she wouldn't count.

http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com/models/Iman_Abudulmajid

I noticed you left Kazakhstan off your list OoO.

As sad as it might be though, I don't quite think Borat would get his own obituary if he were to pop off. :)

Here's a list of people by nationality for you kids to have fun with.

Edited by Canadian Paul

which country has no people whose death would merit a UK media article/obit,

That is indeed the question Cowboy Ronnie. If we consider rulers, ex-rulers and the most famous residents of unlikely places it may indeed be the case that every territory on earth could muster a DL candidate if s/he were known to have a terminal illness. The one possible exception being the Antartic, a few famous residents over the years, all of them credited or likely to be credited to somewhere else in the end. Unless we count the penguins that starred in that movie.

I like this new topic. How about San Marino? Or would the ruler get an obit as it is the oldest republic in the world.

And isn't David Bowie's wife from Somalia or am I getting mixed up. Oh and I'm really embarrassed to know this but Maisie William's from Boney M was born in Montserrat (dies from shmae)

David Bowie's wife Iman is indeed Somalian. An argument could be made that due to the current political instability the Somali President or PM could be a DL candidate. But as I can't name either I'd go along with Treble O's list of fameless nations.

Somalia doesn't have a proper government, at least not one resident in the country.

Iman was born in Somalia but is now a naturalised American, so she wouldn't count.

The US permits naturalised citizens to retain the nationality and passport of their birth nations, but they must agree to be US citizens. I'd say there's a decent argument therefore that Iman remains more Somali than American, which presumably she became for work/travel reasons.

The US permits naturalised citizens to retain the nationality and passport of their birth nations, but they must agree to be US citizens. I'd say there's a decent argument therefore that Iman remains more Somali than American, which presumably she became for work/travel reasons.

But as there is no Somali government to issue passports, it would be impossible for her to use this citizenship.

The Wiki page on Somalia makes interesting reading especially the bit on the economy, here's a quote;

In 1989, before the collapse of the government, the national airline had only one airplane. Now there are approximately 15 airlines, over 60 aircraft, 6 international destinations, and more domestic routes. According to a World Bank report, the "private airline business in Somalia is now thriving with more than five carriers and price wars between the companies." The owner of Daallo Airlines says, "Sometimes it's difficult without a government and sometimes it's a plus," but "Corruption is not a problem, because there is no government.

The free market finds its way.

Oh and Bobby Farrell (also of Boney M fame) is from Aruba

And I'm sure would get a UK obit.

Also from Aruba is Dave Benton, 2001 Eurovision winner (representing Estonia along with Tanal Padar) so would probably get a mention somewhere. Also, trivia fans, the first black person to win Eurovision.

I noticed you left Kazakhstan off your list OoO.

As sad as it might be though, I don't quite think Borat would get his own obituary if he were to pop off. :)

Borat was who I was thinking off in a way though. He's upset the President so much that when the President, Nazarbayev, of that ilk, dies of a heart-attack, enraged by more Borat-like stuff, Nazarbayev's bound to get an obituary.

Although, Nazarbayev would probably get one anyway, particulary when it comes to his dictatorship leadership.

Have just come across Christian de Duve, a Nobel lauriate and a Belgian and (since he was born in 1917) a reasonable Deathlist candidate perhaps.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicin...ve-autobio.html

He's been a bit tardy with his blog entries of late so maybe he's not long for this world.

II would of wasorn I just reaad that somewheree welse in aniother foruim ... has domeone ontified the person whoo starttie thisa thereadsince he has athug abiurt belGianas.

II would of wasorn I just reaad that somewheree welse in aniother foruim ... has domeone ontified the person whoo starttie thisa thereadsince he has athug abiurt belGianas.

Unfortunately there is more likeylihood of someone predicting that Julie Andrews will choke to death in a remake of Deep Throat than of anyone picking a 38-year-old Belgian film-maker with no prior indication of anything amiss. It still doesn't resolve the question of whether any famous Belgian is suitable to make the Deathlist.

I think we kind of resolved that question. First off there are a few - Jacky Ickx for example - who are certainly famous enough in their own right.

Second off, there was a thought above that heads of state or other notables, even of the smallest countries, could make the DL so it seems possible that almost any country on earth could - in the right circumstances - field a candidate. I've got a Luxembourger on my WDP, and I can't even spell Luxembourger.

Put it this way, if, late in December, we discovered that the head of state of - say - Easter Island or Greenland - had inoperable lung cancer we could give them the cherished number 1 place with which we honoured Lou Rawles.

Sorry MPFC I meant famous Belgian to merit inclusion in a specific year, like next. I don't think Ickx is ready for the Styx just yet.

I lay with a gaunt looking shovel next to me and pressed the still working buttons of the remote and dashed from channel to channel isn't that correct Mr. Radolinski you twisted man who forced the boys to swim laps in the pool speaking of which is Maskarinetz still in Maine or did Johnny leave for the forest ranger job he had once sought?

Okay so back to the essence of what this post is for....

Has the wonderful bowler Gery Verbruggen been given thought? Seeing as how he is a Belgian (and a sexy one at that) and that he is in a dangerous field of work I wondered what the possibles might be. Not sure as to his age, I have looked at various sites including a cursory cursing curse-ed look towards bowlersjournal but found no mention of his age.

So,how about Verbruggen ?

Day now and yesterday was yet a memory.

Today, several dutch newspapers mention a health scare for Toots Thielemans (84). Because of his frail health, he's unable to complete his tour through the Netherlands. 'For the first time in his career, his doctor prescribed him rest for the rest of the year,' according to the Bimhuis, a jazz-podium in Amsterdam where Thielemans was supposed to perform this evening.

Can't find an english site yet to confirm the news, but I read it in this paper, and the Bimhuis is mentioning it here.

Today, several dutch newspapers mention a health scare for Toots Thielemans (84). Because of his frail health, he's unable to complete his tour through the Netherlands. 'For the first time in his career, his doctor prescribed him rest for the rest of the year,' according to the Bimhuis, a jazz-podium in Amsterdam where Thielemans was supposed to perform this evening.

Can't find an english site yet to confirm the news, but I read it in this paper, and the Bimhuis is mentioning it here.

Hang on in there Toots, I want you for next year.

Hang on in there Toots, I want you for next year.

You sure it's not just a desire to sing

Toots toots tootsie goodbye

....or should that be gooddie?

Now back to Verbruggen....

I ate me somme elgian chocoatlatee just thwe ohther day

Oh criminy I justyt raleixzed therew was an arrow on the bottle.

Day not atall andw the gin ios stilll clear.

Health scare or not Toots Thielemans was looking pretty happy in July in spite of his trophy

Health scare or not Toots Thielemans was looking pretty happy in July in spite of his trophy

That article reminds me of this:

zinnekeae7.jpg

Jean Thielemans (left)

dolfbrouwersit8.jpg

Dolf Brouwers, a now dead Dutch singer and comedian.

Separated at birth?

regards,

Hein

'Opposite Twinned 'Strange'rs'

Is it he that you idolize?

But you don't look alike

Your just like a well aging

Double of Dick Van Dyke?

Your glasses are dark

His glasses are light

Your really strange

And so is he

Well you both wear uniforms

That cost alot of cash

You smile as he frowns

But ever present is the mustache

And you seem pale

But he is white like chalk

You both don't have a dentist

So draw me a conclution?

You don't have eye brows

His eyes are always closed

You both speak with old english

And your both big nosed

I noticed a resemblance

But you are not related?

Of course he don't have bronze

Trophys sitting on his shelf

'Opposite Twinned 'Strange'rs'

Is it Dick Van Dyke?

Your glasses are glasses

And so is he

Well you wear uniforms

That frown

But ever present is the moustache

And you is white like chalk

You both don't have a dentist

So draw me a conclution? (oh woe is I forsooth, I meantest contusion)

You don't have eye brows

His eyes are always closed

You big nosed bronze

Trophy sitting on his shelf

Craig Perkins! I knew UIt!@ Low leverll poet if eweffer there was one. Gett thee to a meeting g Grerg/Craig!

I see that Toots Thielemans is playing in a concert on the 18th of this month in the Zuiderkroon in Antwerp. Anyone going? There might be some health news in the reviews.

Words I've just posted on The Dead, thread. Whaddya reckon?

I wonder, if we exclude famous incomers buying homes on Britain's islands, how many of those said islands have a native famous enough for the DL? I mean, Evelyn Glennie is from Islay so some definitely count but......could a native Manx person, other than Handrejka, make the DL?