Sign in to follow this  
Dr Hackenslash

Death List Had Made It.

Looks like I'm getting totally ignored on Wikipedia. My powers of compromise work better in person and on student council evidentely. ;)

Looks like I'm getting totally ignored on Wikipedia. My powers of compromise work better in person and on student council evidentely. ;)

Sorry CP - have become incensed!

Sorry CP - have become incensed!

As a dislexick that was the best game our family ever played.

After several days of relative calm, it would appear that peace has befallen the shores of the Wiki World.

In an exclusive interview, RMHED (protagonist extraordinaire) informed this correspondent: "I just can't be bloody bothered anymore", electing instead to be The Bigger Man. Thus, via the manifold shapes through which the DeathList entry has progressed, has emerged the DL entry in its (currently) final version:

Dead pool

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A dead pool, or deathpool is a game of prediction which involves guessing when someone will die. Sometimes it is a bet where money is involved. The combination of dead or death and betting-pool, refers to such a gambling arrangement. A typical modern dead pool might have players pick out celebrities who they think will die within the year. There are several scoring variants. For example, a player might be rewarded few, if any, points for predicting the death of someone who is over 80 years old or is suffering from a terminal disease. Other pools require participants to form a list ranked on how sure they are that a person on the list will die, with points given based on how high a person on their list is ranked, and others award points based on how many other contestants selected the deceased celebrity.

One example of the concept is a series of segments on the Howard Stern Radio Show, where show regulars would place bets into a celebrity death pool, each trying to predict the next celebrity to pass on. The practice has been expanded to include wagering on such abstract entities as businesses.

Definitions of celebrity vary from contest to contest. Smaller pools may rely on consensus of the players as to who is famous. Others require an obituary to appear in a recognized newswire such as the Associated Press or Reuters. The Lee Atwater Invitational employs a Fame Committee consisting of non-contestants who assess ahead of time the name-recognition of each celebrity. The Rotten.com Dead Pool, the largest in the world, uses NNDB as its source of qualified celebrities, and as arbiter of their life status.

In most pools, killing the celebrity in question is considered cheating and results in the killer's immediate disqualification from the pool. Such a dead pool was a depicted in the aptly-titled Clint Eastwood movie, The Dead Pool.

Death List is unlike a traditional dead pool as there are no competitors involved and no points are awarded. The names on the list are chosen by a committee, members of Death List then track the well-being of the chosen celebrities over the course of the year. The Death List was first conceived in a student bar on November 29th 1986, the inspiration being the death of Cary Grant earlier the same day. The list's aim is to predict which people in the public eye will die in the following year. Ever since 1987, a list has been drawn up, but starting in 1994 the Death List has consisted of 50 prominent people chosen annually by the committee, who might merit a prominent obituary in the UK media -- ranging from politicans, religious figures and show business stars.

Unconfirmed sources suggest that our hero, who shall remain unidentified as he prefers to operate under the Potteresque cloak of anonymity, is currently taking a well-deserved camping holiday in Skegness. Antihero Qualtoo's whereabouts are unknown.

In other news, there have been reported sightings of a spotty-faced adolescent spraypainting DeathList Sux! on several historical monuments. Investigations are ongoing.

In other news, there have been reported sightings of a spotty-faced adolescent spraypainting DeathList Sux! on several historical monuments. Investigations are ongoing.

Uh oh!! Better watch out ie+!!! He's a level 69 Necromancer with +30 resistance to fire and a cloak of invisibility...

The latest from Wiki, toned down a lot but - arguably - some of the most succinct, sensible and informative stuff out there on the subject.

So, what have you been doing with your spare time lately ie?

Oooh! Should we - mebbe - start a thread on the long-term health of the Wikipedia?

:rolleyes: Wasn't me!

I believe Qualtoo's whereabouts remain unknown, however...

:sicktherm: Wasn't me!

I believe Qualtoo's whereabouts remain unknown, however...

He's still around, refusing to believe that Lawrence K. White died over a year ago, despite all the evidence.

If you're wondering, I came across this while looking for MH's "Death in the Family" thread. Couldn't find it. Not looking for it myself, although I suppose my Grandma did die about two months ago, so it is sort of relevant, but more for To Die For, who had some news.