VSBfromH

Disc Jockeys

4 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I have a very bad feeling that it may not have been a natural death so to speak. I hope I'm wrong but a friend of mine who knew of Steve told me a good few years ago of his long battle with depression, which doesn't mean anything of course but it was the wording of the article that stated that paramedics were called to 'an incident' where they found him dead at home after sending numerous 'resources' out. I hope for his sake that it wasn't and was as peaceful as possible as he was a legendary and innovative broadcaster. Apparently a really nice person in real life too, RIP Steve :(

Don’t think he would have taken his own life if he was the sole care-giver for his elderly father. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I have a very bad feeling that it may not have been a natural death so to speak. I hope I'm wrong but a friend of mine who knew of Steve told me a good few years ago of his long battle with depression, which doesn't mean anything of course but it was the wording of the article that stated that paramedics were called to 'an incident' where they found him dead at home after sending numerous 'resources' out. I hope for his sake that it wasn't and was as peaceful as possible as he was a legendary and innovative broadcaster. Apparently a really nice person in real life too, RIP Steve :(

The ever-right Sun are reporting broken heart following a "BBC axe" clearly the coroner will concur completely, or summat.

_132655004_thesun-nc.png.webp

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

The ever-right Sun are reporting broken heart following a "BBC axe" clearly the coroner will concur completely, or summat.

I wonder why he didn’t move to another station when his afternoon show was axed. Would have bee takers. 

I don't think anybody has the right to continue in a job indefinitely, however much they enjoy it

7 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

I think the BBC were keeping him onside. He had Sunday Love Songs  and they had bunged him Pick of the Pops despite Gambacini clearly being a better fit for it. If he did have health issues then was he up to doing a three hour show five days a week. Has there ever been an article in which he himself expressed regret at the decision.

By the way Scott Mills is doing a great job

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

By the way Scott Mills is doing a great job

I love Mills, but I do miss the silliness from his old R1 show whenever I listen to him on R2.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

I don't think anybody has the right to continue in a job indefinitely, however much they enjoy it

I'm assuming your confidence to say that betrays the fact you live in a western democracy!

220px-%D0%92%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, TQR said:

I love Mills, but I do miss the silliness from his old R1 show whenever I listen to him on R2.

I stopped listening to Radio 1 when Chris Evans took over the breakfast show so I had no idea what Scott Mills was like there apart from the occasional Top 40 countdown. He has settled into R2 quite naturally.

I suspect the people who push these how awful BBC is stories are the usual suspects who hate the whole concept of the BBC. It seems a little tasteless to use a celebrities death to promote their narrow little world view

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I stopped listening to Radio 1 when Chris Evans took over the breakfast show so I had no idea what Scott Mills was like there apart from the occasional Top 40 countdown. He has settled into R2 quite naturally.

I suspect the people who push these how awful BBC is stories are the usual suspects who hate the whole concept of the BBC. It seems a little tasteless to use a celebrities death to promote their narrow little world view

Specifically the usual non-dom billionaire suspects who abhor the whole notion of public service broadcasting and use the British newspapers they own to make that point. 

Didn't notice the Guardian going apeshit over the Beeb's treatment of Steve Wright

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'm assuming your confidence to say that betrays the fact you live in a western democracy!

220px-%D0%92%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%

Is he going to present Sunday Love Songs now?

3 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Is he going to present Sunday Love Songs now?

Yeah, wall to wall marching music

Or maybe - Dear Vlad, please play a song for me and my dildo which has been my constant companion since my husband Sergai got burned to a crisp when the Ukranian army torched his tank!

14 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It all feels like one of those things that could escalate and suddenly the Director General is resigning over it.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

On 14/02/2024 at 08:25, TQR said:

Serious dyin’, no g.

36 minutes ago, SovietJohnny said:

Serious Dyin’

Serious Clivin’ :clivedunn:

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Serious Clivin’ :clivedunn:

Serious apologisin for serious plagiarisin xx

• Haha 1

Gary Davies announced as it

Interim host of Pick of the Pops

No complaints here

• Like 3

On his afternoon show Wright was always banging on about his latest diet - how he'd quit carbs, given up drinking etc etc - doesn't seem to have done him much good, or perhaps he got back into bad habits after his show was cancelled ... anyway, I thought this was a nice moment - from the end of Vernon Kay's show the other day 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0hc1zly/radio-2s-piano-room-piano-room-month-2024-steve-wright-tribute

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

On his afternoon show Wright was always banging on about his latest diet - how he'd quit carbs, given up drinking etc etc - doesn't seem to have done him much good, or perhaps he got back into bad habits after his show was cancelled ... anyway, I thought this was a nice moment - from the end of Vernon Kay's show the other day 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0hc1zly/radio-2s-piano-room-piano-room-month-2024-steve-wright-tribute

Vernon Kay is doing his best to kill off Radio 2’s audiences.

49 minutes ago, Kenny said:

Vernon Kay is doing his best to kill off Radio 2’s audiences.

I agree. He has all the personality of a wet fart. 

• Like 1

Tough listening to Pick of the Pops yesterday with Gary Davies nearly cracking during the introductory part. Old Radio 1 mates and obviously good friends. 

But - Gary is the right fit for the show, unlike Steve. The chart rundown on both occasions were spot on (with Steve it was always a fear he'd run out of music bed!) 

On 16/02/2024 at 19:42, Paul Bearer said:

I agree. He has all the personality of a wet fart. 

He's OK. It's just very bland. 

On 15/02/2024 at 14:34, Youth in Asia said:

Tell that to Joe Biden and his campaign team! 

• Facepalm 1

Broadcaster Keith Martin reportedly dead aged 89: 

Pirate radio to continuity announcer to John Major's voice coach. Quite the career. 

• Like 2