VSBfromH

Disc Jockeys

31 minutes ago, SovietJohnny said:

Or suicide

Unlikely IMHO

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Unlikely IMHO

Totally agree….but just adding to the list of reasons for “here today, gone tomorrow” demises. Clearly not a car crash.

Never listened to him. I can't stand that type of programme where the DJ is a self-styled "character" with lots of tedious gimmicks taking precedence over the music.

My ideal show is just music, no talking except to tell us briefly the artist and title of the track we've just heard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Never listened to him. I can't stand that type of programme where the DJ is a self-styled "character" with lots of tedious gimmicks taking precedence over the music.

My ideal show is just music, no talking except to tell us briefly the artist and title of the track we've just heard.

Aye, me too as a rule, but I liked Ask Elvis: 

Just now, Toast said:

He totally trashed Pick of The Pops by talking over songs or cutting them out early to fit in more of his meaningless drivel. 
As someone has already said, hopefully we’ll get Gambacini back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Didn't he coin the word Factoid?

Nope. Norman Mailer did.

• Facepalm 1

Gambaccini, who was close friends with Wright, has written a long tribute to him in The Telegraph here.

"
I last spoke to him on Saturday. I had no idea that he was unwell. He mentioned to me that he’d had doctors’ appointments but that doesn’t transfer to being fatally ill so I was completely surprised, as well as saddened, by this devastating news."

telemmglpict000366386006_17078.jpg.9a67e7c349b57fd0b187fd5dae8c6e25.jpg
Gambaccini pictured above in 1980 with Steve Wright and Annie Nightingale. Eep. He better watch out...

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Wright's also received a fairly long package on the US BBC News feed, which is fairly interesting because otherwise he would likely receive almost no coverage here.

8 hours ago, SovietJohnny said:

He totally trashed Pick of The Pops by talking over songs or cutting them out early to fit in more of his meaningless drivel. 
As someone has already said, hopefully we’ll get Gambacini back.

It was always an odd fit Wright and Pick of the Pops - he never mastered the chart rundown before the number 1 - one week the jingle was just about out of time and he wasn't on the top 3 announcement. Gambo and Blackburn even Dale Winton had the run down off to a tee. 

I hope they don't axe it as its part of my pre football warm up. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SovietJohnny said:

Or suicide

Highly unlikely, he was undergoing treatment for medical conditions but was still working right up to his death, I stand by sudden heart attack or stroke, highly unlikely to be cancer as he would not have been fit enough to present his show on Sunday

Sadly most likely it is covid vaccine related, it is well known for damaging the heart and causing myocarditis, a hidden condition that suddenly brings on heart attacks, 3 of my facebook contacts have died this year aged 35, 46, 54, unheard of so many dying young till last couple of years, this is just the beginning

• Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 18

Serious dyin’, no g.

Genuinely quite shocked by this one. Last time I heard his ‘In The Afternoon’ show it was all sounding a little careworn but he was an innovator on the radio and most people he interviewed or worked with were in awe of the man. Loved the show, Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, BonScott said:

covid vaccine related .....blah blah blah conspiracy theory blah blah blah

There's another user hereabouts who would just love to have your support in this matter and perhaps the chance to share the facepalms the rest of us dole out regarding it.

Mind I've not been on a lot for some of that time so maybe you guys are already corresponding.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BonScott said:

Highly unlikely, he was undergoing treatment for medical conditions but was still working right up to his death, I stand by sudden heart attack or stroke, highly unlikely to be cancer as he would not have been fit enough to present his show on Sunday

Sadly most likely it is covid vaccine related, it is well known for damaging the heart and causing myocarditis, a hidden condition that suddenly brings on heart attacks, 3 of my facebook contacts have died this year aged 35, 46, 54, unheard of so many dying young till last couple of years, this is just the beginning

When you’re literally the size of a house at age 69 I don’t think there’s room for conspiracy theories about vaccines.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

When you’re literally the size of a house at age 69 I don’t think there’s room for conspiracy theories about vaccines.

All in all, he did well to get to 69 at his size without dying of cancer or more obvious major health issues. The fact his father is still alive suggests he probably had decent genes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

All in all, he did well to get to 69 at his size without dying of cancer or more obvious major health issues. The fact his father is still alive suggests he probably had decent genes. 

I’m quite interested to know how old this father is. Anyone know? 

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’m quite interested to know how old this father is. Anyone know? 

Gambo was quoted as saying this "The reason why he never complained during this two-year period is because he was the main carer for his dad, who is seriously ill and whom he would visit at least once a week. That took precedence over everything."

6 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Gambo was quoted as saying this "The reason why he never complained during this two-year period is because he was the main carer for his dad, who is seriously ill and whom he would visit at least once a week. That took precedence over everything."

His father is Richard J. Wright. His mother’s surname was Saunders.

Using their marriage details and working backwards, there are a number of people born “Richard J Wright” in London. Most between 1922 and 1926. So I reckon his dad must be in his late 90s (or even older).

7 hours ago, BonScott said:

All sudden deaths in young and middle age I knew and remember were pre-pandemic. 

There's really no increase in deaths, even according to statewide statistics.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, BonScott said:

Sadly most likely it is covid vaccine related, it is well known for damaging the heart and causing myocarditis, a hidden condition that suddenly brings on heart attacks,

You are far far more likely to get myocarditis as a result of having had COVID, than from having the vaccine. Getting COVID can mess up your body in many ways. Just ask Derek Draper. Blaming it on vaccines is idiotic.

• Like 2

I refuse to blame it on the sunshine.

I will not blame it on the moonlight.

It can't possibly be the good times.

Boogie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deathrace said:

The reason why he never complained during this two-year period is because he was the main carer for his dad, who is seriously ill and whom he would visit at least once a week.

Going by that, I'm surprised his dad's still alive.

• Haha 2

I have a very bad feeling that it may not have been a natural death so to speak. I hope I'm wrong but a friend of mine who knew of Steve told me a good few years ago of his long battle with depression, which doesn't mean anything of course but it was the wording of the article that stated that paramedics were called to 'an incident' where they found him dead at home after sending numerous 'resources' out. I hope for his sake that it wasn't and was as peaceful as possible as he was a legendary and innovative broadcaster. Apparently a really nice person in real life too, RIP Steve :(

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Steve Wright in the mourning

The 1994 Matthew Bannister era.

Wasn't the best breakfast show. 

• Like 1