2 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

As someone raised in an area which is affluent where old and new money lives, but who have parents/relatives who used to live in Croydon and working class. This is what i've been taught.

Breakfast - First meal of the day to set you up. Could be anything from toast, full English or cereal etc

Elevenses - Morning snack or tea (drink) if feeling peckish.

Lunch - Small from 12-2pm roughly where usually have a sandwich or something light

Tea - Light snack or a break for...well tea and biscuits. Similar to elevenses.

Dinner - Last meal of the day anytime from 5pm to 8pm (later if going out to eat).

The general consensus of my extremely northern family, based on this, would be that you're a posh toff who probably has six offshore bank accounts and murders frail grandmothers for fun.

9 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

The general consensus of my extremely northern family, based on this, would be that you're a posh toff who probably has six offshore bank accounts and murders frail grandmothers for fun.

I wish. I'm an NHS worker waiting for a pay rise, who wants to murder the NHS managers because they are all useless. The CEO of our trust just fucked off to work and live in Dubai.

• Love 1

Just now, ladyfiona said:

I wish. I'm an NHS worker waiting for a pay rise, who wants to murder the NHS managers because they are all useless. The CEO of our trust just fucked off to work and live in Dubai.

For the avoidance of doubt, my commentary was intended to be satirical. I am onboard with your suggestion to dispose of the NHS managers, having seen an acquaintance be forced to quit his job and be pushed far in to depression almost entirely because the managers at his unit were completely inept and would throw him under the bus at every opportunity.

As a kid in a working-class Birmingham household, we had breakfast, dinner, and tea. 

'Elevenses' were only something we heard about via TV (Black & White, obviously), and only in reference to the middle-class. 'Supper' was a Northern thing; I never met anyone who had supper until I moved to Yorkshire, and it was the evening meal (as opposed to 'tea'). 'Lunch' was what posh people (or pseudo-posh) people had instead of 'dinner' (confusing things further by having dinner at tea-time).

As an adult having lived in various places but now in the south, I have breakfast, lunch,, and tea (unless having an evening meal out in a proper restaurant, in which case it's breakfast, lunch, and dinner).

16 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

For the avoidance of doubt, my commentary was intended to be satirical. I am onboard with your suggestion to dispose of the NHS managers, having seen an acquaintance be forced to quit his job and be pushed far in to depression almost entirely because the managers at his unit were completely inept and would throw him under the bus at every opportunity.

Oh I know. I just have dry humour as well. Autism doesn't help. It's why I put a lol at the end to show it's in good humour...lol.

Our trust doesn't believe in people being made redundant, they just reshuffle everyone about and try to send you to a hospital you can't get to because of no car, lol. Thankfully i'm a member of Unison and now i'm still 5 minutes from home but in outpatients main desk.

The middle meal is lunch, not dinner, because if you're late for breakfast, 'Brunch' is a more appetising sounding portmanteau than 'Binner'.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TQR said:

The middle meal is lunch, not dinner, because if you're late for breakfast, 'Brunch' is a more appetising sounding portmanteau than 'Binner'.

No working class family ever had brunch. Also, neither Breakfast & Brunch or Brunch & Lunch are not mutually exclusive.

4 minutes ago, time said:

No working class family ever had brunch. Also, neither Breakfast & Brunch or Brunch & Lunch are not mutually exclusive.

If you think 'working class family' and 'brunch' are mutually exclusive, you'll have to define 'working class family' please.

The real question is what is the difference between a living room and lounge.

5 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

My parents had both.

Living room for dinner, tv etc. Lounge for best, guests, more tea, vicar?

9 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Your living room is at home, lounges are at airports.

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner/Supper

Brunch is an Americanism - dismiss out of hand

Tea is a drink

Living room in your house

Lounge in the pub or airport

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Surely it would be brinner?

23 minutes ago, TQR said:

If you think 'working class family' and 'brunch' are mutually exclusive, you'll have to define 'working class family' please.

I never said working-class and brunch are mutually exclusive, just that brunch never existed in the world I grew up in. (I'll also concede 'working-class' is very difficult to define in this day and age, whereas when I was a kid, it was more-or-less self-explanatory).