This thread always makes me think of this television show for some odd reason.

Is there not a US version of this?

Never knew this:

Bizarrely, Orwell's own inspiration for Room 101 lies back at the door of the BBC, as it was the office number of a senior BBC programme editor who often rejected or edited Orwell's work. Orwell took revenge by making the editor's room a fictional place of great horror and evil.

This thread always makes me think of this television show for some odd reason.

Is there not a US version of this?

Never knew this:

Bizarrely, Orwell's own inspiration for Room 101 lies back at the door of the BBC, as it was the office number of a senior BBC programme editor who often rejected or edited Orwell's work. Orwell took revenge by making the editor's room a fictional place of great horror and evil.

An idea that was faithfully adapted into 'dinnerladies'... except all traces of humour were completely removed first. ;)

Quite literally. ;)

Metrosexuals. Cry like somebody killed your mother in the middle of a movie.

I just don't understand it.

Betting Odds.. why do they use '100/30' - why not use 10/3? does my head in...

I just don't understand it.

Don't care for the taste of your own medicine , eh Banshees Scream?

I love the term, amongst the 'other terms' section- "Beckham, the virus."

I don't have a lot of time for the coiffured ponce, but likening him to a virus strikes me as a tad strong.

Although, perhaps his wife's caught it & that accounts for why she's so thin....

Betting Odds.. why do they use '100/30' - why not use 10/3? does my head in...
Because you couldn't further confuse 10/3 by using the cockney rhyming slang 'Burlington Bertie' and that just won't do. :(

Most other countries just use metric betting so everything is x-1, which makes them instantly comparable i.e. you know instantly that 7.2-1 is more of an outsider than 6.8-1. Not only do we avoid decimals or fractions in the numerator, we also use various demoninations (1, 2, 4, 8 & 30) and we only use certain specific numbers too. You never get 19-1, 32-1, 68-1, 97-1 etc., they're always rounded to 20-1, 33-1, 66-1, 100-1. Maybe this was originally to reduce the amount of stupid arm motions that users of tic-tac (betting sign language secretive wierdness) have to learn? Saying that, betting more than makes up for this at the other end of the scale: Evens, 11-8, 6-4, 7-4, 2-1, 9-4, 5-2, 11-4, 3-1, 100-30, 7-2 etc. I've probably missed a few out too.

Does anyone know why 33-1 is known as 'double carpet'? :referee: I'm pretty sure I've not just made that up.

Does anyone know why 33-1 is known as 'double carpet'? :referee: I'm pretty sure I've not just made that up.

Yes!

Don't care for the taste of your own medicine , eh Banshees Scream?

Another deep thought witted comment by Notapotato. I never gave it so much attention until recently and I've come to recognize that if you tallied all these certain posts of unique quality it could fill a whole potato barrel!

Still I can't be bothered to understand it. I figure it is very un - stiff if you know what I mean.

But at times I think it would be worth something if the original Notapotato who had more to say came back talking. His new scene is at the bottom of a great menu, it's fried.

Does anyone know why 33-1 is known as 'double carpet'? :( I'm pretty sure I've not just made that up.

Yes!

Mmmmm..... but why was a three year sentence known as a carpet?

Does anyone know why 33-1 is known as 'double carpet'? :( I'm pretty sure I've not just made that up.

Yes!

Here's one theory. A lot pf rhyming slang sites indicate it was slang for three months rather than years originally.

Yes!

Here's one theory. A lot pf rhyming slang sites indicate it was slang for three months rather than years originally.

Excellent research CA - have 10 DL credits towards a Masters.

A new nomination for Room 101 - Alex Salmond

My MP since 1987 and future First Minister of Scotalnd.

For those of you familiar with my fued with Rotten Ali, you will know that smugness makes my blood boil. This man is smugness personified. He knows that he has already won the election and he has done it too bloody well. He does not argue his own policy - his style is to dismiss everybody else's policy with a laugh, that bloody smug grin and then a little smart arse comment to finish with.

The only reason he is so popular is due to the fact that he has promised basically everybody what they want. The fact of the matter is that the nation cannot afford this and he knows it. Three years along the line he will have bankrupted my nation but he will not take the blame. No, no, no. He will blame devolution. He will claim that were it not for devolution Scotland would be coping quite well.

He knows he cannot win a referendum on Independence with the current standard of life. That is why he must destroy my country to create good conditions to enter an independence referendum.

That is why I hate Alex Salmond. The fat bastard.

The only reason he is so popular is due to the fact that he has promised basically everybody what they want.

Most politicians do that - which is why I hate them all! I can't see why everyone wastes their time carping on about the labour government, the British public obviously have a memory span of a goldfish. As soon as the tories get back into government (they'll probably do so by occupying the centre ground as well) we'll hate them too . And rightly so. For every good decision they make there are two or more gaffs which ultimately we remember them by.

Maybe we should have free phone in polls to help influence critical decisions based on public opinion rather than our so called representatives. Interactive parliament television.

Hmmm a potential for the 2008 list, murdered by an irate death lister?

Aren't all politicians smug though? These are people who are probably average achievers in normal life, then find themselves sat on a 4/5 year pot of gold bringing in money they could only dream of earning if they had to actually go and do some bloody work. We can all get rich taking money off other people. I think it's all summed up when a fat ex. ships steward from Hull who can't keep his trousers on has the potential to have his fat finger over the nuclear button. There's no honour amongst thieves and this current mob certainly know how to steal from the rest of us, but don't worry, they'll get there's at some point, what goes around comes around.

:(

Hmmm a potential for the 2008 list, murdered by an irate death lister?

I'm rather hoping he pulls a John Smith in the next 19 days.

His party is nothing without him.

Instead of putting 'SNP' on the ballot paper, they have opted for 'Alex Salmond for First Minister'.

It's not the bloody X-factor!! (no pun intended).

I'm rather hoping he pulls a John Smith in the next 19 days.

His party is nothing without him.

Instead of putting 'SNP' on the ballot paper, they have opted for 'Alex Salmond for First Minister'.

It's not the bloody X-factor!! (no pun intended).

That's right, it's nothing like the X-factor; far more people seem to care about and are even prepared to pay to vote on that... :(

Web sites like this one - particularly when they might possibly contain something of interest which is made nearly inaccessible by ridiculous presentation.

Web sites like this one - particularly when they might possibly contain something of interest which is made nearly inaccessible by ridiculous presentation.

It looks like mostly a "look at me, I'm amazing" sorta sight.

Gotta admit he's pretty hot, though.

It looks like mostly a "look at me, I'm amazing" sorta sight.

Gotta admit he's pretty hot, though.

Bah! It's all photoshop work if you ask me.

And as for climbing big buildings and plummeting from the top, there's obviously something phalic lurking in his psyche there.

these cycle racks that go on cars.

cant they just - lay them down? or put them in the boot?

cycle.jpg

People who put empty cartons back in the fridge.

People who put empty cartons back in the fridge.

Are you sure there wasn't a tiny drop at the bottom? :crossbone:

Having ~50 channels of cable TV but the only one I want to watch is playing up, jumping like a scratched DVD and hissing and popping. :angry: