I miss the ranters! :P

Me too, I wonder where they go when they're not here. :angry:

The Royal Forums?

:lol::lol::lol:

I miss the ranters! :P

Me too, I wonder where they go when they're not here. :angry:

The Royal Forums?

:lol::lol::lol:

Maybe they are all away on holiday - ranting about airport delays, hotel food, etc etc

We had us one this week, on the Roger Taylor thread, he didn't stick around though. Told us we were sick and disappeared.

Maybe they are all away on holiday - ranting about airport delays, hotel food, etc etc

But we haven't had proper and/or multiplicitous ranters around here for ages. I heard a rumour a while back that guests were disallowed from posting in the Names Forum, but I don't think that's true as there have been some recent guest posters.

It seems to me the number of ranters dropped dramatically after that incident with the guest who posted a zillion times under several ladies' names; that was around the same time, I think, as the Guest Who Took Over The World! Board. I remember that defensive action was taken at the time; perhaps the Crimson Alert - or whatever anti-nuisance alert we were put on - was reduced but never fully removed. Are we are now on Violet Alert? Have we had some of our personal freedom revoked, and I didn't even notice? Good god people!: what price our security, at what cost can we preserve our freedoms?

:angry:

But we haven't had proper and/or multiplicitous ranters around here for ages. I heard a rumour a while back that guests were disallowed from posting in the Names Forum, but I don't think that's true as there have been some recent guest posters.

It seems to me the number of ranters dropped dramatically after that incident with the guest who posted a zillion times under several ladies' names; that was around the same time, I think, as the Guest Who Took Over The World! Board. I remember that defensive action was taken at the time; perhaps the Crimson Alert - or whatever anti-nuisance alert we were put on - was reduced but never fully removed. Are we are now on Violet Alert? Have we had some of our personal freedom revoked, and I didn't even notice? Good god people!: what price our security, at what cost can we preserve our freedoms?

:angry:

I'm not entirely sure which security level we're on now, but I'm prettty sure guest posting is allowed.

It sounds like you're talking about Hi**er, the guest who tried to take the place over. Don't know what happened to him either. I expect he got his IP banned. anyway, he was a troll and not a ranter.

I'm pretty sure the guest who posted with all those ladies' names was "one of us" so to speak. Perhaps a member with a drink problem. (Which would narrow it down to only about 35 suspects. :lol: )

I reckon the lack of ranters is down to the fact that we aren't getting as many visitors at all as we were a while back. That probably has to some extent to do with the celebs we are discussing, how much they are in the news, and how far up a Google search their DL thread appears. So there's quite a big element of chance.

Of course it helps if DL gets a mention in the tabloid press, but that tends to have other unwanted side effects too. :lol:

So - in other words - we could get ranters assuming we wanted them, probably by starting vicious threads wishing death upon aged light entertainment legends, ferociously brave disabled sports people and devout religious figures.

Can't say I'm that bothered either way, I kind of like the surprise when the odd one appears but if we had 'em everyday it would spoil the place.

Of course it helps if DL gets a mention in the tabloid press, but that tends to have other unwanted side effects too. :angry:

Maybe the problem is the opposite... maybe the more press coverage we get, the more we become the norm: the site therefore seems less unusual and there is then less to rant about. ***Gasp!*** Have we become institutionalised??

... I kind of like the surprise when the odd one appears but if we had 'em everyday it would spoil the place.

That's how I feel about posts which consist only of emoticons, or like when Six just blindly agrees with everything someone else posts.

Not sure she'll be agreeing with this one, though. Maybe she'll even have a rant about it :angry:

... I kind of like the surprise when the odd one appears but if we had 'em everyday it would spoil the place.

That's how I feel about posts which consist only of emoticons, or like when Six just blindly agrees with everything someone else posts.

That's how I feel about members who post over and over and over and over again whinging about iain.

That's how I feel about members who post over and over and over and over again whinging about iain.

That's how I feel about people who just blatantly don't give a f*ck about standards and aren't willing to complain when the overall quality of posts goes down the toilet.

I feel that if more people actually had the cohonas to stand up and be counted, there'd be less people treating the DL like a little girls' chatroom and more people actually being creative with their posts. Maybe everyone's begging to see a ranter drop by, 'cos there's sweet f*ck-all excitement to be gleened from the same 10 people posting thoughtless rubbish all day every day.

I know you all think my only purpose here is to whinge. Well, it didn't start out that way, but f*ck it, someone has to call a spade a spade and I'm that person, apparently. It doesn't make me popular with the ignorant masses but, for me, that's a badge of honour.

Fact is, the creative/funny/clever/pithy/cutting-edge posts that used to draw ranters and such-like here hardly exist anymore. It's gone from beautiful black & white to shades of grey. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I'd like to think that by "whinging over and over and over again" at the poor quality of people's inane drivel, maybe I'm helping in some small way to get the impression across that members should actually put some thought into most of their posts, not just one in a hundred.

I don't give a f*ck about standards

I feel that if more people actually had the cohonas to stand up and be counted, there'd be less people treating the DL like a little girls' chatroom and more people actually being creative with their posts. Maybe everyone's begging to see a ranter drop by, 'cos there's sweet f*ck-all excitement to be gleened from the same 10 people posting thoughtless rubbish all day every day.

I know my only purpose here is to whinge but f*ck it, someone has to call a spade a spade and I'm that person, apparently. It doesn't make me popular with the ignorant masses but, for me, that's a badge of honour. Perhaps the only one Ill ever get to wear.

Fact is, the creative/funny/clever/pithy/cutting-edge posts that used to draw ranters and such-like here hardly exist anymore. Where are the marvelous witticisms of Bennett Cerf and Life Begins? It's gone from beautiful black & white to shades of mauve. I'd like to think that by "whinging over and over and over again" at the poor quality of people's inane drivel, maybe I'm helping in some small way to get the impression across that members should actually put some thought into most of their posts, not just one in a hundred. But then again what do I know since I pilfered my avatar.

Interesting thoughts there Starry....

I'm rapidly getting fed up of this forum and it's growing need to be boring.

I totally agree.

I totally agree.

<_<

Ranter alert, a guest - dropping in on the Geoff Duke thread - has just questioned our moral fibre.

Guest Shawty

you have no right to say that about someone you don't even know and you ass he doing just fine i would know he's family

you want something to say, get your facts right before you display something like this

Get a life

Hello Shawty, thanks for posting.

you have no right to say that about someone you don't even know

I've always found this viewpoint a bit hard to understand. Following this logic, the only people qualified to take part in a discussion on, for example, football, are the players themselves and them only. From here it's only a short step to movies never having a bad review due to the fact that they've been reviewed by the stars and production team. Fundamentally flawed methinks.

...and you ass...

No need to drag it into the gutter is there old boy?

...he doing just fine i would know he's family...

He's family? Really? Is His Majesty in Mercy Hospital or in St Joe's Hospice in the same building? It's none too clear in the papers.

...you want something to say, get your facts right before you display something like this...

And now that we have you for inside information, we'll be able to get our facts right before we 'display' something like this.

Get a life

And I suggest you get a 'shift' key and a few full stops. I had to read your post twice before it made sense.

you have no right to say that about someone you don't even know and you ass he doing just fine i would know he's family

you want something to say, get your facts right before you display something like this

Get a life

Dear Shawty,

As you've not quoted what post has upset you the most I'll presume it's OoO's one because it's the one before yours.

In which case you're a complete idiot because Mr Octopus has merely provided a link to a New Zealand newspaper, or is it his job to make sure the paper has their facts right?

If you are family, perhaps you can tell the Prime Minister and the King's Physician to stop scaremongering then? They don't seem to think he's 'doing jut fine'. <_<

If that's not what you were ranting about, then you're probably only mostly an idiot.

I completely agree with Gunjaman5000 about having the right to comment on things that don't directly affect you. It's a dangerous path to follow if people can only comment on things that affect them directly and would lead to mass unaccountability as everything on the planet would have to become self-regulating. Which is bad.

[Posts moved -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

Ranter alert: A drive by jobbie with poor grammer - spells 'as' as 'ass' - claims to be related to the King of Tonga.

Hmm, not to split hairs or side with a ranter or anything, but I believe the use of "ass" was correct in the sense that he was calling an undetermined someone an "ass", MPFC.

And it's "grammar", with two "a's".

Mebbe somewhere between his jive and my northern dialect there's been a breakdown of communication. If he'd rapped it rather than posted the rant I'd probably have got his meanin'.

Ranter alert, a guest - dropping in on the James Brown thread. It looks like they are slowly coming back <_<

Ranter alert, a guest - dropping in on the James Brown thread. It looks like they are slowly coming back <_<

and another one on the I & P names thread. Good to see the ranters aren't all dead.