Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

Ideas & Possibilities - The Names

What a list - and it's only July! I look forward to the less expatiated version, senza all the pointless suggestions made earlier in the year.

Snaps for the effort OoO. Reads like a man who is vying for promotion. :)

Oh by the way I'd like to add in actor Richard Crenna for the letter C

Bruno,

I think you'll find Richard Crenna died on January 17th 2003

Oh by the way I'd like to add in actor Richard Crenna for the letter C

Bruno,

I think you'll find Richard Crenna died on January 17th 2003

Oh............... I may have been inebriated that day as my New Years celebration wore on......

Right, that'll do :)

Although I have no intention of doing it right now, I am prepared to do the following:-

If we make this thread THE definitive list for choosing candidates for DL, or DDP, HDP, WDP, RDP etc etc, then I can:-

1) Delete people on the lists who are not famous enough*

2) Delete people on the lists who are not serious candidates for death

3) Add the Current names on the DL 50 2006 not already listed

4) Add the names of all those survivors from past DL's not listed

5) Add the names of all candidates who are worthy enough of their own thread onto the lists

*A bit contensious - but I'll use a broad a scope as possible & make it relevant to UK media.

That's if everyone agrees.

Then, to possibly solve another argument, anyone who is on these lists & dies - goes into Near Misses - anyone not on any eventual - Not Famous, but... Even if Iain disobeys this, it is easy for a mod/admin to put the post in the right thread. Obviously there will be some cases where they are famous enough (ie Pitney) & die unexpectedly, but I trust you can use your common sense with these folk.

Thoughts on both, please.

If enough of you agree on the above 5 pointers, I'll do it soon - maybe later today, just to get it done, or at least started.

It all sounds far too regimented and strict, I'll use my own judgement on whom to post in the near misses thread, rather than cosult a list.

Well done on compiling it though, not sure it will really be worth all the effort in the end.

Although I have no intention of doing it right now, I am prepared to do the following:-

If we make this thread THE definitive list for choosing candidates for DL, or DDP, HDP, WDP, RDP etc etc, then I can:-

1) Delete people on the lists who are not famous enough*

2) Delete people on the lists who are not serious candidates for death

3) Add the Current names on the DL 50 2006 not already listed

4) Add the names of all those survivors from past DL's not listed

5) Add the names of all candidates who are worthy enough of their own thread onto the lists

*A bit contensious - but I'll use a broad a scope as possible & make it relevant to UK media.

That's if everyone agrees.

I'm happy with that, for one.

Then, to possibly solve another argument, anyone who is on these lists & dies - goes into Near Misses - anyone not on any eventual - Not Famous, but... Even if Iain disobeys this, it is easy for a mod/admin to put the post in the right thread. Obviously there will be some cases where they are famous enough (ie Pitney) & die unexpectedly, but I trust you can use your common sense with these folk.
I think this is the area I was actually trying (badly) to suggest a solution for yesterday, rather than the above mega-list you have put together.

Your suggestion matches what I'd have suggested if my typed English ever matched my thoughts, so I'm happy with point 2 too.

Hopefully some more weighty opinion will back me up. On ne sait jamais, as the French (or at least my French teacher) might say.

It all sounds far too regimented and strict, I'll use my own judgement on whom to post in the near misses thread, rather than cosult a list.

I'm not saying you have to do anything, TF. It's just a suggestion or rough outline that some people might like to follow. Geez, there's no pleasing some people :)

I'm not saying you have to do anything, TF. It's just a suggestion or rough outline that some people might like to follow. Geez, there's no pleasing some people :)

If I misconstued your use of the word disobey, albeit in relation to iain, then I apologise.

All this list business just seems overly bureaucratic, and closer to work than leisure.

If I misconstued your use of the word disobey, albeit in relation to iain, then I apologise.

All this list business just seems overly bureaucratic, and closer to work than leisure.

The disobeying was Iain related, not generally, sorry.

Maybe you are right, TF, but if I am happy to take the time to do it (and continue doing it), and other DL'rs are happy to use it as a reference tool, then what's the harm in it?

One persons labor is another persons love.........try not to think about it TerptitudeFinder

Of course if the list gets too long it's going to be like starting again. Why is Justin Timberlake there? It can never be definitive. There will always be someone who has been overlooked.

I think OoO deserves the title of "Deathlist General" for this one. Well done!

I'll even Photoshop you a portrait if you'd like! ;)

P.S. I think if Brooke Astor would get a UK obit, Francisco Ayala would get one too.

Wait a minute... where was I listed again??? :P

Edited by Canadian Paul

I think Octopus has done a fabulous job.

Saves me the bother of compiling a big list.

Can't think of any to add....

Robert Wyatt ('Rock Bottom')?

Paraplegic, past 60...

I would like to add in the name of Haley Joel Osmont or whatever his name is...the kid from the Sixth Sense who saw dead people...... After his drunken driving spree the other day I can see he his an excellent candidate for listing here.

I'm confused. What are we supposed to be posting here. We're not getting rid of the pinned Ideas and Possibilities list are we? I hope not as I'd like to keep track on which suggestions were mine

I'm confused. What are we supposed to be posting here. We're not getting rid of the pinned Ideas and Possibilities list are we? I hope not as I'd like to keep track on which suggestions were mine

Handrejka,

AFAIK, the ideas and possibilities thread will remain. The idea really is to determine what is a "near miss" and what isn't. so basically if a celeb has been suggested then a quick look on the list to see if they've been mentioned before. Of course whomever suggested it could also notch up a few points on the gloating stakes with the words "I told you so" but who knows if their death was imminent or not ;)

I began the task of compiling the list and Octi gladly took over when I ran out of time.

Godot

I believe Justin Timberlake may be in the list, following his confessions about the quantity of drugs he has taken in the past couple of years.

Bruno

I would suggest Daniel Baldwin in favour of Haley Joel Osmont following his car crash. 45 years of age, history of alcoholism, drug addiction. crashed his thunderbird at 80 mph in LA and according to the police who witnessed the accident, he hit a parked hummer with such force that it was pushed 20 feet along the road.

You don't have to post anything.

Quite a few DL'rs (but not all, as expected) would like to have some kind of guide or reference that they can either

1) Be less confused about what construes a near miss or a "Not Famous..."

2) See if a possible suggestion for 2007 hasn't already been mentioned

3) Have a guide for 2007 possibilities - whether it be DDP, whatever

4) Remind themselves of good candidates mentioned in January forgotten by the time it comes to the end of the year

It's supposed to be an additional help, not a hindrance & a not a replacement. You can still post in the main I & P thread, and I'll update this one as need be. That's why I put 21st July up.

You, Tempus Fugit, and anyone else, don't have to use it if you don't want to. But for those of you, who do, and I know that's a good few, I'm prepared to spend my time doing it, to aid them, and maybe the DL.

Hope that clears things up.

No-one even has to post or make it a sticky. I'll just keep updating it as & when.

On other notes:

1) I must stress this is not MY Ideas & Possibilities. The bulk of these are suggestions from everyone bar me. In fact, my DDP list doesn't look anything like this one.

2) With the ailments - it's nocket as rocket science as Rotten Ali has done, but just trying to help people out so they don't have to search everywhere.

Godot - give us a break! I've only done A. ;) Timberlake will be removed. Of course, I'm not going to find the right balance, but I'll try & be as broad as possible. Give me the chance to try, eh? I thought you wanted the ailments listed...

TMIB & BB, fine. There's a large list of people suggested in 3 years of DL history, so I'll work through the list & add your suggestions.

CP, are you famous enough for a UK obit? And do you have any ailments you'd like us to know about? :P

If I sound defensive, I don't mean to be, I'm just trying to clear things up.

For what it's worth, I think this list is in theory a good idea, and if someone is prepared to put in the time, good on them. It may help or it may not, but at least OoO is giving it a go.

Yes well done OoO for taking the time to do this. I wasn't belittling it, just wanted clarification which was provided. Thanks

I'd also like to add my thanks to OoO for all his hard work , much appreciated, this thread is a great idea.

Wow, OoO! This is an amazing list! You are a real DL star and should be given a Knighthood for your efforts. (I'll have a word with the Ole' Baked Bean and see what I can do.) I'll be using this list at lot when compiling my own various deadpool entries; something I could have done with before now, as no-one on my lists ever seems to die. ;)

(Hey people, if you want to live for ever, apply to be named on one of my lists!)

Excellent work OoO, well done :P

S432_Electroplated_Gold_Star_WoodenBase.jpg

Six,

I know exactly how you feel. In one dead pool I'm running there are 7 of us playing. All with unique picks

Our grand total so far this year?... 3 out of 70

last year we only had 6 people playing, but at this time last year we had 8 out of those 60 and the final total was 15

As directed by Godot - I've had a look at this tread. Fair idea OoO, it started well but like someone said it turned into a long list of old people. In my sheadsheet I've an additional column for times mentioned - so what if some old actor gets one suggestion its surely better to have a weighting that if ten people say the end is neigh for XXXX then that plays better in the short run.

And we need to have our sights on the goal of a perfect score 10 out 10 RDP, 20 out of 20 DDP and 50 out of 50 in our own deathlist. That means picking the people who WILL NOT see out the year. Not just a chance of dieing.

All this "is a person famous to be a near miss or not" is now causing deep ructions. Please, lets have one thread up there to quote a french newspaper "Eminent persons recently deceased"

As directed by Godot - I've had a look at this tread. Fair idea OoO, it started well but like someone said it turned into a long list of old people.

:rolleyes: Whatever. You've completely & utterly missed the whole point of this thread. You stick to your list, I really don't care.

For those who are or might use the list, I've edited A-I with illnesses etc. J-Z to come.

Edited by Octopus of Odstock

As directed by Godot - I've had a look at this tread. Fair idea OoO, it started well but like someone said it turned into a long list of old people.

:rolleyes: Whatever. You've missed the whole point of this thread. You stick to your list, I really don't care.

For those who are or might use the list, I've edited A-D with illnesses etc. E-Z to come.

Much obliged Octopus for what you have done here

...and worry not about the naysayers...just a bunch of nervous nellies who fret that your hard work will earn you the great renown they've always craved.

Godot - give us a break! I've only done A. :rolleyes: Timberlake will be removed. Of course, I'm not going to find the right balance, but I'll try & be as broad as possible. Give me the chance to try, eh? I thought you wanted the ailments listed...

Hey OoO you're doing a great job. But so does Rotten Ali and his actuarial approach makes a lot of sense. You should be working together. Of course this left-brained approach is fine but deathlisting is fun because it is as much art as science.