CarolAnn

Baseball

6 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Lenny Green, who played over 1,100 games with a cross-section of teams, has died.  He was 86.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2019/01/06/former-detroit-tigers-outfielder-lenny-green-dies-age-86/2497327002/

A native Detroiter who played at Pershing High School, Green died on his 86th birthday. 
Green, along with Willie Horton, Willie Kirkland, and Leon Wagner were a group of Detroiters and African-Americans who became early pioneers following baseball's erasure of the color line.

Not quite Bill Freehan, but a teammate -- and here's your first litmus test for a QO.

• Like 2

Down is down!

Former Yankees and Mets hitting coach Rick Down died in his Las Vegas home on Saturday. 

Down passed away after a long battle with an illness. He was 68.   Down had several stints as a hitting instructor for the Yankees and Mets. Most recently, Down served as a hitting coach for the Mets from 2005 to 2007.
SC

On 09/02/2016 at 14:04, gcreptile said:

Mel Stottlemyre Sr, who has showed up here and there in deadpooling for years, is apparently doing better;

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/mel-stottlemyre-battling-blood-cancer-improving-health-article-1.2522861

Stottlemyre Sr dead.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 20:04, gcreptile said:

Mel Stottlemyre Sr, who has showed up here and there in deadpooling for years, is apparently doing better;

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/mel-stottlemyre-battling-blood-cancer-improving-health-article-1.2522861

Stottlemyre Senior Dead at 77 from cancer, according to US Sources that can't be read in Europe...

Think this fucks up some Joker teams....

NinJoeyed!

Sad. He had his up and downs through the years. My recent longlist revision showed me that he was not so good last fall. It was a bit vague though.

Jim McKean, a Major League Baseball umpire from 1973 to 1999 and a member of the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame, has died.  He was 73.  McKean also played in the CFL and was a member of the Florida State League Hall of Fame.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019/01/24/longtime-major-league-umpire-tampa-bay-area-resident-jim-mckean-dies/

The Fresno Grizzlies (minor league team) have confirmed the death of a former franchise managing partner Brian Glover.  Glover died Thursday in a car crash on U.S. 26 in a rural area north of Portland, Ore.  Glover’s car crashed into an embankment and he died at the scene. Oregon state troopers said he may have suffered a medical event before the crash.

Glover was an initial investor in Fresno Baseball Club LLC., the group that took over the Grizzlies in 2005. He remained with the organization as a managing partner until 2013. Along with Chris Cummings, Glover was part of several other sports franchises, including the Fresno Falcons and Fuego.

SC

Apparently a former, very famous, American baseball player is very unwell...

14 minutes ago, drol said:

Apparently a former, very famous, American baseball player is very unwell...

Shut it mad.gif

DL Cup written all over him.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, charon said:

Shut it mad.gif

DL Cup written all over him.

Sounds like another Orlando Cepeda debacle.  Funny, I can't find whoever it is, but I'm busy at work so.... surely it'll pop up at some point.

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Sounds like another Orlando Cepeda debacle.  Funny, I can't find whoever it is, but I'm busy at work so.... surely it'll pop up at some point.

No, this man is absolutely a dead cert by the sound of it.

If who I assume, defo obit in any pool.

Not convinced he's gonna cark tho.

Wasn't him.....

5 minutes ago, charon said:

Wasn't him.....

Even better for Cup players then, a Google 1 get one free sale...

• Haha 1

You're leaving yourself open to a flood of last minute changes :D

At least I've another month afore I put a squad together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, charon said:

You're leaving yourself open to a flood of last minute changes :D

At least I've another month afore I put a squad together.

No changes allowed once teams are submitted.  This is why I said don't submit on the 25th or whatever.  Just dumb.

Oh..... I found your ballplayer now.  Good catch for those playing in Feb.  Not sure about obit, but certain of kark.  Opposite of charon I guess.  Unless I found a THIRD player.
My player is a former MLB player and his initials are two of those letters.  *hint*  He's not famous so..... looks like a third party.

• Thanks 1

Someone's going to send in a fucking theme team at this rate!

There's always March.  Not sure I want to throw a theme team at @Spade_Cooley, though the fun and games never end when the two of us get together.

Oh wait..... I know the player you people are on about, that was a month old news, though I WAS keeping it under me chapeau.  Oh well, it had to be revealed at some point.  

• Like 1