Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

3 days into april and the only deaths reported so far are a Japanese comedian and the widow of the guy who tried to blow up Adolf Hitler.Pretty dire stuff...

Iain,

well that's a good thing for the families of those that are related to people who are close to death that they haven't died. Unless of course they were universally despised.

And it's a bad thing for the prediction game.

But bear in mind, people have a habit of dying over the Easter weekend.

For some reason Bank Holidays always seem to bring a bumper crop of celebrity deaths

Have to admit I've not heard of Penny Jay whom you mentioned in your earlier post. But then again I'm not a big fan of country music.

Interesting theory Phantom, that more deaths occur at a particular time of year, or better yet that more deaths occur on a certain holiday, whose date changes from year to year. It's been a popular DL topic for discussion over the years - is this a good month/time of year for people to die? Taking an empirical approach to analysing this fascinating issue, the starting point is that absent external forces, there's no reason why more people should die on any given day, so there should over time be an equal number of deaths occuring on each day of the year. Seems like weather extremes might make a difference, so that middle of winter and height of summer should have more deaths, especially when you consider the middle of winter in the N. Hemisphere is also the height of summer in the S. Hemisphere. Not sure if other factors (popular travel days, days when everyone crams lots of food into their mouths, Halibut holy days which involve some sort of pilgrimmage and therefore the trampling to death of at least a couple of hundred) really make that much difference in the big scheme of things.

Logically, therefore, seems to me January and July should be the months when most deaths, and therefore celebrity deaths, occur. I couold go back and look through the previous lists to see if there's any truth to that, but really can't be arsed bothered.

3 days into april and the only deaths reported so far are a Japanese comedian and the widow of the guy who tried to blow up Adolf Hitler.Pretty dire stuff...

Iain,

well that's a good thing for the families of those that are related to people who are close to death that they haven't died. Unless of course they were universally despised.

And it's a bad thing for the prediction game.

But bear in mind, people have a habit of dying over the Easter weekend.

For some reason Bank Holidays always seem to bring a bumper crop of celebrity deaths

Have to admit I've not heard of Penny Jay whom you mentioned in your earlier post. But then again I'm not a big fan of country music.

Interesting theory Phantom, that more deaths occur at a particular time of year, or better yet that more deaths occur on a certain holiday, whose date changes from year to year. It's been a popular DL topic for discussion over the years - is this a good month/time of year for people to die? Taking an empirical approach to analysing this fascinating issue, the starting point is that absent external forces, there's no reason why more people should die on any given day, so there should over time be an equal number of deaths occuring on each day of the year. Seems like weather extremes might make a difference, so that middle of winter and height of summer should have more deaths, especially when you consider the middle of winter in the N. Hemisphere is also the height of summer in the S. Hemisphere. Not sure if other factors (popular travel days, days when everyone crams lots of food into their mouths, Halibut holy days which involve some sort of pilgrimmage and therefore the trampling to death of at least a couple of hundred) really make that much difference in the big scheme of things.

Logically, therefore, seems to me January and July should be the months when most deaths, and therefore celebrity deaths, occur. I couold go back and look through the previous lists to see if there's any truth to that, but really can't be arsed bothered.

I don't know whether it's actually more deaths that occur, but more often or not it seems to be more significant deaths that happen. Or whether the deaths become more noticiable around christmas, easter and other bank holidays. Quite a few celeb deaths have happened over the gap between christmas and new year, although only a few spring straight to mind.

Or perhaps it's because those times of year are usually slow news days that they tend to stand out more

ok I'm waffling now

Guest iain

tory MP Sir Anthony Beaumont-Dark has died at 77

tory MP Sir Anthony Beaumont-Dark has died at 77

That's ruined my day :party:

Can't find a proper obit yet (though I'm sure there will be some in time) but Martin Gilks, drummer from the Wonder Stuff, has died. Road accident apparently. Very sad news :party:

Can't find a proper obit yet (though I'm sure they will be some in time) but Martin Gilks, drummer from the Wonder Stuff, has died. Road accident apparently. Very sad news :party:

I was just listening to their song "Don't Let Me Down" yesterday afternoon :party:

Guest iain

top tv producer Gloria Monty has died at 84.She was responible for General Hospital

and the motor racing team boss William Jordan has died

He was known as John, btw, not William. William is on his birth certificate, but it was as "John Jordan" that he was mildly famous in motor racing & his business interests. It says as much in the link and on Wikipedia.

top tv producer Gloria Monty has died at 84.She was responible for General Hospital

Iain, I think you are getting your breakfast cereal confused with your Motor racing. A mistake anyone could make. I'm off to drive round Silverstone in a box of cornflakes this weekend...

Iain, I think you are getting your breakfast cereal confused with your Motor racing. A mistake anyone could make. I'm off to drive round Silverstone in a box of cornflakes this weekend...

Well, he is & he isn't. John Jordan, he of cornflake fame, ran Formula 2 racing cars etc. in the 1960's & 1970's - so he is effectively, a "motor racing team boss" -he's got nothing to do with the Jordan F1 team - that was run by Eddie "Wiggy" Jordan. Anyway, I did mention JJ's death in the F1 thread as well.

Donaldson is a shock. I know, I know.. it shouldn't be, but it is to me.

Martin Gilks obit to confirm Vinegar Tit's sad news BBC News report re. his death

I don't know if anyone here, bar myself, has heard of him, but Blackpool FC legend Ewan Fenton has also died.

Sir Richard Powell, who was former permament secretary to the Board of Trade, amongst other high ranking Civil Service jobs, has died aged 96.

link - search for Powell, last 14 days

When I did my politics degree, I studied Powell, amongst others, when we looked at the Civil Service & Politics. It was mostly dull but thankfully, the tutor kept us awake & entertained by playing "Yes, Minister/Prime Minister" as it was a better way of illustrating what civil service mandarians did than reading any old book.

Powell was also on my DDP "20" for next year. Drat, I might've sneaked an unique pick there.

:unsure:

Guest iain

singer Gene Pitney dead at 65.He was famous for the song '24 hours from Tulsa' and did a duet with Marc Almond in the early 90s 'somethings gotta hold of my heart'

Henry Farrell author of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" has died at the age of 85

Edited by Phantom

Just wanted to add, that "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" had a very powerful storyline.

Makes you wonder if the same thing could possibly happen in real life, perhaps with the Olson twins or maybe between Jessica and Ashley Simpson

Both Joan Crawford and Bette Davis were amazing in the movie of "whatever happened.."

Think I might watch the movie again tonight

Guest iain

the well known child actor from the 1940s Gary Gray has died.Your bound to recognise his face.He was in tonnes of those old black and white films.He starred in the original 'Lassie the dog' film

Guest iain

Ryusuke Matsumoto, who led the manzai comic dialogue boom of the 1980s with Shinsuke Shimada in the comedy duo "Shimada Shinsuke, Matsumoto Ryusuke" died on Saturday. He was 49.

Elisabeth Magdalena Gräfin Schenk von Stauffenberg (27 August 1913 – 2 April 2006) was the wife of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, the leader of the failed plot to assassinate Hilter on 20 July, 1944.

Legendary National Geo photographer, writer dies at 75Tom Abercrombie never got to finish his last earthly adventure.

The retired National Geographic magazine photographer and writer - who traveled the globe from Antarctica to the Amazon by Land Rover, camel, plane and yak - had set about building a skipjack in the barn of his Shady Side home.

He died yesterday of complications following heart surgery. Mr. Abercrombie was 75.

Former WBC junior middleweight champion Eckhard Dagge, who bragged about his heavy drinking, died Tuesday.

Hamburg's Leuchtfeuer Hospice, where he was being treated for cancer, said Dagge was 58.

Ryusuke Matsumoto, who led the manzai comic dialogue boom of the 1980s with Shinsuke Shimada in the comedy duo "Shimada Shinsuke, Matsumoto Ryusuke" died on Saturday. He was 49.

Elisabeth Magdalena Gräfin Schenk von Stauffenberg (27 August 1913 – 2 April 2006) was the wife of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, the leader of the failed plot to assassinate Hilter on 20 July, 1944.

Legendary National Geo photographer, writer dies at 75Tom Abercrombie never got to finish his last earthly adventure.

The retired National Geographic magazine photographer and writer - who traveled the globe from Antarctica to the Amazon by Land Rover, camel, plane and yak - had set about building a skipjack in the barn of his Shady Side home.

He died yesterday of complications following heart surgery. Mr. Abercrombie was 75.

Former WBC junior middleweight champion Eckhard Dagge, who bragged about his heavy drinking, died Tuesday.

Hamburg's Leuchtfeuer Hospice, where he was being treated for cancer, said Dagge was 58.

what the f*ck is the manzai comic dialogue boom? And it's not possible to go from the Antarctic to the Amazon by Land Rover. I should know, I tried it nine years ago and just got cold and wet.

the well known child actor from the 1940s Gary Gray has died.Your bound to recognise his face.He was in tonnes of those old black and white films.He starred in the original 'Lassie the dog' film

Can't say as how I recognized him.

Further research however and this is oddd and improtant shows that he was most probabably possibly named after a character name in a movie with the great actor Bob Steele (Trooper Duffy from F-Troop....there;s a thread on thaty meaty matter somewheres artround here). The other day I saw the namee Gary gray and said to myself that the name was composed of the asme letters in both the first and last names wghich I found rtight nice. Other thigns that are tidnits of fascinating information are that his father was Bill Gray but not Billy Gray who was Bud Anderson on Father Knows Best with Robert Young and Jane Wyatt and Elinor donahue and Kitten Laurnen Chapin (who I saw on Biography once had a very bad drug habit).

Bob Steele buy thye way has died since 1988 which was 17 years after his twin brother Bill although theirt birth real name was Bradbury. Not sure if they were related to the late great Ray Bradbury who wrote the Illustrated Man which in the movie versiuon starred Rod Steiger.

Biotton line though is I have know recollection of this Gary Gray person. Sad to sewe him go thoguh and so young too,

I don't recognise him at all, he's been in quite a few movies throughout his career though.

The original Lassie movie? hmmm I always thought Roddy McDowell was in the original one "Lassie Come Home" in 1943, whereas Gary Gray was in "The Painted Hills - aka Lassie's Adventures in the Goldrush" which wasn't until 1951 (8 years later)

I don't recognise him at all, he's been in quite a few movies throughout his career though.

The original Lassie movie? hmmm I always thought Roddy McDowell was in the original one "Lassie Come Home" in 1943, whereas Gary Gray was in "The Painted Hills - aka Lassie's Adventures in the Goldrush" which wasn't until 1951 (8 years later)

Don;'t arfgue with IANn you kn ows hes occasionally almost right.

Guest iain

I cant claim to be a Lassie expert so you might be right about that.

I can't claim to be a Lassie expert either, although using imdb.com gave me the relevant information that I needed

I can't claim to be a Lassie expert either, although using imdb.com gave me the relevant information that I needed

To this day I trust IMDB. I've had countless good times reading Bio's of long dead celebritys... :pop:

the well known child actor from the 1940s Gary Gray has died. Your bound to recognise his face.He was in tonnes of those old black and white films. He starred in the original 'Lassie the dog' film

Bottom line though is I have no recollection of this Gary Gray person. Sad to see him go though and so young too

don't recognise him at all, he's been in quite a few movies throughout his career though.

Don't argue with Iain you know hes occasionally almost right

Iain, can you check your sources, please? Gary Gray, the actor, it appears, is STILL ALIVE. Just another Wiki hoax? it seems, as there is no report of his death anywhere- your link just goes straight to his imdb page.

(or that's what it seems like so far - unless someone can produce a reliable source)

EDIT - apparently on a message board there is a mention of his death. :o To Iain, I apologise & to others, :o but my point stands, let's try to have a source with it. In this case, though, this is NOT a knock at Iain, but at the Wikipedia person, who took some 4 days to come up with a source.

It's only natural I should be sceptical after the Peter Klein fiasco of last month. Seems there's a mad rush to be first without checking facts... :D:pop: