Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

How about (Why am I even getting involved again?):

If one of us (members/mods/guests) has heard of them and they're not too niche (ie Mayor of Benidorm - very familiar to me, but only me on this board), near misses.

Otherwise, leave it for Iain to post in Not Famous but...

Can't ask fairer than that.

:unsure:

How about (Why am I even getting involved again?):

If one of us (members/mods/guests) has heard of them and they're not too niche (ie Mayor of Benidorm - very familiar to me, but only me on this board), near misses.

Otherwise, leave it for Iain to post in Not Famous but...

Can't ask fairer than that.

But Iain's heard of everyone!! :blink:

Actually HCW is right. This thread is called "Near Misses", so it should be for people we thought about putting on the 2006 list, or people we should have thought of, but didn't. CP is likely in the enlightened minority of DL'ers to have ever heard of Rajkumar, but I certainly don't recall any mention of him as a possible any time prior to his dying. As for that Coffin guy, he too belongs in the "Not exactly Famous But Worth a Mention" thread, in this case just becase he's got a fun, death-related name.

Hmmm... I was under a different impression, but you are the mod so I guess you know best. But what about people who are clearly famous enough (like say, Tom Hanks) but who no one thinks is a good candidate, so no one brings them up before they say, die in a freak accident? They'd be famous enough, but not a near miss...

I'm so confused. We either need one thread for this stuff or more threads... I can't figure out which. :unsure:

People like Tom Hanks would get their own threads.

Again I'm getting hacked off with the "near misses" and "not exactly famous" threads issues.

If we are going to have this thread continue. Can I propose that a main qualifying criteria of being listed in this "near misses" thread is that they have been picked by someone in the DDP. Now that's an area of 240 variously coherent people each picking a list of twenty people. In total this year that's about 1,000 considered individuals. Otherwise the deaths of famous people need to be listed in a new category of "not exactly considered"

The thing is Rajkumar was famous, very famous among 1bn Indians and many thousands of Asian British in the UK. I think "famous among deathlisters" or those who enter the DDP is pretty limited. There are plenty of people in the DDP that I would rate as "not exactly famous", Brook Astor for one and she's in my list. I'm not sure this argument is easily resolved but I do think it might not have started at all had in not been for Iain's constant posting of unknowns in the near misses thread. Ironically he may have had a point with Rajkumar. Maybe there should be a "who gives a sh*t?" thread just for Iain.

Guest Guest

Why not just have one thread for non-list famous people who have died? I only read the site occasionly but I beleieve thats how it was done last year. Obviously a bit of common sense is required but it's hardly going to ruin your day if you have to read about some dead person you've never heard of. It's much more tedious to read four pages on this argument.

Why not just have one thread for non-list famous people who have died? I only read the site occasionly but I beleieve thats how it was done last year. Obviously a bit of common sense is required but it's hardly going to ruin your day if you have to read about some dead person you've never heard of. It's much more tedious to read four pages on this argument.

Dear Guest,

Please register as a member. You obviously have what it takes!

Regards,

Cap'n

Dear Guest,

Regards,

Cap'n

He is already a registered member. That guest was Rotten Ali, who probably forgot to log in.

name='Guest':- It's much more tedious to read four pages on this argument.

He is already a registered member. That guest was Rotten Ali, who probably forgot to log in

That's odd. Rotten Ali is moaning about how tedious it is to read about an argument on famousness, yet he's the one who's brought it up at least twice & re-ignited the argument. :lol:

I think what we have now (ie right now) is fine. The nobodies ARE being put in the right thread by Iain, at last.

Besides, to check if someone was in the DDP, we'd have to go to that site, see if they're there, then go back again, THEN post. (unless you know, off by heart, every single nominee :unsure: ) That's too long-winded for me.

I'm bored now of this argument & even more bored that no-one on my DDP team or shortlist is dying. Buggers. :blink:

(unless you know, off by heart, every single nominee :unsure: )

Are you implying that you don't? You'll never make nationals with that attitude! :lol:

It has been an awfully slow month though, especially with so many prime candidates - Preston, Buchwald, Getty, Biggs, Haughey etc. supposedly being right on the brink. I think people jinxed it by saying it was going to be a fruitful month. :blink:

Maybe we should have one thread where non-DL candidates who die, regardless of the famousness, are posted, kind of like a heads-up. Then, millwall32 can start a poll where we all have the opportunity to vote as to whether said dead person should be in the 'Near Misses' or the 'Not exactly famous' thread. Once that is complete, then the posts can be moved to the winning thread by a conscientious and dedicated Mod. Then, after a grace period of say, a couple of weeks (perhaps we could vote on this as well?), someone else (another dedicated member, or perhaps the same mod, or even iain - who am I to judge? We could vote on this as well) could scour the Internet, and Wiki of course (god forbid we don't involve Wiki in the process!), and if their death proves more or less notable that the thread we've assigned them to, we could have another vote (I miss m32's polls) to see if we're happy with the dead person's original assignment, based on the new information.

Finally, perhaps the DLWG can conduct an exit survey at the six-week point, to see if DL members are happy with this procedure, results to be posted so as to allow for scrutinisation. We could also set up a Complaints Commission (to be headed up by either notapotato or Tempus Fugit) for members to go to if they feel the process is unfair, not comprehensive enough, or if they feel they've been wronged in any way.

Not only thorough, but also keeping in the obsessive nature of this debate. Can't say fairer than that.

Maybe we should have one thread where non-DL candidates who die, regardless of the famousness, are posted, kind of like a heads-up. Then, millwall32 can start a poll where we all have the opportunity to vote as to whether said dead person should be in the 'Near Misses' or the 'Not exactly famous' thread. Once that is complete, then the posts can be moved to the winning thread by a conscientious and dedicated Mod. Then, after a grace period of say, a couple of weeks (perhaps we could vote on this as well?), someone else (another dedicated member, or perhaps the same mod, or even iain - who am I to judge? We could vote on this as well) could scour the Internet, and Wiki of course (god forbid we don't involve Wiki in the process!), and if their death proves more or less notable that the thread we've assigned them to, we could have another vote (I miss m32's polls) to see if we're happy with the dead person's original assignment, based on the new information.

Finally, perhaps the DLWG can conduct an exit survey at the six-week point, to see if DL members are happy with this procedure, results to be posted so as to allow for scrutinisation. We could also set up a Complaints Commission (to be headed up by either notapotato or Tempus Fugit) for members to go to if they feel the process is unfair, not comprehensive enough, or if they feel they've been wronged in any way.

Not only thorough, but also keeping in the obsessive nature of this debate. Can't say fairer than that.

I'm sensing just the slightest scintilla of sarcasm.

football_fan Posted Today, 05:49 PM

QUOTE(Captain Oates @ Apr 14 2006, 11:41 AM)

QUOTE(Guest @ Apr 14 2006, 04:22 PM)

Dear Guest,

Regards,

Cap'n

He is already a registered member. That guest was Rotten Ali, who probably forgot to log in.

Wrong FF - not me - and how can you think its me, when the quote says "I only read the site occasionly" when I'm getting grief from the wife right now since she wants me to feed her! and I've been in and out of here all day!????

The "one thread" system worked absolutely fine.

I say we go back to it. We could have a poll I suppose.

The "one thread" system worked absolutely fine.

I say we go back to it. We could have a poll I suppose.

I agree, stick 'em all in the same thread. Degrees of famousness are pretty subjective and are always going to cause arguements.

I'm cave-ing in on this one too!

Mod's please lets just have one pinned thread to list those obits and newsflash items that some-how find their way onto this site.! Don't even care what its called now!

Rotten Ali wrote:

Wrong FF - not me - and how can you think its me, when the quote says "I only read the site occasionly" when I'm getting grief from the wife right now since she wants me to feed her! and I've been in and out of here all day!????

You're getting grief? And you've been in and out of there all day? All day? She doesn't know she's born, lol :unsure:

Dame Muriel Spark, Scottish author, best known for "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", has died according to BBC.

I read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie a few years ago. Didn't thrill me to bits, but was an ok read. I'm saddened by Muriel Spark's death. ( She was on my list for 2007.:unsure: )

Looks like the Cap'n and Octopus dead-heated :unsure: reporting that one! I suppose the headline should be "Spark out"!

Guest iain

have you heard?Dame Muriel Spark has died at 88! She wrote the Pride of Miss Jean Brodie among others

have you heard?Dame Muriel Spark has died at 88! She wrote the Pride of Miss Jean Brodie among others

Yes we have heard!. Before you post Iain, just take a few deep breaths, check the posts over the previous few hours / days and / or use the Search facility.

( I hate nitpickers... but I really can't help myself. You see, I'm a sad and miserable individual, I have no fun in my life, except the DL- obviously, and so I concentrate too much on the little details. I really am sorry...)

...it's The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

:blink: