Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

I read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie a few years ago. Didn't thrill me to bits, but was an ok read. I'm saddened by Muriel Spark's death. ( She was on my list for 2007.:blink: )

The Driver's Seat is much better, very macabre

Guest iain

the scottish singer [Calum kennedy link removed as its been updated with new news stories] has died at 77

Edited by heaven can wait

To further my point on Rajkumar's fame, 8 killed in violence while mourning Rajkumar.

Usually there aren't violent and fatal riots during the funerals of non-famous people. :blink:

Here's one for the British side of the floor: Sir Roy Denman, who negotiated Britain's entry into the precursor of the European Union, among much else.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6041401521.html

I survived reading his book 'A Mandarin's Tale', but it was touch and go for a while :blink:

the scottish singer Calum Kennedy has died at 77

Iain's link seems to have updated itself and gone off topic.

Let's hope that this one will last a bit longer!

Guest iain

US actor Ed Corbett has died aged 74.He was in many films including Village of the Damned

[Thread Moved to Near Misses - ff]

Edited by football_fan

Don't do that, it's annoying.

Almost as annoying as being suspended for 24 hours...

Don't do that, it's annoying.

I support that... I was looking for some good news after my Arabic Quiz, but false hopes are worse than no hopes.

I suggest we thrash this thread before it grows too big.

Guest iain

member of the US House of Representatives from 1983 to 1999 Daniel Schaefer has died.There is no articles about his death that I can find at present although I'll post a link as soon as I find one

Former West Ham & Ipswich manager John Lyall has died.

[verbal diarrhoea]I'd be getting a bit worried if I was Harry Redknapp, Alan Pardew etc. at the rate West Ham managers seem to be heading for an early bath this year.

Seriously though, despite being a Charlton fan,[nostalgia] the first footy game I can still remember seeing on TV was the FA Cup final of 1980 when Lyall was manager of West Ham, which they won 1-0 over Arsenal with a Trevor Brooking header, and like most of the West Ham team of the 70's & 80's, he was at the club for a long long time. I didn't support anyone aged 6 (my dad wasn't into football so I took up a club a bit later in life when I found out my mate's dad was Charlton youth team manager) but I remember my brother being delighted as he's a Liverpool fan, and Arsenal knocked them out in the semi-final after about a million-ish replays; there never used to be a maximum amount in those days.....policeman getting younger, always had white christmases etc.[/nostalgia]

I stand to be corrected by superior statisticians, but I think that was the last time a club outside the top division won the FA Cup, despite it being a fairly regular occurrence in the 70's.

Mr Lyall, your services to the beautiful game will be long appreciated and much missed.

Although it's probably a bit late for me to be addressing him directly, what with the recent dying.[/verbal diarrhoea]

[verbal diarrhoea]I'd be getting a bit worried if I was Harry Redknapp, Alan Pardew etc. at the rate West Ham managers seem to be heading for an early bath this year.

Seriously though, despite being a Charlton fan,[nostalgia] the first footy game I can still remember seeing on TV was the FA Cup final of 1980 when Lyall was manager of West Ham, which they won 1-0 over Arsenal with a Trevor Brooking header, and like most of the West Ham team of the 70's & 80's, he was at the club for a long long time. I didn't support anyone aged 6 (my dad wasn't into football so I took up a club a bit later in life when I found out my mate's dad was Charlton youth team manager) but I remember my brother being delighted as he's a Liverpool fan, and Arsenal knocked them out in the semi-final after about a million-ish replays; there never used to be a maximum amount in those days.....policeman getting younger, always had white christmases etc.[/nostalgia]

I stand to be corrected by superior statisticians, but I think that was the last time a club outside the top division won the FA Cup, despite it being a fairly regular occurrence in the 70's.

Mr Lyall, your services to the beautiful game will be long appreciated and much missed.

Although it's probably a bit late for me to be addressing him directly, what with the recent dying.[/verbal diarrhoea]

Such a shame that Lyall died just a few days before their semi-final match against Charlton this coming Sunday. If they beat Charlton on Sunday, it would be a fitting tribute to Lyall for them to be in the final and I'd love to see them win it again

Such a shame that Lyall died just a few days before their semi-final match against Charlton this coming Sunday. If they beat Charlton on Sunday, it would be a fitting tribute to Lyall for them to be in the final and I'd love to see them win it again

I agree, it would have been nice if he'd survived to see them lift the cup, if that's what they do. I'd be more than happy to see West Ham win on Sunday, especially as Middlesborough knocked us out in the quarter final replay! So for that reason alone I'd love to see West Ham tank them. :)

And as for the final, I can't see myself wanting Chelsea or Liverpool to beat either of the other two, although if Middlesborough win, it may propel Steve McLaren towards the England job, which I'm not too keen on.

I agree, it would have been nice if he'd survived to see them lift the cup, if that's what they do. I'd be more than happy to see West Ham win on Sunday, especially as Middlesborough knocked us out in the quarter final replay! So for that reason alone I'd love to see West Ham tank them. :D

And as for the final, I can't see myself wanting Chelsea or Liverpool to beat either of the other two, although if Middlesborough win, it may propel Steve McLaren towards the England job, which I'm not too keen on.

sorry I should have said Middlesborough, I guess that's what comes of reading two things at the same time.

It should have been West Ham's match against Middlesborough on Sunday :)

A great shame. Nice bloke and his teams played lovely football. Also responsible for a lot of players emerging in the last 20-30 years. :D

Pardew doesn't need to worry yet. If he wins the Cup, that's another matter as West Ham have only won the cup under.. Greenwood & Lyall. :)

And, yep, West Ham, in 1980 was the last time a non-top flight team won the FA Cup.

member of the US House of Representatives from 1983 to 1999 Daniel Schaefer has died.There is no articles about his death that I can find at present although I'll post a link as soon as I find one

In other words, there's no link on Wikipedia. Well, whilst we all wait for you to find the Google News Search page: :)

One of only 11 obits in two days for Schaefer. Looks like no-one actually gives a sh*t about him.

Obit from LA Times

Though the article mentions John Swigert, the Apollo 13 astronaut, who I have heard of & Schaefer got his "lucky break" from Swigert's early death.

Guest iain

legendary test pilot Scott Crossfield has been killed in a plane crash aged 84

He was 84 that's to be expected.

He was 84 that's to be expected.

He was flying a cessna too when he crashed. Those things get thrown around a lot even with the slightest gust of wind. Nice aircraft though, t'was in one of them that I earned my pilot's license on the busiest day in aviation history - December 17th 2003 :lol:

Did some nice spins in a C152a a couple of years ago from 5000 ft over the Isle of Sheppey.

Guest iain

THE South African activist and playright Ellen Kuzwayo has died at 91

The former Brazilian football manager, Tele Santana who was discussed earlier this month on this forum, has died, not surprisingly, after being in very ill health for the last month.

Sad week for 80's football managers. :huh:

BBC link

Guest iain

my 666th post is imminent..spooky

:huh: what could it mean...?

my 666th post is imminent..spooky

:huh: what could it mean...?

That you'd have posted to the forum 666 times?