Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Actress Moira Redmond has died.After a long illness & dementia.

MSN UK .Link is about three pages long, tough!

Not exactly famous, was she, but at least she was a looker in her prime.

untitled3ts.png

Found a link on IMDB.

Moira Redmond.

Actress Moira Redmond has died.After a long illness & dementia.

MSN UK .Link is about three pages long, tough!

Not exactly famous, was she, but at least she was a looker in her prime.

untitled3ts.png

TF your avatar shows Patrick Mc Goohan as John Drake.

Yet you didnt know Moira was in three episodes of Danger Man. Tut Tut ;):D

TF your avatar shows Patrick Mc Goohan as John Drake.

Yet you didnt know Moira was in three episodes of Danger Man. Tut Tut ;):D

I have to admit that I've never seen Danger Man, I only really know McGoohan from The Prisoner.

But Spotlight only had this one of him, along with a lot of other B&W pics of old celebs.

oh goody..a nice juicy by-election in an SNP held constituency to prove how unpopular they are

I wonder if the SNP leader Alex Salmond will stand in the by-election

You know Ira, even drunk as a skunk that particular set of words would not have made any sense to me. Of course considering that you have no formal education, nor do you have access to regular mental capabilities (such as simple reasoning and common sense), I suppose I should not really be surprised and would be much better off just admiring your ability to spell certain words--irregardless of how senseless they are when strung together.

oh goody..a nice juicy by-election in an SNP held constituency to prove how unpopular they are

You know Ira, even drunk as a skunk that particular set of words would not have made any sense to me. Of course considering that you have no formal education, nor do you have access to regular mental capabilities (such as simple reasoning and common sense), I suppose I should not really be surprised and would be much better off just admiring your ability to spell certain words--irregardless of how senseless they are when strung together.

BB, that was such a well-spelt post I almost feel terrible pointing out that irregardless isn't a word - it's just "regardless".

BB, that was such a well-spelt post I almost feel terrible pointing out that irregardless isn't a word - it's just "regardless".

That is not exactly ture C.R. According to both the Merriam Webster Dictionary and The American Heritage Dictionary, the etymology is believed to be a blending of the words irrespective and regardless. It is often considered to be wrong and is primarily used in casual/nonstandard speech, edited prose and/or casual writings (such as is found on internet forums and boards). It is a word which was coined in the U.S. of A. and therefore it is more of an American word than a British word so to locate it in the Oxford English Dictionary might be an impossibility (I don't have one of those handy....sorrry). So the bottom line is that it is a word which has yet to gain major acceptance; however since it is still in relative infancy (first hundred years of life) it may one day gain usage by the masses. (or perhaps just around Manassas) and irregardless of whether or not you care to use it, there is proof (almost abundant proof) that it is a legitimate word.

there is proof (almost abundant proof) that it is a legitimate word.

Irregardless is a much derided word, shame, as I quite like it.

But it is a rather good Cafe. :o

That is not exactly ture C.R. According to both the Merriam Webster Dictionary and The American Heritage Dictionary, the etymology is believed to be a blending of the words irrespective and regardless. It is often considered to be wrong and is primarily used in casual/nonstandard speech, edited prose and/or casual writings (such as is found on internet forums and boards). It is a word which was coined in the U.S. of A. and therefore it is more of an American word than a British word so to locate it in the Oxford English Dictionary might be an impossibility (I don't have one of those handy....sorrry). So the bottom line is that it is a word which has yet to gain major acceptance; however since it is still in relative infancy (first hundred years of life) it may one day gain usage by the masses. (or perhaps just around Manassas) and irregardless of whether or not you care to use it, there is proof (almost abundant proof) that it is a legitimate word.

Thanks for the explanation BB. The etymology of "irrespective" is that Americans can often be really dumb and insular. The company I used to work for in the US regularly used "impactful" in its press releases, even though that's not a word. Many Americans think there is a word "alot", as in "I shot alot of kids at school today". A majority also go around saying "I could care less", when they really mean "I couldn't care less." So frequent usage in America isn't the best measure of a word's validity.

And it seems the OED is a pretty sensible adjudicator of what is and isn't a word. If I'm not mistaken they wisely allowed "D'oh", as in Homer Simpson's catchphrase, to enter their lexicon a few years back.

Regardless, next time I'm in North Carolina I'm stopping by that tasty-sounding cafe.

Epidemiologist Richard K. Root munched by a crocodile.

Can't say I've ever heard of him, but I'd say he maxes out on style points for that one.

Bernard Lacoste, head of the Lacoste clothing firm for 40 years & son of founder & tennis player Rene, has died aged 74.

From someone who was killed by a crocodile to someone who made a fortune from a crocodile.

Either way death claimed them both, as is its wont.

Epidemiologist Richard K. Root munched by a crocodile.

Can't say I've ever heard of him, but I'd say he maxes out on style points for that one.

Bernard Lacoste, head of the Lacoste clothing firm for 40 years & son of founder & tennis player Rene, has died aged 74.

From someone who was killed by a crocodile to someone who made a fortune from a crocodile.

Either way death claimed them both, as is its wont.

if it's true these things happen in threes, Paul Hogan would have been an excellent 2006 pick.

I am sure that if Iain felt the need to defend his command of the English language he would, but I have read his post and it makes complete sense. Perhaps not the best use of English, (missing the odd bit of punctuation), but understandable to anyone with a knowledge of British culture.

Guest iain

Who is Ira? :D

World War 2 flying ace Pierre Closterman has died at 85

Yes, we know. :D:eshock:

I posted that yesterday on the Not Famous But... thread.

Do you ever read any other thread in this forum or do you come straight here? You did the same with the fellow eaten by a crocodile.... :o:eshock:

What's more, you couldn't even spell his name right....

Do you ever read any other thread in this forum or do you come straight here? You did the same with the fellow eaten by a crocodile.... :o:eshock:

The crocodile had a name? Really?

Guest iain

You did mention yourself in the not famous thread that you were t hinking of posting his death on this thread,so I thought I would do it on your behalf!

Aye, but surely one notice is enough? I'd understand if he had a thread of his own to have repeated death notices but he was border-line famous..

I would also imagine that most people check both threads now that they're both stickies.

But hey, what I will say, is you found a proper mention about his passing. So, kudos.

Well, I've never heard of him so he's obviously not that famous. :D

Besides, no need to duplicate deaths.

I'm going to have to have a rant about these two threads. Namely the "near misses" and the "not exactly famous".

Please you Mods, lets have some order. I can't help but feel most of the postings for these two areas coming from oribit swipes from wiki et al, should be placed only in the "not exactly famous" tread. Only those people who are genuinely known by most people (ie famous by both name and image) and are regular picks in DDP (and not on the DeathList 50 persons list) should be in this near misses thread.

To confirm if it's DDP hit or a really famous person (say someone famous as Douglas Bader) its in here, if its an orbit swipe of someone most people have never heard of (like this WWII flying chap, god rest his soul, thanks very much and all that) then its only in the "not exactly famous".

I'm going to have to have a rant about these two threads. Namely the "near misses" and the "not exactly famous".

Please you Mods, lets have some order. I can't help but feel most of the postings for these two areas coming from oribit swipes from wiki et al, should be placed only in the "not exactly famous" tread. Only those people who are genuinely known by most people (ie famous by both name and image) and are regular picks in DDP (and not on the DeathList 50 persons list) should be in this near misses thread.

To confirm if it's DDP hit or a really famous person (say someone famous as Douglas Barder) its in here, if its an orbit swipe of someone most people have never heard of (like this WWII flying chap, god rest his soul, thanks very much and all that) then its only in the "not exactly famous".

I second that, although I don't know who Douglas Barder is.