Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

actor Britt Lomond has died.You ,ight know him from the 1950s Zorro series where he played the part of Capitan Monastario

for anyone to be familiar with the 1950's series Zorro they would have to have lived in the US and be at least 60 years old, which I'd guess describes virtually none of the DL members. So, again, this really belongs in the not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) thread

actor Britt Lomond has died.You ,ight know him from the 1950s Zorro series where he played the part of Capitan Monastario

for anyone to be familiar with the 1950's series Zorro they would have to have lived in the US and be at least 60 years old, which I'd guess describes virtually none of the DL members. So, again, this really belongs in the not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) not exactly famous (record skips) thread

Although he was in Rawhide too, my mum used to watch that when I was younger (this was back in the 70s).

I recognise the his name, but couldn't pick him out at random unless I knew what character he was playing in the movie / tv series that he was appearing in

I think he's a sort of borderline near miss / not exactly famous

Iain, I posted about Britt Lomond's death, in some detail, on this thread, 5 days ago!

Phantom, CR - for what's it worth, I had heard of him, but I admit it's borderline.

Although he was in Rawhide too, my mum used to watch that when I was younger (this was back in the 70s).

I recognise the his name, but couldn't pick him out at random unless I knew what character he was playing in the movie / tv series that he was appearing in

I think he's a sort of borderline near miss / not exactly famous

I'm starting to wonder if I'm old before my time :lol:<_<

Iain, I posted about Britt Lomond's death, in some detail, on this thread, 5 days ago!

Phantom, CR - for what's it worth, I had heard of him, but I admit it's borderline.

OK, I looked at a pic on line and I guess he looks vaguely familiar, and obviously was in plenty of stuff besides Zorro. Regardless, I seriously doubt he was nominated on the DL site but not selected for the 2006 list, so it's not a "Near Miss".

Which gives me an idea. How about only posting on the Near Misses page deaths of people who you can show were mentioned prior to 2006 somewhere on the site? Then they truly would have been "near misses".

I'm sure all our faithful members will adhere strictly if this suggestion is adopted.

Cowboy Ronnie wrote:

for anyone to be familiar with the 1950's series Zorro they would have to have lived in the US and be at least 60 years old, which I'd guess describes virtually none of the DL members.

To be fair, the series was often on Saturday morning and holiday telly here in the UK when I was a child and I'm still a decent away from being 60.

I wouldn't have known the guy by name, but I do vaguely remember his character in Zorro to which Iain referred.

Phantom wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if I'm old before my time

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Phantom, lol.

EDIT: Don't you just love it when someone posts just seconds before you and renders your carefully worded, thought out post pointless? <_<

Phantom wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if I'm old before my time

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Phantom, lol.

EDIT: Don't you just love it when someone posts just seconds before you and renders your carefully worded, thought out post pointless? :lol:

My wife watched "One Foot in the grave" for the first time last week, she turned to me and told me I'd make a wonderful Victor Meldrew when I'm older <_<:lol:

Which gives me an idea. How about only posting on the Near Misses page deaths of people who you can show were mentioned prior to 2006 somewhere on the site? Then they truly would have been "near misses".

Already suggested it, was flamed down for it. There has been a deathly silence from the mod's regards the not famous but/near misses debate, with the end result being even more confusion.

Sometimes I wonder if what I post makes the slightest bit of difference to anyone bar MPFC & CP as my original Lomond post proved. <_<

There has been a deathly silence from the mod's regards the not famous but/near misses debate, with the end result being even more confusion.

Ok, I'll bite.

Observant users may have noticed that I often move posts from "Near Misses" to "Not Exactly Famous". The criteria I use for such a decision are arbitrary. There are no formal rules, nor would I like it if such rules were to be formally written. My thinking goes something like this:

1. Subject has been a candidate on the list -> Near Miss
  2. Subject was discussed in "Ideas and Possibilites" -> Near Miss
  3. Subject has own topic -> Own Topic
  4. I know the subject and subject passes "Famousness Test" -> Near Miss
  5. Otherwise -> Not Exactly Famous

Sometimes I move a post just because I like to.

regards,

Hein

Already suggested it, was flamed down for it. There has been a deathly silence from the mod's regards the not famous but/near misses debate, with the end result being even more confusion.

Sometimes I wonder if what I post makes the slightest bit of difference to anyone bar MPFC & CP as my original Lomond post proved. <_<

yesterday I posted in the Ideas and possibilities section that I agreed that Edgar Ray Killen would probably pass the famousness test largely because of the film Mississippi Burning. So yes, O³, your posts do matter to more than just three people.

One issue is that at the moment we don't seem to have the number of admins with both the IT skills and the powers to make some of the changes that we once did. And even if we all agreed on a famousness test, there would still be people who post in the wrong thread. I'm at the point of thinking some members post in the wrong thread on purpose just to annoy those of us who think things should actually go in a thread with an applicable title, because they clearly read the posts and are not certifiable. Well, not totally.

I pretty much agree with Hein's criteria for what goes where. I'd make an appeal to everyone to adhere, but I might as well suggest everyone e-mails a million pounds to me.

Ok, I'll bite.

Observant users may have noticed that I often move posts from "Near Misses" to "Not Exactly Famous". The criteria I use for such a decision are arbitrary. There are no formal rules, nor would I like it if such rules were to be formally written.

That's not what I was referring to really. I didn't make it clear, sorry.

I was referring to the fact that the "Not Exactly Famous" thread was un-stickied (if there is a correct term, I don't know it!), just as progress was being made. No reason given and I don't know whether that meant we post everyone in Near Misses or not.

Your criteria is fine, and I see you adhere to it, for which I applaud you. Shame others (mods & users) don't seem to, otherwise we wouldn't hav 770 posts of Near Misses by 1st April. <_<

Oh, well. It gave me an opportunity for some pontificating, so it wasn't all useless. <_<

I was referring to the fact that the "Not Exactly Famous" thread was un-stickied (if there is a correct term, I don't know it!), just as progress was being made. No reason given and I don't know whether that meant we post everyone in Near Misses or not.

In IPB jargon the word you're after is 'unpinning'.

If I want to I can try to find who pinned that topic. I have no idea who unpinned it, nor the means to find out, apart from asking.

regards,

Hein

I'd just like to say that I think the mods are doing an excellent, thankless job.

Because I'm a whore.

Just call me 'toenails'.

<_<

Oh, well. It gave me an opportunity for some pontificating, so it wasn't all useless. <_<

In IPB jargon the word you're after is 'unpinning'.

If I want to I can try to find who pinned that topic. I have no idea who unpinned it, nor the means to find out, apart from asking.

regards,

Hein

[edit]I originally pinned it

I've already asked the question 'down the local' but no one has admitted to unpinning it yet, time to pin it again MH?

I've already asked the question 'down the local' but no one has admitted to unpinning it yet, time to pin it again MH?

Consider it done.

regards,

Hein

Guest iain

a truly historical figure has died.Rudolf Vrba is the man who let the world know about Auschwitz and the nazi holocaust.His report on it is considered one of the most importanrt documents of the 20th century.He died on monday aged 81

I suppose I might as well admit to being the one who unpinned the "near misses" thread.

No particularly good reason; I was just a bit fed up of the discussions about which deaths belong in which thread getting in the way of seeing who had actually died.

Whatever.

I suppose I might as well admit to being the one who unpinned the "near misses" thread.

No particularly good reason; I was just a bit fed up of the discussions about which deaths belong in which thread getting in the way of seeing who had actually died.

Whatever.

I see. I've given the subject a bit more thought, and I realised that it's this thread that should be unpinned and the "Not Exactly Famous" topic that ought to be pinned.

Let me explain. The purpose of pinning is to make sure that a topic stays in full view on the first page of the forum, even when it hasn't been posted in recently. Since the "Near Misses" topic get plenty of posts, it won't easily drop from the first page by natural selection. It's the "Not Exactly Famous" that needs that bit of extra attention.

regards,

Hein

Guest iain

I have it on good authority that Coronation Streets Mike Baldwin will die next week.Do fictional characters count on this?

Whatever.

I see. I've given the subject a bit more thought, and I realised that it's this thread that should be unpinned and the "Not Exactly Famous" topic that ought to be pinned.

Let me explain. The purpose of pinning is to make sure that a topic stays in full view on the first page of the forum, even when it hasn't been posted in recently. Since the "Near Misses" topic get plenty of posts, it won't easily drop from the first page by natural selection. It's the "Not Exactly Famous" that needs that bit of extra attention.

regards,

Hein

Now Thats a good idea

Now Thats a good idea

At the risk of sounding post-whorish, I agree too. I actually think you'll see more deaths being reported that way as well.

Or we could just have one thread for reporting deaths and not be too fussy about whether they would have been famous enough to get on the list. Then we would have one definitive list of celebrity deaths for the year which could probably be considered the most complete and authoritative such list on the web and wouldn't contain too much irrelevant material. That's what the near misses thread used to be like anyway.

Then perhaps a second for those who aren't famous at all but died in interesting ways. Which is near enough what VSBfromH intended when he started the Not Exactly Famous thread.

Guest iain

april has started very dissappointingly..not one single death to report of any significance :unsure:

the country singer Penny Jay has died at 80.Anyone heard of her?

Guest iain

3 days into april and the only deaths reported so far are a Japanese comedian and the widow of the guy who tried to blow up Adolf Hitler.Pretty dire stuff...

3 days into april and the only deaths reported so far are a Japanese comedian and the widow of the guy who tried to blow up Adolf Hitler.Pretty dire stuff...

Iain,

well that's a good thing for the families of those that are related to people who are close to death that they haven't died. Unless of course they were universally despised.

And it's a bad thing for the prediction game.

But bear in mind, people have a habit of dying over the Easter weekend.

For some reason Bank Holidays always seem to bring a bumper crop of celebrity deaths

Have to admit I've not heard of Penny Jay whom you mentioned in your earlier post. But then again I'm not a big fan of country music.