Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Guest iain

he must have been famous in Australia if hes getting a state funeral..normally thats reserved for presidents amd queens.Anyway moving on ,the head of the Paris 2012 olympic bid , Alain Danet has died

Anyway moving on ,the head of the Paris 2012 olympic bid , Alain Danet has died

Iain, your link goes straight to a subscription site so I (and probably others) can't actually read the report. Let's see - this one should work...

Alain Danet

Anyway moving on ,the head of the Paris 2012 olympic bid , Alain Danet has died

Iain, your link goes straight to a subscription site so I (and probably others) can't actually read the report. Let's see - this one should work...

Alain Danet

too bad for the frogs our beloved French bretheren that he didn't die at this time last year, because then they might have actually won something.

Also, I noticed that Lyn Nofziger, Ronald Reagan's press secretary has died, aged 81. I edited this fact into my old post, lest I give Star Crossed another reason to whine about post quality, or multiple posts, or post whoring.

Let 'em whine Paulie......the loss of the great Lyn (Franklyn) Nofziger is a monumentous loss, he was a smart intelligent man with a charm and wit that no other adviser before after or since has ever yet had. Also he was quite the sexy gentleman too..... (in a Burl Ives sort of way)

nofziger.jpg

:lol:

Rest soundly my good man knowing theree was amany a nitght that I thought of you and how you saved the world more than once and supported Ronnie through the Governor years and then as President and all the ttime weating that Mickey Mouse tie. The quote summed it up that said Bombay gin, outrageous puns and fierce loyalty to Reagan and Conservatism were Nofziger hallmarkls.

Top celtevrate I will toasts you with a bottle of Bombay gin tonight this verry night.

:(

Goodbye Lyn....................... :rip:

I thought Larry Speakes and Marlin Fitzwater were Reagans press secretaries..I can't recall this Nofziger guy being one of them

Fair enough catch iain. What I should have said was campaign press secretary.

As Mr. Brimley has eulogized for us, however, he was quite a good man no matter what his official title was.

Caspar Weinberger, a former US Defence secretary has died.

Damnit. That ' Guest ' was me. Forgot to log in AGAIN!!! :lol::(

Caspar Weinberger, a former US Defence secretary has died.

Damnit. That ' Guest ' was me. Forgot to log in AGAIN!!! :lol::(

Um...

Given that Mr Weinberger's death has been discussed at length all day, and given the fact that Mr Weinberger is/was in fact on this year's list and therefore not "a miss" at all (near or otherwise), are you sure you want to claim ownership of that particular 'guest' comment?

Given that Mr Weinberger's death has been discussed at length all day, and given the fact that Mr Weinberger is/was in fact on this year's list and therefore not "a miss" at all (near or otherwise), are you sure you want to claim ownership of that particular 'guest' comment?

Hmmm. I am obviously not all here today. I noticed the mention of his death, entered his name in the DL search and came up with no matches, so figured he wasn't on here. My mistake, Sorry. :lol:

Hmmm. I am obviously not all here today. I noticed the mention of his death, entered his name in the DL search and came up with no matches, so figured he wasn't on here. My mistake, Sorry. :lol:

Ah, the ultra reliable DL search, lol.

As a rule of thumb, and not liking being shouted at, I tend not to post anything at all about new deaths. It's such a tricky conundrum, attempting to place them.

'Is it one that we missed/ a near miss/ an ironic death (a minefield all on its own)/ sudden death or one that Iain has already misplaced?'

These are the questions I ask myself each time someone snuffs it and, invariably, I find myself unable to be sure of anything other than the fact that the person in question has snuffed it. Death and taxes and all that...

Which is why you'll always find me lurking in the lesser quality, low brow threads such as caption competitions or Dicky O (although I pride myself on the fact that I have not yet posted in the Docter Docter(sic) thread).

Oh, and in the kitchen at parties... :(

Ah, the ultra reliable DL search, lol.

As a rule of thumb, and not liking being shouted at, I tend not to post anything at all about new deaths. It's such a tricky conundrum, attempting to place them.

'Is it one that we missed/ a near miss/ an ironic death (a minefield all on its own)/ sudden death or one that Iain has already misplaced?'

These are the questions I ask myself each time someone snuffs it and, invariably, I find myself unable to be sure of anything other than the fact that the person in question has snuffed it. Death and taxes and all that...

Which is why you'll always find me lurking in the lesser quality, low brow threads such as caption competitions or Dicky O (although I pride myself on the fact that I have not yet posted in the Docter Docter(sic) thread).

Oh, and in the kitchen at parties... :(

Those are wise words and I think I shall follow your lead and not even try to post about new deaths from now on. :lol:

:rip:

Eugene Landy, the rather controversial psychologist who became famous, and indeed infamous, for his treatment & support to Beach Boys singer Brian Wilson, has died, aged 71. He popped up a lot when there were a lot of documentaries about Wilson's recent return. He was a rock for Wilson to lean on, so I wonder if his death will have a negative effect on Wilson's health.

Anyway, another rambling, link here.

I wonder if his death will have a negative effect on Wilson's health.

I thought from his recent rather static performances (Glastonbury, HRH's bash) it had been determined that BW was already dead!

1.jpg

Eugene Landy, the rather controversial psychologist who became famous, and indeed infamous, for his treatment & support to Beach Boys singer Brian Wilson, has died, aged 71.

Never realised he was that old. Mind you, in pictures of him his face always looked a bit, umm, 'stretched'. 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' by Brian Wilson and Todd Gold is a fantastic read that goes into a huge amount of detail about Dr Landy's methods. Controversial maybe, but Wilson would probably have joined Dennis and Carl by now otherwise.

John McGahern famous Irish author has croaked.......................................... yup, you guessed it, not being an avid book reader, I haven't heard of him either

John McGahern famous Irish author has croaked.......................................... yup, you guessed it, not being an avid book reader, I haven't heard of him either

Would that be the same John McGahern in the "Not famous, but..." thread, perchance? :P:o

Would that be the same John McGahern in the "Not famous, but..." thread, perchance? :lol::P

Yup, the very same person. Who the hell unpinned that thread? :o

I dunno, I found that mystifying & confusing myself. However, I am glad that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard of him, considering the news coverage of his death. And I used to work in a bookshop, so you'd think I would know of him!!

I am hoping though, with all the deaths in twos, that an Irish writer is followed by an Irish leader....

I dunno, I found that mystifying & confusing myself. However, I am glad that I'm not the only one who hasn't heard of him, considering the news coverage of his death. And I used to work in a bookshop, so you'd think I would know of him!!

I am hoping though, with all the deaths in twos, that an Irish writer is followed by an Irish leader....

Shhh, I want him to hang around until May 22 so I can put him on my Rotten Deadpool! :o

Starting May 23, I lose interest, he's all yours.

Peter Shand Kydd , the stepfather of the late Princess Diana has died

I don't say this as it's only Wikipedia that's reporting it right now (in fact that burial info is quite solid information and so I err on the side of it's true), but I find it odd this hasn't been reported more. The link with Princess Bimbo is small, but I would've thought some of the Diana luvvy papers would've reported this online already, seeing he apparently died a week ago.

:o(or maybe it's just been announced - might be in all the broadsheets tomorrow..)

EDIT:

It's in The Times Death Notices - this link may work, but if not, it'll be online soon.

Shand-Kydd Dead

Same link reveals the Earl of Swinton is dead too, whomever he may be.

Well done unknown contributor to Wikipedia & Iain for spotting it before the press!

And I used to work in a bookshop

... probably not something they stocked at "Private"!

Renowned Scottish Sculptor Ian Hamilton Finlay has died aged 80.

Just got an official UCSD email mourning his passing, the second this year after Naim June Pak. Apparentely both had contributed works to the Stuart Art Collection at my university, which is basically the attempt to turn the campus into a giant work of art.

Goes to show the thin line of "Near Misses" and "Not Famous Enough..." Personally, I'd have placed him in the latter catagory, not even having known he was part of my community...

Guest iain

actor Britt Lomond has died.You ,ight know him from the 1950s Zorro series where he played the part of Capitan Monastario