Windsor

Derby Dead Pool 2007

Its only been 24 hours since I heard about the death of Lindsey Hughes but as she died on the 26th of April it looks quite slim that MPFC and I will be adding to our scores.

Oh, its a bit of a body blow. We all could do with some luck to catch NNIGN.

Can I make an open request of any obit' writers working at national newspapers to print something suitable for her please.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Guest

Yeah let's stop NNIGN with the deaths of Messner, Biggs, Castro, Conte, Hazlewood, Melly, Pavarotti, Sharon, and Wyman.

We shall prevail victory! :croosbone:

Guest the worker
Yeah let's stop NNIGN with the deaths of Messner, Biggs, Castro, Conte, Hazlewood, Melly, Pavarotti, Sharon, and Wyman.

Is that your team? In which case good luck :pop:

Or are you planning assassinations? :P

'Cos that looks like incitement to me!

Guest Guest

Is that your team? In which case good luck :P

Or are you planning assassinations? :P

'Cos that looks like incitement to me!

I think it's Rotten Ali's team: STAB_in_the_DARK.

and also, my team name is The end of the world as we know it.

Can I make an open request of any obit' writers working at national newspapers to print something suitable for her please.

Trouble is, RA, thats the trouble with picking nobodies. MPFC was right on the button with her illness, but it was always a risky shot 'cos of her fame.

I think Grobler is very unlucky with June Callwood, and MIB with John Smyth, yet the f*****g Guardian give death row candidates obits!

I honestly don't think NNIGN will win as most of their team are either dead without obits or reprieved and there's only a few more that could, theoretically get obits. I expect that some of the DDP "heavyweights" will bow out before years end and that the competition is still quite wide open.

However NNIGN success is good as it makes it very likely death row/execution candidates will no longer be chosen, which can't be a bad thing.

Stuck an email request to The Times for them to run an obit for Lindsey Hughes and got this message back from them today....

Dear Xxxx Xxxxx,

We are on the case, thanks very much.

Maria Cleminson

The Times Register

Thing is by all accounts she was far from being a "nobody" and her expertise in her field dictates that she really should be recognised at the time of her untimely sad demise.

She was a nobody.

In my opinion you have broken the rules by writing to the media.

It' supposed to be pot luck.

Now they might actually think she is a somebody whereas the truth is that she was someone you heard about only because a friend of a friend of hers got the news she had cancer.

There are professors at every University at the world - are they all somebodies? I don't think so.

She was a nobody.

In my opinion you have broken the rules by writing to the media.

It' supposed to be pot luck.

Now they might actually think she is a somebody whereas the truth is that she was someone you heard about only because a friend of a friend of hers got the news she had cancer.

There are professors at every University at the world - are they all somebodies? I don't think so.

She isn't/wasn't a nobody like you and I are a nobody, Windsor (I apologise if you are indeed famous). Yes there are professors all over the world, but not all of them are world renowned experts in their field, not all of them have published seminal biographies and not all of them are based at UCL, within sniffing distance of the obit hacks in Fleet Street.

Your opinion and the DDP rules are two completely different things, not for the first time. :P

I agree that Lindsey Hughes was far from being a nobody , and deserves an obit....especially cos she was a Brit . Hats off to anyone who picked her....I started a long discussion about her I think on this thread (could have been another thread....could have been a completely different message board....who can remember after a bottle or three of charddonnay?) Anyway....I'm still trying to get over the lack of an obit for June Callwood . What I have learnt , though, is that very famous non Brits may well miss out on the obit .....I'm definately going to stay away from all those foriegners next year (cue racist rants from guests...)

Excuse the spellings....hic....

Stuck an email request to The Times for them to run an obit for Lindsey Hughes and got this message back from them today....

Dear Xxxx Xxxxx,

We are on the case, thanks very much.

Maria Cleminson

The Times Register

Thing is by all accounts she was far from being a "nobody" and her expertise in her field dictates that she really should be recognised at the time of her untimely sad demise.

Yes, perhaps so, but that's a bit naughty, RA. Not against the rules, per se, but not really in the spirit of things.

However, by their reply, an obit was coming anyway, so it's not as if RA has produced one when one was not going to happen.

However, I would be far more outraged by this behaviour if I hadn't already got contacts & a firm commitment at the Telegraph to do obits for Les Leston & Hans Ruesch. :P:P

And what about Abu Ayyub al-Masri, loads of obits but no body. I've been on fretting about it for nearly 48 hours now :P

Trouble is, RA, thats the trouble with picking nobodies. MPFC was right on the button with her illness, but it was always a risky shot 'cos of her fame.

I think Grobler is very unlucky with June Callwood, and MIB with John Smyth, yet the f*****g Guardian give death row candidates obits!

I honestly don't think NNIGN will win as most of their team are either dead without obits or reprieved and there's only a few more that could, theoretically get obits. I expect that some of the DDP "heavyweights" will bow out before years end and that the competition is still quite wide open.

However NNIGN success is good as it makes it very likely death row/execution candidates will no longer be chosen, which can't be a bad thing.

Yes...there's no justice is there, except for those on...er...Death Row!

:P

I've kept a diplomatic silence on Lindsey Hughes but given the debate feel it pertinent to make a comment. The truth is the 'we're on the case' comment may well refer to a pre-prepared obit. At least two of the quality papers - Times and Independent - aware of her illness, had stuff in readiness. So I don't think Ali's intervention makes a difference. Problem is, sometimes pre-prepared stuff doesn't get used if there are other pressing dead 'uns.

Professors and the like, especially those eminent in their field, get obits because their details tend to be in the public domain and make the compiling of regularly updated obits fairly easy. She was in that league. UCL is significant, their school of Slavonic Studies a centre of excellence and Lindsey Hughes a significant force in its recent history. So - for example - if David Lodge dropped dead this second, he'd have a full obit tomorrow. If the 'professor' of anything at the Univeristy of Chester died on the other hand.....

David Lodge is fine, so far as I know, mind.

Re the obituary in 'a national newspaper' in the UK, Times Educational Supplement and Times Higher Educational Supplement are out - nationally - tomorrow. They'll run her obit for sure.

Lindsey Hughes now has an UK obit in the Independent

I had Poston on HDP, not DDP, but does this count as a UK obit for DDP purposes?

And apologies for my ignorance, but I'm guessing that this for Rita Widdecombe is considered local/regional?

I had Poston on HDP, not DDP, but does this count as a UK obit for DDP purposes?

And apologies for my ignorance, but I'm guessing that this for Rita Widdecombe is considered local/regional?

Put it this way CP, you can't buy Kent News over the counter in Maryport or Carlisle's Evening News and Star down there.

Both don't apply to DDP, no.

The DDP guys have put a "List of the Lost" which says what is needed, in terms of obits, so refer to that in future, if you're not sure.

Well done to those who selected Hughes, btw.

Now that's a nice obit. One, she was totally intitled to by all accounts.

Both don't apply to DDP, no.

The DDP guys have put a "List of the Lost" which says what is needed, in terms of obits, so refer to that in future, if you're not sure.

Well done to those who selected Hughes, btw.

Talking of Lists of the Lost: My Computer crashed a couple of days ago and I had to re-set my operating system, losing my 250 strong Deathlist database in the process.... :)

The team fra Maryport extend a big high five to our esteemed brother Mr Ali!!!

The team fra Maryport extend a big high five to our esteemed brother Mr Ali!!!

Your made the call - its all down to you thanks MPFC - it was a close one for sure and re-enforces the addeige that you should only pick people you find yourself with good research rather than rely on one quote sources from well placed co-hoates. Still we only get maximum twenty picks in the DDP and if any do die they all need to count to have any outside chance of getting a win.

Yes, because it's a matter of life and death....

Must have been a slow news day...

Yes, because it's a matter of life and death....

Must have been a slow news day...

I telt yers a day or two back, The Independent had that one drawn up and ready to go ages back. A paper read by many an academic and - therefore - always likely to give her a passable send off.