Death Star

Cliff Michelmore

Guest Guest

how much money would your friend accept to press down on the accelerator next time? ;)

So er, did he present any other "Play for the Day" episodes, or was the moon landings the only one?

So er, did he present any other "Play for the Day" episodes, or was the moon landings the only one?

Google is your only friend

• Like 1

Hey Phantom, if you're so sensitive that you hate me that much, I'll leave just cos you said that if you want. :)

Hey Phantom, if you're so sensitive that you hate me that much, I'll leave just cos you said that if you want. :)

Sounds good to me.

Okay...... don't get too excited, I meant take a break. Just until either your bum-rash wears off, or the day when your wife comes on and says "I know Steve posted here, well he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers today, so I'm afraid..........." etc. Whichever is first.

Okay...... don't get too excited, I meant take a break. Just until either your bum-rash wears off, or the day when your wife comes on and says "I know Steve posted here, well he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers today, so I'm afraid..........." etc. Whichever is first.

Don't hold your breath then, But in the meantime "how to find information on Cliff Michelmore"

That`s the thing with Cliff. He has been out of the limelight for decades and I doubt anyone under 40 remembers him.I had no idea who he was until I found this site.

• Like 1

First journalist on the scene at the Aberfan disaster as he lived down the road.

Actually, Cliff is a familiar face to any psephology nerds (yes they do exist) as he chairs the BBC coverage of the 1966 and 1970 general elections.

He also hosted the BBC coverage of the moon landings, which we've lost. And which presumably hardly anyone saw, as on ITV, they had AJP Taylor and Sammy Davis Jr arguing over the moon landings being faked or not. With, incredibly, Taylor as the skeptic! (And they've lost that too.)

A hat-trick of useless information.

• Like 1

A hot topic of office banter of late, with some suggesting Google is a cynical commercial behemoth offering user friendly services. I.e. it's highly useful but not our friend cos - like Facebook - it's really there to get rich and fat off our needs.

No office banter to report re Cliff Mitchelmore, mind.

First journalist on the scene at the Aberfan disaster as he lived down the road.

Actually, Cliff is a familiar face to any psephology nerds (yes they do exist) as he chairs the BBC coverage of the 1966 and 1970 general elections.

He also hosted the BBC coverage of the moon landings, which we've lost. And which presumably hardly anyone saw, as on ITV, they had AJP Taylor and Sammy Davis Jr arguing over the moon landings being faked or not. With, incredibly, Taylor as the skeptic! (And they've lost that too.)

A hat-trick of useless information.

Never knew that. Not too far from Aberfan myself here

If you add the four double-digit figures in the date of Aberfan together (21 + 10 + 19 + 66), you get 116, the number of children who died.

96 today! :birthday::birthday2:

Whoo-hoo

So, does he roll over into DL 2016?

Whoo-hoo

We'll know in 20 days.

Whoo-hoo

Well he aint going to be running into it is he!!

Poor old sod will probably more shuffle than roll tbf.

Guest Guested

Unbelievable to think watching the videos on YouTube of him presenting the 1966 General Election programme that he would still be around 50 years later, he looked old then and everything about TV is SO different now. In the nicest possible way, he's a true relic of a bygone age. It's the equivalent of Huw Edwards being on the 2058 deathlist.

Guest Robin Hill

I also found him dull and middle-aged when I was a child in the sixties. Saw a 1964 clip of him interviewing a youthful David Bowie during yesterday's tributes. I don't think there will be the same public outpouring of grief when Cliff Michelmore finally shuffles off into the sunset. Strange to think that the whole country was mesmerised by the fact that he and his late wife Jean Metcalfe were brought together over the airwaves via Family Favourites (before I was born)

Guest Dave the Cardboard Box

Cliff Michelmore was probably one of the most famous people in Britain for many years, when there were only two TV channels.

He was the 'go to man' for most occasions and handled everything professionally and always with good humour.

But the most outstanding thing I remember is him introducing a young Jimi Hendrix onto the Tonight programme, his first TV experience.

Jimi proceeded to blow away Cliff and us watching by his playing, including playing behind his back and with his teeth. He came across as a novelty act, but the music blew me away.

Giving their first public appearances to David Bowie and Jimi Hendrix (and lots of others) is just a small part of the legacy of Cliff Michelmore. I hope he gets into the lists of future years.

Guest Laura Michelmore

This man you are talking about is my grandpa do speak kindly please

This man you are talking about is my grandpa do speak kindly please

From what I can gather your Grandfather is a consummate professional who has had a remarkable career.I hope he is doing well these days.This is a prediction game primarily and not a wish list.

• Like 3

One of the very few to be the anchor on the BBC's General Election TV coverage (1966 & 1970).

Guest Laura Michelmore

Thank you very much for all your kind words he would be delighted to know he is so highly thought upon in this generation

Thank you very much for all your kind words he would be delighted to know he is so highly thought upon in this generation

No problem.I have seen some of his coverage of general elections and the moon landing as I am a history nerd:P and I recently saw him interviewing a young David Bowie in about 1964.I can send you the link if you haven`t seen it.