Paul Bearer

Jacques Brel's Imitation Jelly Jewellery

MMM would lend itself to a truly inspired video. Just like a current fave video in MPFC Towers.
by Napalm Death.

Not bad. But it drags a bit in the middle.

Had a brief search but couldn't find a specific thread to chat about music, particularly of the artier variety - if there is one please bung this in there, musical mods. Anyway, was just watching the Scott Walker doc on BBC - very interesting bloke, even though I'd rather listen to Metal Machine Music 24 hours a day than hear most of his later stuff just the once. Ignoramous though I most undoubtedly am. I expect a firm rebuttal from Anubis at any moment.

Music? Of the 'artier' variety?

So this would be the place to discuss the Wurzels then, would it?

Cheers,

BHB

Had a brief search but couldn't find a specific thread to chat about music, particularly of the artier variety - if there is one please bung this in there, musical mods. Anyway, was just watching the Scott Walker doc on BBC - very interesting bloke, even though I'd rather listen to Metal Machine Music 24 hours a day than hear most of his later stuff just the once. Ignoramous though I most undoubtedly am. I expect a firm rebuttal from Anubis at any moment.

Music? Of the 'artier' variety?

So this would be the place to discuss the Wurzels then, would it?

Cheers,

BHB

It would. What'd you like say about them - that Never Mind the Bullocks is the acme of postmodern popular music and that their version of Tubthumping is the single greatest artistic creation of the Western hemisphere? Something like that?

Oh no, much, much deeper than that.

I'd like to hold an intellectual discussion, nay, debate over the possible aspects of abuse in the lyrics to 'Blackbird.'

I'd especially like to draw attention to the line 'with a great big stick I'll knock him down, blackbird I'll have 'ee!'

Blackbird beatings might be common practice on the cider soaked fields around Bristol, but I feel the RSPB should be notified. Perhaps Mister Blair could look into it before he departs? If he's got time, like, during his global farewell tour.

Cheers,

BHB

I just bought a double CD set of the music of Laurel & Hardy .... great stuff.

More truly meaningful guff...

Weird Al Yankovic

His "James Blunt" is a classic :lol:

My tipster acquaintance Mr Armitage Shanks wanted to get something off his ample chest and dictated the following down the blower:

"It's a crying shame there appears to be no access to the beautiful, inspiring music of Ronnie Hazlehurst on the new compact disc format (I have several of his records on 78 but alas the infernal machine went up the spout in 1979). In my view, Sir Ronald is up there with Elgar, Britten and Tippett amongst our country's finest composers - for example, his seminal Theme from Are You Being Served is one seriously funky tune, and one which I'm told had a big influence on The Pink Floyd's song Money, whoever they might be. The Two Ronnies (no relation) credits, Reggie Perrin, Yes Minister, Bergerac - classics as far as the eye can see. And as for Theme to Blankety Blank, well, it's 38 seconds of pure aural heaven.

I'll state here and now that I would pay at least £3.99 plus p+p to get my sweaty palms on The Greatest Hits of Ronnie Hazlehurst, so I implore any record label bods out there to put the wheels in motion"

Yours ever,

Armitage Shanks

Well down page two of this thread and we haven't even mentioned the towering talents of

Well down page two of this thread and we haven't even mentioned the towering talents of

Dick Cheese? Sounds familiar......

I could live in this thread.

Today I have mostly been listening to:

Albert Hammond's The Free Electric Band,

Atlas, by those Glitter Band-esque math-rockers Battles,

Happy When It Rains - Mary Chain.

It's been raining all day, but I've been relatively happy.

Just merged this thread with HarryMacs musique one. I hope that doesn't lead to incomprehensibility or dissatisfaction as it'd be a bugger of a job getting them apart again.

Can't stand the stuff personally. :crossbone:

Just merged this thread with HarryMacs musique one. I hope that doesn't lead to incomprehensibility or dissatisfaction as it'd be a bugger of a job getting them apart again.

Can't stand the stuff personally. :crossbone:

No probs with the merge, but can we have a pretentious title for the thread please? Favourite Songs just doesnt do it for me.

but can we have a pretentious title for the thread please? Favourite Songs just doesnt do it for me.

Kurrisst! What happened to the name of this thread? :crossbone: And who the hell is Jacques Brel?

but can we have a pretentious title for the thread please? Favourite Songs just doesnt do it for me.

Kurrisst! What happened to the name of this thread? :crossbone: And who the hell is Jacques Brel?

A famous dead Belgian who could perspire and cry fluently in either French or Flemmish. I'd say this may be his best known example of sweating, crying and singing. They're quite fond of him in France.

Kurrisst! What happened to the name of this thread? :lol: And who the hell is Jacques Brel?

Not merely a sweaty Bilingual Belgian, but the man who wrote (or co-wrote) the songs that became 'Seasons in the Sun' (Le moribond) and 'The Impossible Dream' (La quete).

This is my all time favorite band -

I got up this morning fed up, f**ked off and hung over but finding this on You Tube really cheered me up ;)

Kurrisst! What happened to the name of this thread? :o And who the hell is Jacques Brel?

A famous dead Belgian who could perspire and cry fluently in either French or Flemmish. I'd say this may be his best known example of sweating, crying and singing. They're quite fond of him in France.

Or German, the third official language on account of the German community, who are also Belgian, in the North East of the country. Nothing is ever simple in Belgium.

I am neglecting of course the Italian and Polish communities who emigrated here to work in the mines - I am sure there are probably those who wish to set up even more governments here in Belgium to represent them. (Wallonia, Flandres and the Germanophones all have their own governments as does the autonomous region of Brussels before you even get to the national level!)

George Martin, among many, has always reckoned the White Album would make a cracking single album.

So, if you were to whittle the original 30 down to 12, what would you pick?

Mine would be (in no particular order):

Back in the USSR

Julia

Let's Be Natural Dear Prudence

Why Dont we do it in the Road

I'm So Tired

Blackbird

Happiness is a Warm Gun

Everybody's Got Something to Hide etc

Revolution #1

Long long long

Revolution #9 (honest!!)

Mother Nature's Son

Apologies that this is in no way related to the DL.

That Lennon eh, he got shot dead, innit.

George Martin, among many, has always reckoned the White Album would make a cracking single album.

So, if you were to whittle the original 30 down to 12, what would you pick?

Mine would be (in no particular order):

Back in the USSR

Julia

Let's Be Natural Dear Prudence

Why Dont we do it in the Road

I'm So Tired

Blackbird

Happiness is a Warm Gun

Everybody's Got Something to Hide etc

Revolution #1

Long long long

Revolution #9 (honest!!)

Mother Nature's Son

Apologies that this is in no way related to the DL.

That Lennon eh, he got shot dead, innit.

Don't Pass Me By

Julia

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Back in the USSR

Revolution No 1

Honey Pie

Cry Baby Cry

Dear Prudence

Why Don't We Do It In The Road

Bungalow Bill

Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da

Everybody....Monkey

Twelve you say? Well I'll have to stop there...

Mine...?

Side 1) Slowed down audio of John Lennon being shot, George Harrison being stabbed and Ringo, pissed in the gutter, puking his pancreas out.

Side 2) Paul McCartney having his testicles slowly squeezed in a jewellers vice. for half an hour.

Mine...?

Side 1) Slowed down audio of John Lennon being shot, George Harrison being stabbed and Ringo, pissed in the gutter, puking his pancreas out.

Side 2) Paul McCartney having his testicles slowly squeezed in a jewellers vice. for half an hour.

So you've heard Lennon's first three albums with Yoko, then?

Disgusting. I think you need time out in the corner. Mommy should get the wooden spoon.

The creativity and cruelty of ones mind. Strange, but priceless.