Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy Ronnie

Movie Stars - Two Trilogies?

Michael York.

The Musketeers trilogy and the Austin Powers Trilogy.

I think York's current work on the 'Quantum' series is linked to an intended trilogy of films. He has two listed on his IMDB page, but I think the final intention is three.

As UFO spotters say to strange lights Tempus; 'Stop and be friendly.' Nice to see you posting with a semblance of passion again.

What about Sigourney Weaver?

Alien

Aliens

Alien 3

Alien: Resurrection

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters II

That averages out as two trilogies.

I'm not sure I quite get the hang of this game :lol:

Cowboy Ronnie wrote:

For that reason, I guess we'll allow Leslie Phillips, whom I imagine played different characters in the Carry On and Doctors films (or did he? I've never seen either).

Never seen either? I'll let you off the Doctor series, but never seen a Carry On film? Never seen a Carry On film? How did you manage that? Was it a conscious choice or was your father perhaps a failed sixties/seventies comedian who auditioned, failed & subsequently vowed never to allow his offspring to watch a Peter Rogers production?

I may well be biased, being the proud owner of all the series on DVD (as well as numerous items of memorabilia), but I find it an incredible feat indeed for anyone to have avoided the Carry On films throughout their life.

I feel you should be brought over to the dark side, CR, & kidnapped from the supermarket car park by a black van with tinted windows & whisked away to a secure location where you will be repeatedly subjected to glimpses of Barbara Windsor's saggy breasts, Kenneth Williams paving the way for Dale Winton & Graham Norton & Sid James ogling fit young tarts with big knockers in a manner which would see him on a list these days.

Never seen a Carry On film? As Frankie Howerd once said, 'never has my flabber been so ghasted!'

The Carry On films were/indeed are a rite of passage to generation after generation of pre-pubescents and hormonally challenged teenagers, as well as being f*****g funny to adults to boot. I fear that your bypass of the genre might have led to your development being hampered in such a way that I suspect you might in fact be Tony Blair.

Or Clare Short, posing online as a man.

Never seen a Carry On film? f**k me, man, sort it out. That's like stating you've never masturbated. Or something. Anyway, after all that, you'll no doubt be pleased to learn that I have nothing to offer in the way of actors and double trilogies, or whatever it is.

Although...I was thinking, but I read we can't Google, what about Charlie Chaplin? There's his tramp character, but surely he was another character in another trilogy of films?

I don't know, but I've seen all the Carry On films.

You've never seen a Carry On film? What, really?

Cheers (not to mention a tad disillusioned with certain moderators...)

BHB

Curiously, at six foot five wiki/Guiness Book of Records claims he's the world's tallest leading actor, tied with Vince Vaughan. Has there never been a leading actor taller than this? Sounds suspiciously like bullsh!t to me.

When I saw this, I first thought of Lock Martin aka Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. I suppose it depends on your definition of "leading actor." I always thought of a leading actor as someone major in a piece, not necessarily as the protagonist. Either way, Martin probably doesn't qualify... but I'm sure that the sky isn't 6'5".

By the way OoO, Jimmy Stewart was only 6'3", but I agree, he seemed taller.

Christopher Lloyd for the Back to the Future Trilogy and the three Addams Family films (actually he may only be in the first two but without being to look that up I can't be sure)

Curiously, at six foot five wiki/Guiness Book of Records claims he's the world's tallest leading actor, tied with Vince Vaughan. Has there never been a leading actor taller than this? Sounds suspiciously like bullsh!t to me.

When I saw this, I first thought of Lock Martin aka Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. I suppose it depends on your definition of "leading actor." I always thought of a leading actor as someone major in a piece, not necessarily as the protagonist. Either way, Martin probably doesn't qualify... but I'm sure that the sky isn't 6'5".

Bruce Spence, played the lead role in 'Stork', he is 6' 7" tall. (And he was in the aforementioned Mad Max 3)

Best known as "Jaws" in the James Bond films, Richard Kiel (7' 2") wrote and starred in 'The Giant of Thunder Mountain' he is the tallest ever actor to have played a leading role.

(Kiel looks awful in his Wiki photo, giants aren't renowned for living to a great age - I'll be keeping an eye on him)

Neither of them have starred in any trilogies so far as I know. I was thinking possibly Arnold Schwarzenegger? He was in Terminator 1,2 and 3 and weren't there 3 'Predator' or 'Conan The Barbarian' films?

I am trying to think of a Potter actor. First I thought I was on to a winner with Alan Rickman then remembered a key point that he died in in the first Die Hard film- haven't seen the others but guessing he is not in them.

So my call is for Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon and Mad Max.

I will continue to ponder over Potter!

Warwick Davis was Prof. Flitwick in three or more Potter movies and he was in at least three of the Leprechaun movies. Can't remember his character's name though.

Cowboy Ronnie wrote:

For that reason, I guess we'll allow Leslie Phillips, whom I imagine played different characters in the Carry On and Doctors films (or did he? I've never seen either).

Never seen either? I'll let you off the Doctor series, but never seen a Carry On film? Never seen a Carry On film? How did you manage that? Was it a conscious choice or was your father perhaps a failed sixties/seventies comedian who auditioned, failed & subsequently vowed never to allow his offspring to watch a Peter Rogers production?

I may well be biased, being the proud owner of all the series on DVD (as well as numerous items of memorabilia), but I find it an incredible feat indeed for anyone to have avoided the Carry On films throughout their life.

I feel you should be brought over to the dark side, CR, & kidnapped from the supermarket car park by a black van with tinted windows & whisked away to a secure location where you will be repeatedly subjected to glimpses of Barbara Windsor's saggy breasts, Kenneth Williams paving the way for Dale Winton & Graham Norton & Sid James ogling fit young tarts with big knockers in a manner which would see him on a list these days.

Never seen a Carry On film? As Frankie Howerd once said, 'never has my flabber been so ghasted!'

The Carry On films were/indeed are a rite of passage to generation after generation of pre-pubescents and hormonally challenged teenagers, as well as being f*****g funny to adults to boot. I fear that your bypass of the genre might have led to your development being hampered in such a way that I suspect you might in fact be Tony Blair.

Or Clare Short, posing online as a man.

Never seen a Carry On film? f**k me, man, sort it out. That's like stating you've never masturbated. Or something. Anyway, after all that, you'll no doubt be pleased to learn that I have nothing to offer in the way of actors and double trilogies, or whatever it is.

Although...I was thinking, but I read we can't Google, what about Charlie Chaplin? There's his tramp character, but surely he was another character in another trilogy of films?

I don't know, but I've seen all the Carry On films.

You've never seen a Carry On film? What, really?

Cheers (not to mention a tad disillusioned with certain moderators...)

BHB

Well said sir, I speak as someone who also has watched every Carry On inumerable times. May Kenneth Williams' nostrils remain forever flared in pompous indignation.

I was surprised to find that of the living Carry On crew, Peter Gilmore is the joint leader (with Jim Dale) with 11 appearances, though in mostly minor roles. The other recognisable regular still with us is Jack Douglas (80 yrs), while Julian Holloway, who was in 8 Carry Ons but usually bit-parts, is only 63. Oops, nearly forgot 'national institution' Babs there, who lent her assets to 10 of the series.

Long may they all run.

That's a bit like saying that Rembrandt paved the way for that bloke who painted the picture of the crying Pierrot

Kenneth Williams paving the way for Dale Winton & Graham Norton

Never seen a Carry On film?

Only moved back to the UK in the late '80's, and have plenty of holes in my British cultural learning. I've seen flashes (eh?) of Carry On films, the most lasting probably being Barbara Windsor standing in a field and the wind whipping her top off.

So anyway, does Leslie Phillips play the same character in the films? He needs to be more than just "the cad", he needs to be the same cad to qualify as a correct answer.

Never seen a Carry On film?

Only moved back to the UK in the late '80's, and have plenty of holes in my British cultural learning. I've seen flashes (eh?) of Carry On films, the most lasting probably being Barbara Windsor standing in a field and the wind whipping her top off.

So anyway, does Leslie Phillips play the same character in the films? He needs to be more than just "the cad", he needs to be the same cad to qualify as a correct answer.

No-one played the same character in the Carry Ons, just limited variations on a generic type eg Sid James was a dirty old lech as Henry VIII, Mark Antony, The Black Fingernail, Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond and, indeed, The Rumpo Kid. Leslie Philips did play the same character in two of his three Doctor appearances, although I'm not sure the original question actually required them to have done so. I'll stop now, before I get a rep as a Carry On spotter - which I am not, ooooh no matron!!

(PS Babs's top flew off as a result of aerobic activity, nothing to do with the weather)

Well said sir, I speak as someone who also has watched every Carry On inumerable times. May Kenneth Williams' nostrils remain forever flared in pompous indignation.

Kenneth Williams' nostrils & Sid James thoroughly dirty chuckle have by themselves caused many hours of happiness in our household. My clear favourite is still Carry On Matron. Not only are Kenneth Cope & Terry Scott on fine form but Kenneth Williams is magnificent in that one & some of the one-liners, especially from him, in that one are among the best.

I'm not going to rank it as one of my top movies of all time, but I'll happily sit down & watch it any time it appears on TV.

Carry On films taught me a lot about how I live my life today. :lol:

Kenneth Williams' nostrils & Sid James thoroughly dirty chuckle have by themselves caused many hours of happiness in our household. My clear favourite is still Carry On Matron. Not only are Kenneth Cope & Terry Scott on fine form but Kenneth Williams is magnificent in that one & some of the one-liners, especially from him, in that one are among the best.

I'm not going to rank it as one of my top movies of all time, but I'll happily sit down & watch it any time it appears on TV.

Carry On films taught me a lot about how I live my life today. :lol:

Me too, to all of that! The ttG family have most recently been watching Carry on Doctor. The mini ttG's now have a repertoire of quotes including, from carry on Doctor :

Babs, going up to ambulance man eating pear: 'Ooh what a lovely pear'

Ambulance man eating pear: 'You took the words right out of my mouth'

That's a bit like saying that Rembrandt paved the way for that bloke who painted the picture of the crying Pierrot
Kenneth Williams paving the way for Dale Winton & Graham Norton

Erm, no, it's not really...

What I was trying to say, probably not very well, is that the likes of Williams & Howerd et al were significant in camp homosexuals eventually becoming acceptable mainstream with regards to televison etc.

I think I'm right in saying that back when they were first treading the boards, so to speak, homosexuality was illegal, so they certainly played their part- along with other factors, obviously.

But then, Anubis, you should know by now that nothing I say is even worth quoting, let alone dissecting and analysing. :lol:

Cheers,

BHB

ok, the only actress who appears to be a correct answer to the question is Talia Shire, who played Rocky's girlfriend/wife in the first five Rocky movies, and sister Connie in the three Godfather films.

Bruce Spence, played the lead role in 'Stork', he is 6' 7" tall. (And he was in the aforementioned Mad Max 3)

Best known as "Jaws" in the James Bond films, Richard Kiel (7' 2") wrote and starred in 'The Giant of Thunder Mountain' he is the tallest ever actor to have played a leading role.

(Kiel looks awful in his Wiki photo, giants aren't renowned for living to a great age - I'll be keeping an eye on him)

Neither of them have starred in any trilogies so far as I know. I was thinking possibly Arnold Schwarzenegger? He was in Terminator 1,2 and 3 and weren't there 3 'Predator' or 'Conan The Barbarian' films?

I'm not sure there were 3 Conan films but didn't he pop up in Red Sonia (sic?) which was the female spin off of Conan?

Hugo Weaving - Agent Smith in the Matrix and Elrond in LOTR