harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

American Football Players

Larry Garron, an original member of the Boston Patriots, died at age 82, the team announced Saturday.

Garron, who was born in 1937, attended Western Illinois before joining the Patriots for their inaugural season in 1960. He played with the team through 1968, finishing his career with 2,891 rushing yards, which is ninth on the team’s all-time list.  The running back also holds the record for the longest rush in team history with an 85-yard scamper against Buffalo in 1961. He was a four-time American Football League All-Star and a member of the Patriots All-1960s team.
SC

• Like 1

Howard Cassady, College Football Hall of Famer and Heisman Winner dead at 85.

George Brancato, a Canadian Football League legend as both player and coach, has died.  He was 88.  Brancato, long associated with the Ottawa Rough Riders, also played some with the Montreal Alouettes as wall as the NFL's Chicago Cardinals.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/ottawa-cfl-legend-george-brancato-died-at-age-88

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

George Brancato, a Canadian Football League legend as both player and coach, has died.  He was 88.  Brancato, long associated with the Ottawa Rough Riders, also played some with the Montreal Alouettes as wall as the NFL's Chicago Cardinals.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/ottawa-cfl-legend-george-brancato-died-at-age-88

Ah, those were the days. 9 teams in the league, and 2 of them were named Rough Riders. Although one wrote theirs as Roughriders.

If you bet on the rough riders, and didn't spell it out, you couldn't lose at the 1976 Grey Cup.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Ah, those were the days. 9 teams in the league, and 2 of them were named Rough Riders. Although one wrote theirs as Roughriders.

If you bet on the rough riders, and didn't spell it out, you couldn't lose at the 1976 Grey Cup.

I can name more Montreal Alouettes from the 1970s/80s than I can players who've been with them the past decade.  Somehow, the league isn't what it once was.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Washington Redskins player Trent Williams just had a rare brain cancer removed

Well done.

Jim LeClair, College Football Hall of Famer who played for the Cincinnati Bengals for 12 seasons dead at 69.

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Charles Rogers, a former Michigan State All-American and Detroit Lions star, has died.  He was 38.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/11/11/charles-rogers-former-michigan-state-detroit-lions-star-dies/2560725001/

Stunning.  38 ugh.

Big star at Michigan State Univ and unfortunately overdrafted by the dumbass Detroit Lions in the 1st round (3rd overall I think) and when he turned out to be a below average professional player (bad work ethic iirc, drugs prolly) his abilities never recovered and he washed out of the NFL never reaching his potential.  Not an uncommon theme for players from Michigan State, frankly.

Sad demise, I’ll assume drug related since they’re not saying.  RIP

SirC

(upon re-read he was 2nd overall pick, thank you fucking Matt Millen who now outlives Mr Rogers).

5 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

George Atkinson III passed away at 27 years:

https://schooltips.com.ng/george-atkinson-iii-passed-away-obituary-cause-of-death/

He played for Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs and New York Jets.

Bad bad year for former Oakland Raiders (which TomTom forgot to mention).  
https://schooltips.com.ng/george-atkinson-iii-passed-away-obituary-cause-of-death/

Not just one player - but a whole TEAM!

Jacksonville University has decided to discontinue its football program.

The Dolphins have participated in the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League since 1998. They finished 3-9 this season, the fourth under coach Ian Shields.

The school is offering full tuition scholarships to every football player who chooses to stay until graduation. The university also will honor the contracts of all football coaches and assist in their job searches.

SC

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Not just one player - but a whole TEAM!

Jacksonville University has decided to discontinue its football program.

The Dolphins have participated in the non-scholarship Pioneer Football League since 1998. They finished 3-9 this season, the fourth under coach Ian Shields.

The school is offering full tuition scholarships to every football player who chooses to stay until graduation. The university also will honor the contracts of all football coaches and assist in their job searches.

SC

People were getting annoyed at AO Guy for posting about deaths at a horse track, but nobody bats an eye at this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banana said:

People were getting annoyed at AO Guy for posting about deaths at a horse track, but nobody bats an eye at this?

Most likely explanation - most people have SC blocked, therefore didn't see it until you quoted it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, time said:

Most likely explanation - most people have SC blocked, therefore didn't see it until you quoted it.

Plus none  most  many of us have no interest in "American Football".

2 hours ago, time said:

No one has me blocked.  But it would be an honour.
There isn't a damn thing wrong with my post, @Banana.  It's perfectly on topic.  Was going to put in 'company' thread but made more sense here.  Eejit.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Plus none  most  many of us have no interest in "American Football".

Ok get off your high horse (pun intended). Just because you have interest in a topic doesn't mean you get to dictate what can be included in the topic discussion. This is the Deathlist section of the forums and your interest in any of the topics here is redundant to anybody but yourself. For example, if I don't like "soccer", I'm not going to ignore putting any "soccer" players on my pool teams. 

No one has me blocked.  But it would be an honour.
There isn't a damn thing wrong with my post, @Banana.  It's perfectly on topic.  Was going to put in 'company' thread but made more sense here.  Eejit.

It isn't on topic. The thread is "American Football Players", not "Football organizations that seized operations". This has nothing to do with anything relating to death. Where it does belong is the extra curricular Football thread, yet no one cares about a sub-division 1 school seizing their football operations so maybe it should stay on Google News.

Now this reply might seem hypocritical based on my reply to Toast, however I feel this is a different situation as AO Guy's posts were on topic. They related to actual deaths and yours does not. You're also free to post whatever you wish, I'm only pointing out the hypocrisy.

• Sad 1

On 03/12/2019 at 20:51, Banana said:

Ok get off your high horse (pun intended)

*snip*

Banana you are the meanest person on DL :(

• Haha 1

Banana you are the meanest person on DL :(

He's only kind of hard and bitter on the outside. On the inside he's soft and sweet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

While watching the Tennessee/Houston NFL game today, the announcer said former HOFer Ken Houston was having health problems. I can't confirm anything online....but that's what he said.  Ken Houston is 75.
SC

Hayden Fry, College Football Hall of Famer and longtime University of Iowa coach, dead at 90 according to the university and multiple reports. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/college-sports/university-of-iowa-says-former-football-coach-hayden-fry-has-died-at-age-90-after-a-long-battle-with-cancer/2019/12/17/a0fe3eaa-213d-11ea-b034-de7dc2b5199b_story.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Herman Boone, the coach of the T. C. Williams High School football team who was portrayed by Denzel Washington in the film Remember the Titans which is based on the team, has died at 84. (Mail QO)

(I rewrote that sentence a few times)

• Like 1