6 minutes ago, TQR said:

Hide contents

Rouse (v.) To excite, anger, prime or wake

I got it in 3.

Deathray had a habit of rousing the forum with his antics.

Good old word, one I like.

• Like 2

Sorted nvm

Just now, TQR said:

Spoilers @msc!!

I was editing them in manually due to mobile version fail.

50 minutes ago, TQR said:

Reveal hidden contents

Rouse (v.) To excite, anger, prime or wake

I got it in 3.

I got it in 4, so I sort of sympathise (no I don't, it's definitely a word in common usage).

Spoiler

image.png.b0173345861f3538e2c2602b3110fbd4.png

• Like 2

Quite easy given what I'd eliminated already.  I agree it's not an uncommon word. 

Where I have trouble is when they pick Americanisms.

image.png.874a582917d8e72f72f8c5ac8f736013.png

• Like 2

I know there are some here who'd sooner chew their own fingers off and then claw their eyes out with the bloody stumps than look at The Guardian website, but if you're not one of those, the Thursday quiz this week is on notable figures we've lost (sic) this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, time said:

I know there are some here who'd sooner chew their own fingers off and then claw their eyes out with the bloody stumps than look at The Guardian website, but if you're not one of those, the Thursday quiz this week is on notable figures we've lost (sic) this year.

9/15. Got all the birth-related ones right, thanks to Wikipedia living in the back of my brain. A few weeks ago I rhymed off Honey G's full name and that was embarrassing.

1 hour ago, time said:

IMG_8534.jpeg.2953770861ba8ccc06b95de0e64b645a.jpeg

Questions 4-10 were a string of complete guesses and I somehow managed to get four of them right.

1 hour ago, time said:

Managed to get 9/15, with multiple ones I had to guess. Could've been 10 but tricked myself by overthinking the Charlton question.

I got 13, with a couple of guesses.  Slipped up on Perry (never watched Friends) and Darling (never taken much interest in politics).

8/15. I only truly knew Tina Turner's birth name. A few others stuck in my mind from writing the DDP obits, then a couple lucky guesses.

11/15, got lucky with my guesses then fucked it up.

2 hours ago, Toast said:

I got 13, with a couple of guesses.  Slipped up on Perry (never watched Friends) and Darling (never taken much interest in politics).

Also 13. I got the Betty Boothroyd and Alistair Darling ones wrong. I had lucky guesses with The Smiths and Sinead O'Connor questions. 

I got 13, missing out on the Matthew Perry & Betty Boothroyd questions. The Sinead O'Connor and Smiths questions were one's I wasn't 100% sure of but opted for the right answer. Some of them I got right because I recognised the answer in the multiple choice (e.g. Mystic Meg's real name - if anyone had asked me I wouldn't have had a clue, but seeing it there it rung a bell).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toast said:

37 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Also 13. I got the Betty Boothroyd and Alistair Darling ones wrong. I had lucky guesses with The Smiths and Sinead O'Connor questions. 

Another 13. Irritatingly got the Friends one wrong, having initially had the right answer but then talked myself out of it trying to think if the reunion had celebrated a significant anniversary. I also got the Smiths one wrong - not my scene at all. Educated guesses on Mary Quant and Cormac McCarthy, complete guesses on the last 2 (MacGowan and O'Connor). 

7/15

I knew the Friends one having seen every episode since its debut: I was 9 years old; the other answers would have put me at 3, 5, or 7 which is improbable. The nightly news covered it being picketed by the Evangelicals. It was a huge thing in school whether you were allowed to watch or not.

and I knew Tina Turner's name.

5 hours ago, time said:

I got 13, missing out on the Matthew Perry & Betty Boothroyd questions. The Sinead O'Connor and Smiths questions were one's I wasn't 100% sure of but opted for the right answer. Some of them I got right because I recognised the answer in the multiple choice (e.g. Mystic Meg's real name - if anyone had asked me I wouldn't have had a clue, but seeing it there it rung a bell).

Same here with Mystic Meg!  There were several where I wasn't 100% positive but was immediately drawn to the answers, so I guess I subconsciously knew them.

12/15 - 9, 10 & 11 I got wrong - bit of a run!