Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

3 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Dalek Operator Cy Town has died aged 93.

He was a DDP pick when I joined this forum way back in 2008. Didn’t think he’d live this long. Surprised that William Russell has outlived him though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redrumours said:

He's been "EXTERMINATED"!

ANNIHILATED .....

On 28/03/2024 at 11:16, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Dalek Operator Cy Town has died aged 93.

Had expected an obit by now in the form of a Mirror or Metro style article. I don't think he's the type to get a full Guardian or Telegraph style obit, so looking like he could end up as a List of the Lost name in the DDP.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Had expected an obit by now in the form of a Mirror or Metro style article. I don't think he's the type to get a full Guardian or Telegraph style obit, so looking like he could end up as a List of the Lost name in the DDP.

I think his only hope is the Guardian, most likely written by Toby Hadoke.

On 09/07/2020 at 12:39, msc said:

Georgine Anderson (born 1928) - one of the old lesbians in Gridlock (2007) - not sure if you were counting New Who. But then Thelma Barlow, so you must be...

Georgine Anderson Stage Obit: https://www.thestage.co.uk/obituaries--archive/obituaries/actor-georgine-anderson

Died 15 February according to IMDB. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/08/2021 at 00:50, msc said:

1934 –Mary Peach, Jeremy Young, Billy Cornelius, Ann Davies, Robert Aldous, Jean Marsh, Kenneth Ives, Gilbert Wynne, Vernon Dobtcheff, Christopher Benjamin, Tom Baker, Roy Macready, Sylvia Syms, Mitzi McKenzie, John Davies, Leila Hoffman, Martin Muncaster, Jean Challis, Nicholas McArdle (c.), Annette Crosbie, Burnell Tucker

Martin Muncaster, voice of the Tannoy in Terminus for Doctor Who, reportedly dead: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-69023750

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Martin Muncaster, voice of the Tannoy in Terminus for Doctor Who, reportedly dead: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-69023750

Being quoted by you in this thread is very ominous! Especially with some of the legends born 1934.

Muncaster better known as a TV presenter, iirc he appears as himself in an episode of Yes Minister.

• Like 1

On 17/08/2021 at 01:50, msc said:

16.  1938 – Tina Packer, Milton Johns, Brian Hodgson, Warris Hussein, Spencer Chapman, Frances White, John Tillinger, David Weston, Tim Goodman, Christopher Dunham, Richard Kane, Christopher Robbie, Leslie Schofield, Laurence Harrington, Tim Preece, Julian Fox, Roy Boyd, David McKail, Eleanor Bron, John Savident, Tony Selby, Val McCrimmon, John Tordoff, Derek Jacobi, Penelope Lee, Col Farrell, Marcus Hammond, Martyn Huntley (c.), Roslyn de Winter, Douglas Ditta, Pamela Greer (c.), George Gallacio

English actor Roy Boyd (Wikidead at 85

image.png.16f27aceddf8e3b242464d7e1b77ae46.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, openviews said:

Photo of former voice of the Daleks and currently Grandpa Pig David Graham who turns 99 next month..

https://x.com/thegeorgelayton/status/1797966889832059151?s=61&t=hkSjmZZYj4UaY8qO8XYzFA

1. He has his own thread

2. The picture is from last year and was already posted on this forum.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2024 at 13:08, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Following the death of Michael Jayston the list of classic Doctor Who serials with no surviving guest actors is up to 6. With those being An Unearthly Child, Planet of the Giants, The Rescue, The Power of the Daleks, The Deadly Assassin and The Ultimate Foe. (You could technically include the Edge of Destruction but it had no guest cast to begin with so I don't think it counts).

An Unearthly Child & Planet of Giants have 2 regulars - Russell and Ford

The Rescue is just Russell and O'Brien

Power and Assassin both just have 1 surviving cast member being Anneke Wills and Tom Baker respectivly

and now The Ultimate Foe has Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford.

William Russell's death leaves Carole Ann Ford as the last surviving (credited) actor from An Unearthly Child, The Edge of Destruction and Planet of the Giants and Maureen O'Brien for The Rescue.

• Like 3

incomplete* Hartnell Era Alumni (of note) still standing

*basically, folk who have a decent chance of QO

On Screen

Carole Ann Ford (1940) - Susan

Maureen O'Brien (1943) - Vicki

Peter Purves (1939) - Steven, better known for Blue Peter and as the voice of Crufts

Anneke Wills (1941) - Polly

Virginia Wetherell (1943) - Dyoni in The Daleks, plus Hammer Horror and A Clockwork Orange

Marcus Hammond (1938) - Antodus in The Daleks, plus Z-Cars

David Graham (1925) - Charlie the Barman from The Gunfighters and many Dalek voices, plus every nearly every show of your childhood

Derren Nesbitt (1935) - Tegana in Marco Polo, plus The Prisoner, Where Eagles Dare and Special Branch

Fiona Walker (1944) - Kala in The Keys of Marinus, plus I Claudius and The Woman in Black

Dave Anderson (1945) - Aztec in The Aztecs, de Marun in The Crusade and Sven the Viking in The Time Meddler, plus nearly every Scottish show ever made since the sixties (Taggart, Still Game, Brond, Tutti Frutti, you'll recognise him instantly)

Ilona Rodgers (1942) - Carol in The Sensorites, plus Prisoner Cell Block H

Neville Smith (1940) - D'Argenson in The Reign of Terror, but far better known as the writer of memorable Public Information Film kid shitscarer Apaches

Kay Patrick (1941) - Poppaea in The Romans and Flower in The Savages, later producer of Corrie

Peter Fraser (born circa 1938) - David Campbell in The Dalek Invasion of Earth, plus The French Lieutenant's Woman

Roslyn de Winter (1938) - Vrestin in The Web Planet and The Ghost Lady in The Chase

Julian Glover (1935) - Richard the Lionheart in The Crusade, plus... For Your Eyes Only, Star Wars, City of Death, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Game of Thrones, the bad guy from Indiana Jones - you know who he is

Tony Caunter (1937) - Thatcher in The Crusade (not that one), plus Eastenders and Queenie's Castle

Jean Marsh (1934) - Lady Joanna in The Crusade plus Upstairs Downstairs, Frenzy, The Twilight Zone, Return to fucking Oz, Willow, The Eagle Has Landed

Valentino Musetti (1943) - minor roles in The Crusade, plus Alien 3, The Italian Job, better known as stuntman and motorsports driver.

Ronald Rich - Viking in The Time Meddler, plus Hans from You Only Live Twice, believed to still be alive.

Martin Jarvis (1941) - Hilio in The Web Planet, plus The Forsyte Sage, Eastenders, lots of classical drama

Lyn Ashley (1940) - A Drahvin in Galaxy 4, plus Mrs Eric Idle from Monty Python's Flying Circus (and real life at the time)

Edward de Souza (1932) - Marc Cory, plus The Spy Who Loved Me and Sapphire and Steel

Frances White (1938) - Cassandra in The Myth Makers, plus I Claudius and the voice of Granny Pig on Peppa Pig

Roy Evans (1930) - Trantis from The Dalek Master Plan, plus Only Fools and Horses and Blackadder (a popular bit part actor - Who fans will know him as doomed Bert the Miner in The Green Death)

Pamela Greer (1941) - Lizan from The Dalek Master Plan, later became a scriptwriter for Triangle

Annette Robertson (1940) - Anne Chaplet from The Massacre

Chris Tranchell (1941) - Roger Colbert in The Massacre, plus The Onedin Line

John Tillinger (1938) - Simon in The Massacre, later became an acclaimed Broadway director

David Weston (1938) - Nicholas Muss in The Massacre, RSC stage regular

Eileen Helsby (1937) - Venussa in The Ark, plus Survivors and Bergerac.

Patrick Godfrey (1933) - Tor in The Savages, plus Clockwise and The Remains of the Day

Sandra Bryant (1945) - Kitty in The War Machines, plus On The Buses.

Behind the Scenes

Waris Hussein (1938) - director, An Unearthly Child, Marco Polo, plus Jewel in the Crown

Richard Martin (1935) - director, The Daleks, Dalek Invasion of Earth, The Web Planet, The Chase plus Crown Court and Elizabeth R

John Gorrie (1932) - director, The Keys of Marinus plus Tales of the Unexpected

Michael Imison (1938) - director, The Ark, later Noel Coward's literary agent

Brian Hodgson (1938) - sound effects

Alexandra Tynan, credited as Sandra Reid (born in the 1930s at some point) - designer of the original Cybermen

• Like 5

1 hour ago, msc said:

David Graham (1925) - Charlie the Barman from The Gunfighters and many Dalek voices, plus every nearly every show of your childhood

And your children and Grandchildren 

Grandpa Pig 

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

And your children and Grandchildren 

Grandpa Pig 

And Cedric 'Wise old' Elf in Ben and Holly which features his voice talents a lot more.

• Like 1

Marina Martin, actress turned acting agent, who appeared as Drahvin One in the Who story Galaxy 4, reportedly dead by an excellent source: 

Avengers and Hancock among her acting credits.

• Like 4

Ken Ledsham, production assistant on the Who story The Time Monster and production designer for The Ribos Operation, Destiny Of The Daleks and The King's Demons, reportedly dead: https://www.doctorwhonews.net/2024/07/ken_ledsham.html

Blake's 7, Tenko, Secret Army and yes, Jim'll Fix It among his many credits.

Dead Ken season continues!

• Like 3

Sylvester McCoy is advertising that his up coming trip to Australia will be his Final Tour...

• Like 1

On 08/08/2024 at 16:03, time said:

Actor, writer, producer, director Robert Sidaway is critically ill in a Sri Lankan hospital.

On 18/08/2024 at 22:04, msc said:

Robert Sidaway died on Friday evening.

Robert Sidaway (wiki) got a full obit from the Geletraph.  Died on 16 August 2024.

In 'Doctor Who' serials 'The Savages' and 'The Invasion' as Captain Jimmy Turner.

Well aware this could have been in the 'British Character Actors' thread or as a follow up in the 'Hospitalized' thread too.

On 03/08/2024 at 11:59, Bibliogryphon said:

Sylvester McCoy is advertising that his up coming trip to Australia will be his Final Tour...

And yet is still giving many formspotting opportunities!  Did not realize he's 81 as of two weeks ago.

Commentary on the Tory leadership race and the political nature of 'Doctor Who' from a recent BFI screening of 'The Happiness Patrol'.

Will be a guest at Collectormania Milton Keynes 6-7 September.  @YoungWillz you'll be pleased to know that Bonnie Langford is there too.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2024 at 11:59, Bibliogryphon said:

1 hour ago, Evil Grimace said:

And yet is still giving many formspotting opportunities!  Did not realize he's 81 as of two weeks ago.

Commentary on the Tory leadership race and the political nature of 'Doctor Who' from a recent BFI screening of 'The Happiness Patrol'.

Will be a guest at Collectormania Milton Keynes 6-7 September.  @YoungWillz you'll be pleased to know that Bonnie Langford is there too.

I think, and I could be wrong, this 'final tour' isn't him retiring and stopping all public appearances. I interpreted it as the last time he'll be travelling internationally for meet ups and similar events, maybe even just the last trip to Australia as I can imagine that journey isn't easy for someone of that age.

I met Sylvester back in November at Scarborough and he was perfectly well then, very energetic and he seemed like his usual self. And I know the day after that he attended the premiere for the 60th specials. So he seems to be getting along fine with a busy schedule.

Like Evil Grimace said, he's still doing conventions in the UK, I know he was in York this past Sunday. He's also set for an international appearance at the 'Gallifrey One' convention in the US in February 2025.

On a separate note I was at Whooverville 15 in Derby this past weekend and everyone in attendance was perfectly well. The only comments I will make are... That Carole Ann Ford was using a stick to get around with and was the only person (that I'm aware of) that was sitting in photoshoots, Philip Hinchcliffe looked quite a bit older than the last time I'd seen him but seemed perfectly well, and David Gooderson is starting to look a bit frail.

• Like 2

How's Colin Baker getting on? He was advertised as a guest at the Cromford Comic Con in Derbyshire last month 'subject to availability' but he was a no-show in the end. 

16 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

How's Colin Baker getting on? He was advertised as a guest at the Cromford Comic Con in Derbyshire last month 'subject to availability' but he was a no-show in the end. 

I last saw him in person in November and apart from using a walking stick he seemed in good health. In general he makes less appearances than Sylvester & Peter, but he's got a few UK cons scheduled for the rest of this year and then he, like Sylvester, is expected in America in February for Gallifrey One.

Edit: He was in Long Island USA last month, picture of him here with a balloon version of himself (top left).

2 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I last saw him in person in November and apart from using a walking stick he seemed in good health. In general he makes less appearances than Sylvester & Peter, but he's got a few UK cons scheduled for the rest of this year and then he, like Sylvester, is expected in America in February for Gallifrey One.

Oh well, at least while I was there, I got to meet the guy who was Liam Neeson's stunt double in The Phantom Menace... 

I'm also astonished that in the five years they've been holding that convention in Cromford, they've never had Brian Blessed there as a special guest. He's the patron of the Cromford Canal right next to the mill where it's held and he's often been spotted on his barge and in the cafe throughout the years. You'd think the con organisers would have his number.