Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

Reports coming in that many long lost episodes of Doctor Who thought to have been destroyed have been found.If true thi s is the biggest news in the world of Dr Who in half a century! http://www.bbcameric...des-been-found/

Oh wow. How exciting. Now we can all watch William Hartnell bouncing around in a tiny wardrobe-sized studio, in the grainiest black and white ever, fighting some alien enemies who look like they literally just got their costumes out of a Christmas cracker, with sound quality that makes those tacky talking greeting cards sound like listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony on a 79-speaker Sony Surround system with 12 different sub-woofers, and camerawork that makes the Zapruder film look like something that Stanley Kubrick and Sergio Leone collaborated on.

And just when we were all about to give up on life because we thought this day would never come.

Obviously not heard of VidFIRE then...

• Like 1

Is it something you rub on your urethra to get rid of chlamydia?

Oi! Hartnell is my favourite. :P

Haha, don't take too much offense. Strangely, I'm only being so ranty because I can't stand the show as it currently is. Somehow I'm conflating the two. I guess I figured that anyone who's enough of a hardcore obsessive to watch the shite "new" show would also get hard at this announcement. I don't mind some of the older episodes too much, really. Although they never repeat them any more.

I have some misgivings about the new series but have come back to the series after David Tennant left. Doctor Who has never been about special effects but about story telling and when it is at its best it can tell brilliant stories. The new series does not seem to have adapted to the format although I do like Matt Smith's portrayal.

Guest Death Watch Beatle

Can't find it anywhere else on here, but sorry anyway if it has been posted already, but Angus MacKay, who played the first Borusa in Deadly Assassin, died on 8 June.

I have been away on hols this last week. From what I gather there has been no more news about this supposed find of missing episodes. Is this correct? :(

Guest Death Watch Beatle

Only many many more rumours sadly...

I am not expecting them to find anything but the three I would most love recovered are The Massacre, Marco Polo and the Myth Makers, in that order. (Yes, the Hartnell historical are the Who stories I most connect with.)

Power of the Daleks would be my choice. Troughton's debut story as the first "new" Doctor...

• Like 1

Power of the Daleks would be good as would Evil of the Daleks or The Abominable Snowman.

Although my love of TBS is based on it being one of the first Target books that I got and sometimes the books can give a better impression than the TV series. However Tomb of the Cybermen did not dissappoint.

Power of the Daleks would be my choice. Troughton's debut story as the first "new" Doctor...

One of the many rumours doing the rounds online is that this is indeed one of the episodes that they have recovered and that Anneke Wills has already recorded a commentary for its release.

I am not sure if I like Troughton's Doctor or not. He is a fine actor (possibly even the best to play the role) but I am not that enthused by the whole "cosmic hobo" persona he adopted. I guess I prefer Hartnell's "grumpy but dignified old git", probably because I am turning into one myself.

Don't you lot have your own forums you can go to?

• Like 2

Well this thread was called Dr Who (Not Dr Who) or something, so we're still on-topic...ish!

The trouble with the later 1960s Dalek stories is that for one reason or another they weren't as well distributed as the earlier ones, so copies would indeed be hard to come by. The best hope is possibly Marco Polo, which sounds like a classic.

Hartnell's interpretation of the role is very different than subsequent Doctors. Troughton is actually considered the model for the Doctors that followed...

Yes, I guess that is why I like Hartnell so much more than the others. Also, they gave up on the pure historical soon after Trough ton started, so this is where the rot set in, from my point of view. I wish they had done more with the character of Victoria too - a Victorian girl exploring the modern world could have been a great idea as they could have tackled subjects like her reaction to 1960s feminism, etc. We ended up getting more of that in Adam Adamant Lives, at least, which is why I like that show so much.

Anyway, back on topic before anyone else gets too cranky with me, have there been any health updates for Janet Fielding lately?

It is a curious fact but there seems to be quite a lot of Doctor Who fans inhabiting this site and most British actors have some loose connection with Doctor Who and so the thread has plenety of food to keep it going.

It is also a sad fact that if you have ever been in the presence of more than one Doctor Who fan at once it is difficult to get them to shut up on thier favorite topic.

• Like 2

It is a curious fact but there seems to be quite a lot of Doctor Who fans inhabiting this site and most British actors have some loose connection with Doctor Who and so the thread has plenety of food to keep it going.

It is also a sad fact that if you have ever been in the presence of more than one Doctor Who fan at once it is difficult to get them to shut up on thier favorite topic.

This topic did indeed start its forum life as a Doctor Who discussion.

Many DW episodes were broadcast (with subtitles in Dutch) on Dutch TV. Early episodes I don't remember, but from the 1970's I've enjoyed DW thoroughly, several times from behind the sofa. I didn´t learn that many more people did and do the same, until this topic was started here.

I declare Doctor Who on topic.

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

This topic did indeed start its forum life as a Doctor Who discussion.

Many DW episodes were broadcast (with subtitles in Dutch) on Dutch TV. Early episodes I don't remember, but from the 1970's I've enjoyed DW thoroughly, several times from behind the sofa. I didn´t learn that many more people did and do the same, until this topic was started here.

I declare Doctor Who on topic.

regards,

Hein

Was there ever a Dutch equivalent of Doctor Who, Hein? You know: scary for kids, funny for adults, bit of leg for the Dad's sort of thing?

Janet Fielding, one of the Magnificent Seven I need to die to get all 20 deaths on the DDP (even if Pardee doesn't obit, he's still dead), looks like she is pulling through at the moment - https://twitter.com/...8207488/photo/1 - she's going to be in Slough on the 3rd August - surely there must be a Whovian who would be so kind to go and find out if Fielding remains an inspired pick or whether she is now recovered and subsequent ruin hopes of a Grand Slam.

Janet Fielding, one of the Magnificent Seven I need to die to get all 20 deaths on the DDP (even if Pardee doesn't obit, he's still dead), looks like she is pulling through at the moment - https://twitter.com/...8207488/photo/1 - she's going to be in Slough on the 3rd August - surely there must be a Whovian who would be so kind to go and find out if Fielding remains an inspired pick or whether she is now recovered and subsequent ruin hopes of a Grand Slam.

I had a weird dream last night that Janet Fielding had committed suicide. All I remember from the dream is hearing different reports, one stating that she'd crashed her car into a tree and another stating that it was an overdose.

On youtube she's on the panel of the BFI Doctor Who season. She looked fine to me.

Was there ever a Dutch equivalent of Doctor Who, Hein? You know: scary for kids, funny for adults, bit of leg for the Dad's sort of thing?

No. I did quite some thinking about that question, but I couldn't think of anything like DW. Dutch TV couldn't, and can't, afford to spend the kind of money the BBC can pour into original drama.

Also, did Blake's 7 ever make it to the Netherlands?

Yes. I quite liked it.

regards,

Hein

No. I did quite some thinking about that question, but I couldn't think of anything like DW. Dutch TV couldn't, and can't, afford to spend the kind of money the BBC can pour into original drama.

Also, did Blake's 7 ever make it to the Netherlands?

Yes. I quite liked it.

regards,

Hein

Really? Blimey, Dutch TV must have been brassic in the 1970s as Doctor Who was fairly cheap!

Of course one of the vanguard Saturday night TV progs in those days along with DW was 'The Generation Game', based on a Dutch game show...

• Like 1

Guest Guest

The actor Gerard Murphy, who played the part of Richard in the Dr Who story Silver Nemesis has died http://newrytimes.co...rd-murphy-dead/

Also the actor Kristopher Kum who played the Chinese delegate Fu Peng in the Mind of Evil has died at 84 , and the actor Michael Goldie who played Jack Craddock in the Dalek Invasion of Earth has died http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2013/08/obituary.html